videogamesm12 - System Administrator Application

Please Note: The TotalFreedom Forum has now been put into a read-only mode. Total Freedom has now closed down and will not be returning in any way, shape or form. It has been a pleasure to lead this community and I wish you all the best for your futures.
    • Official Post

I haven't filed an application like this in literal years and I wouldn't have considered doing this if it wasn't for the circumstances we are in.

1. What is your Minecraft IGN?

videogamesm12 is my main account both VideoGameSmash12 and StevenOurGod are my alternative accounts.

2. What time-zone are you in?

Mountain Daylight Time.

3. What experience have you got in Infrastructure / Systems administration in general?

• As a pastime, I actively manage a web server running Ubuntu which hosts files like text files and pictures.
    • Since I love pain, I use Linux as my main operating system (which is a one-way trip on the highway to hell on its own, but it's only further amplified by the fact that it's Arch Linux).
    • As a developer, in the past I literally had to work with the clusterfucked system that was Dev-Freedom-01 and its Fort Knox login system, which despite feeling like I was sticking my dick in a Cheerio every time I tried to use it, I still had enough patience to work with it.
    • To ensure that we had at least some form of backups, I wrote a script that periodically scraped schematics and log files from the HTTPD server on a Windows machine using the scheduled tasks feature and sent the files to a 7z archive.

4. What experience have you got in Minecraft server administration?

I am currently responsible for updating server plugins, keeping Scissors up to date, and overall keeping the lights on. I have had direct SFTP access under Seth's era and utilized this access to keep the lights running when those who were responsible for doing so gave up.

5. Why do you want the role?

With our server being so horrendously outdated and with the disk space situation of the server worsening every day, the writing is on the wall: we're running out of time. I want to get involved in any way possible to ensure that Ryan's plan actually goes through, and with Ryan's schedule being as uncertain as it is (not to mention the fact that he also has to manage Mastodon UK, which has practically consumed all of his free time), I am not confident that this will happen unless I take the initiative and do it myself in cooperation with the server's development circles.

However, I cannot do this with the level of access that I have now, because Pterodactyl's SFTP system is quite limited and quite frankly I don't think it would be able to handle the job that I want it to do. I am seeking direct access to Steven's box solely because file access there is much more efficient and it will not throw an error when I try to even view the folder that contains all of the map art data. I'm not even making that one up, this is an exact issue that I face with Pterodactyl.

Furthermore, I am interested in building my resume. Being able to list the fact that I have experience working with the systems we have now would be pretty useful for any future job opportunities that I might have in the future.

• Vouch. In my 1 year knowing Video, he has been very competent with the management of his own systems. Considering how long he has been on TF for and considering the fact that he is a Developer, Forum Moderator, Discord Administrator, Senior Admin and interim Freedom Owner (even though we all know he essentially acts at the freedom owner now, given how long StevenNL2000 has been missing in action for). I can't think of any reasons why he shouldn't receive the System Administrator role considering his de-facto ownership of the Freedom gamemode.

• Vouch. With Video's dedication to TF and what Allink said and just knowing that we can all trust Video, I can say that he is a really good candidate for this role.

Hub Moderator

Admin

Rhythm Game Enthusiast

Owner @ [REDACTED]

• Official Post

As a developer, in the past I literally had to work with the clusterfucked system that was Dev-Freedom-01 and its Fort Knox login system, which despite feeling like I was sticking my dick in a Cheerio every time I tried to use it, I still had enough patience to work with it.

Fwiw it's the exact same system on all of the physical hosts... And genuinely more complex because ptero using docker and docker mounts.

• Vouch, video has a lot of knowledge about the server and has been part of it for literal YEARS. I would trust him with a nuclear football.

Admin // Hub Moderator // Master Builder

Incredibly awesome duck.

• Official Post

more complex because ptero using docker and docker mounts

Docker isn't that complex once you learn how to navigate its quirks and really get to understand it. I'm sure Video would easily be able to pick it up, if he hasn't already.

It was more about the mounts and finding them. Not impossible but due to our permissions setup it's of relatively significant complexity and more so than when video used to access the dev server.