Posts by StevenNL2000

I've compared the files provided by Dragon with what we have on the server right now and the changes are not that big (current -> suggested). This also means that if these configs were indeed reset, we most likely didn't lose a lot of customization:

bukkit.yml:
    spawn-limits.water-animals from 5 to 15

spigot.yml:
    settings.attribute.movementSpeed.max from 2048.0 to 256
    settings.bungeecord from true to false
    world-settings.default.verbose from false to true

paper.yml:
    world-settings.default.keep-spawn-loaded-range from 10 to 7
    world-settings.default.per-player-mob-spawns from true to false

I haven't applied the changes mentioned above, but the suggestion to enable use-faster-eigencraft-redstone is now formally approved.

Separate post to keep the announcement formal:

I know this is going to generate some discussion, but my opinion is that if we're going to have rules, we should apply them consistently, and fact is that Ginlang was suspended for a very similar thing less than 2 weeks ago.

I don't disagree that Ryan talking about Pixelmon is not the most exciting think to leak. The problem is that if we use that as our standard, we're essentially saying that you're allowed to leak messages unless the information was actually sensitive, which is going to cause way more problems than it solves.

In consultation with the admin officers, @"DragonSlayer2189"#25 has been removed from his position as Assistant Creative Designer and is indefinitely suspended from the Admin rank. The cause is a recent Discord screen share by Dragon where a message from the executive channels was leaked. It has been clarified multiple times in the past that the confidentiality of admin channels is in fact taken seriously.

As you know, things that require your attention always happen when you are busy, so this announcement is a bit late. Charge has informed Ryan and me that they no longer want to continue in the position of Executive Community Manager for personal reasons. I want to thank them for the work they've done for the server.

Instead of immediately appointing someone else, I would like to take the opportunity to reimagine how the Community Manager can best help the server. Up until now, the main card they have been able to play is events, but these have not always been very successful. I would like to know what you think the role's responsibilities should be and what they should be focusing on.

In the meanwhile, the running tasks of the Community Manager will be taken over by the Marketing Manager team, which is very closely related anyway. That means that you can contact @"Tizz"#240 or @"Alco_Rs11"#91 for questions about events, Mentally Unstable, etc.

TL;DR: The freedom server will be moved to the panel and to a new hosting server owned by me. If you are a Senior an admin, send your email address to an admin officer for a panel account.

This has been a long time coming, but the freedom server is finally being migrated to the Pterodactyl panel. This will hopefully allow us to put the issues we've had with the Discord bot behind us and make the server more likely to restart by itself after a crash.

You might be wondering if there was some genius insight that suddenly made the panel move happen after all this time. The answer is: not really. It was originally supposed to happen with the 1.18 update, but the truth is that the freedom server is massive and was slowly but surely outgrowing the existing hosting server. That's why it's also being moved to a new hosting server with more space at the same time. An important detail is that the new one is not paid for by Ryan, but by me, which makes the ownership structure a little bit more straightforward.

A panel also means panel accounts. Unfortunately, there is a problem: Pterodactyl currently has absolutely no logging. That's why panel access is starting off as only for Seniors and without console commands (only start and stop). This is not ideal, and I am still looking for better suggestions, so please make them if you have them. Management of panel accounts will be done by the admin officers, so if you are a Senior an admin, please send one of them your email address so they can create an account for you. The panel will require you to enable 2FA before doing anything.

The migration will happen on March 29, 2022 at 20:00 (8 PM) UTC. It is a bit short notice, but that's only because it's actually outgrowing the existing server pretty quickly too.

Edit: If you care, here are the specifications of the new server, which is dedicated:
    Hetzner AX41-NVMe
    CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 (6 cores, 12 threads)
    RAM: 4x16GB Crucial DDR4-2666
    Disk: 2x512GB Samsung NVMe SSD
    Network: 1 GBit/s, unlimited traffic

I agree with the argument you're making: It would be bad if a user who only committed a day ban offense was indefinitely banned just because an unrelated user claimed the account was theirs. This possibility was discussed on the request as well. However, it's not actually applicable to what happened here, since you two do know each other.

Overlooking that, I will be lenient and give you (both?) another chance since it has been over a year. I would advise against sending more messages like the ones posted by Red above if you would like the chance to last, though.

You may have noticed that my activity over the past while has been spotty. That's not because I keep forgetting about TotalFreedom; it's quite the opposite, because despite having a busy day, I feel guilty every time I decide to go to sleep at the end of it instead of opening up the forum or the Discord server, since I know that there are people there who are counting on me to timely handle situations, and it causes stress within the admin team when that doesn't happen.

At the same time, it's important to realize that it's not healthy to feel guilty about getting enough sleep. People who have been here for a while know how this server has the uncanny ability to push people over the edge. It happened to Seth, but it also already happened to Ryan, and it can happen to you as well. If you notice that being here is not good for you, but you can't stay away, please take this from me: 10 years from now, you will regret not taking care of your mental health much more than you will regret not having a title on a Minecraft server.

As for myself, I am not about to go insane, go rogue, resign, or "pull a Windows". I will make every effort to be available going forward, since everyone contributing is what keeps the community together. Let's work together to keep TotalFreedom healthy while also keeping the people within it healthy.

Approximately 5 months ago, 4 users (Fabrigonation, KMPK99, sagemodewade, and UsefulSam28) were indefinitely banned for abusing an exploit in the NetworkManager plugin to ban innocent players. The provided evidence clearly showed that the punishments were logged under their names, and there was no reason to assume that this information could be forged. Some changes were made to fix the exploit, and they seemed to have worked since there were no further issues.

However, 2 days ago, the exact same exploit was used to kick and ban multiple players, this time under the name of admin riawo. Unlike last time, several other admins were engaged and verified that it was unlikely that riawo actually performed the actions. A player that had just joined then came forward and claimed that they used an exploit to achieve this.

This of course caused suspicion, and after some investigation, the worst-case scenario turned out to be true: There was a serious issue in NetworkManager that gave a very high level of access, enough to give out arbitrary punishments while impersonating any player. Updates on the exploit itself will be posted at https://forum.totalfreedom.me/d/3698.

With that in mind, the only reasonable thing to do is to nullify the indefinite bans of all 4 users above. That means that for future issues, the players should be treated as if these indefinite bans never existed, not as if they were banned and unbanned.

Of course, that doesn't take away from the fact that 4 users were unfairly banned for almost half a year. On top of that, they received comments that they were simply lying about the situation. Although I didn't personally add these bans and didn't even consider the possibility of such an exploit, I am ultimately responsible. Therefore, on behalf of everyone that meant well but was misled by the situation: I am sorry.

1. Minecraft name: spox
    2. Discord username and discriminator (username#discriminator) (if any): fionn#3779
    3. Approximate date of indefinite ban: August 8, 2021
    4. Reason for indefinite ban. Please do not lie and try to be sincere and apologize as applicable: Breaking UK Law — in essence, leaking screenshots which were protected by an NDA I signed. In the sixth months that I’ve been banned I’ve really matured as a person and realised that my behaviour near the end was far from acceptable under any right. I’ve since made amends to Ryan and I feel like I’m ready to return to the community.
    5. Do you agree to follow our server rules (see https://forum.totalfreedom.me/d/7) and the rules in place on the forum (https://forum.totalfreedom.me/d/5), and all the conditions stated above? Yes.
    6. Please provide the one IP that you will be using to login to the server. If you don't know it, visit ip4.me and cut and paste the result. All other IPs that you used to get indefinitely banned will remain indefinitely banned. Don't provide a VPN IP. You can probably just unban my username, my IP has long since changed and since I don’t have a stable internet connection at the minute I can’t really give an IP that would remain accurate for more than a week.

I first want to point out that the fact that it was a bug cannot be used as a get-out-of-jail-free card. Yes, it is not batchest's fault that the bug was there. However, as mentioned above, the conduct policy at the time was clear on this topic, and it was obvious that the access was not authorized:

f. Unauthorized access to admin-exclusive resources.

With that said, there is still a split vote here coming from doubts about whether batchest actually issued the ban command. batchest has sent his client logs to Video, but the chat logs were missing from them, which means they did not provide any useful insights. On the other hand, Ryan has provided evidence that reasonably allows you to conclude that batchest did issue the command. For that reason, I have to give the benefit of the doubt to Ryan.

If you remove the arguments above from the votes, it becomes clear that the objections win out, which means this appeal is denied. You may appeal again in 30 days.