[Discussion Point] Removal of posting in spam & drama

Please Note: The TotalFreedom Forum has now been put into a read-only mode. Total Freedom has now closed down and will not be returning in any way, shape or form. It has been a pleasure to lead this community and I wish you all the best for your futures.
  • @'Ryan' In that case S&D needs to be moderated better, with new rules on what can actually be posted there. I am now very confused as to why we are scrutinizing spam posts in the Spam and Drama section.

Realistically what are the chances of any of us convincing you not to go ahead and do this? Your opinion seems pretty set in stone.

• I would suggest in this case renaming Spam & Drama to Off Topic, forbid spam inside it (Repeating the same content over and over and over and...) and make it follow other global forum rules such as power posting, but people could still post their memes about the server or whatever

A fool's fool fools fools who foolishly accept the foolishness of a fool's fool.

Folfy_Blue make it follow other global forum rules such as power posting

All forum guidelines do already apply there. We've historically been more flexible in our approach to moderating the section because of the nature of the section.

Wild1145

Network Owner at TotalFreedom

Managing Director at ATLAS Media Group Ltd.

Founder & Owner at MastodonApp.UK

• You can always make Spam and Drama posts at StevenNL2000Freedom!

Just kidding. I genuinely think it would be worth making a falling threads plugin for Flarum. Or, maybe posts for S&D could be on an approval basis. Maybe there are some buffoonery threads that would actually be funny. I think outright banning spam and drama is maybe a little extreme. It has gotten out of control, but I think an approval system by a forum mod would be a good trial. This prevents genuine shitposts with posts that are literally just "shitpost shitpost shitpost shitpost shitpost shitpost shitpost shitpost shitpost shitpost shitpost shitpost shitpost shitpost shitpost shitpost shitpost shitpost"

• I think the true problem here is insufficient enforcement of the Forum Posting Guidelines. If you feel that someone is spamming this forum with nonsensical posts (including constantly repeating the same thing someone else said), I feel that you should be allowed to file a Forum Sanction Request about it.

To everyone in this forum, please re-read the Forum Posting Guidelines and discard the mindset of "random = funny". It's time we improve the quality of posts around here.

image.png

• I agree with @"videogamesm12"#4's point. I also believe that removing the ability to post in spam and drama will cause more harm than it will do good. People aren't going to stop shitposting just because Spam & Drama is locked, it'll probably just end up being posted somewhere else on the forum most of the time rather than the smaller fraction of S&D threads that are cross-posted now.

• I agree with @"videogamesm12"#4's points. I feel we should not remove spam and drama posting abilities because it will result in no proper place for the inevitable shitpost, but the brakes do need to be put on the low quality, unfunny shitposts that pollute this forum and easily qualify as power posting. Keep spam and drama open for the shitposts that are actually funny, like this fine example.

javaw_VqNRNZdU6Q.png
    image.png
    image.png

• Can I please encourage people to read the original post. Nobody is suggesting we delete or remove spam and drama...

Wild1145

Network Owner at TotalFreedom

Managing Director at ATLAS Media Group Ltd.

Founder & Owner at MastodonApp.UK

• There is this perception that Spam and Drama has historically always welcomed threads that don't even contain a single coherent sentence. That is absolutely not true: those threads were simply deleted as soon as a Forum Mod came across them.

I actually think that going back to that and being more strict about what can stay, without banhammering everyone, will be enough to solve the problem, because I have the idea that people only feel free to make these threads when they see others doing it too.

• Is there no way to limit someone making a new thread in there to every 48 hours or something? It would stop the same person posting the same threads over and over, whilst also allowing some, albeit, limited spam and drama functionality for those who actually want to post.

• While I think the current state of that section and the general behaviour of some users are not ok, blocking it would raise the problem of what place will good joke threads have. And we need those for community engagement, considering how young many people are.

I think Steven's right, especially at the end of his message. People tend to emulate what the others do.

TotalFreedom's Executive Community & Marketing Manager