RE: Video’s suspension

Please Note: The TotalFreedom Forum has now been put into a read-only mode. Total Freedom has now closed down and will not be returning in any way, shape or form. It has been a pleasure to lead this community and I wish you all the best for your futures.
  • I woke up this morning to see Video being suspended, with the reasoning being ‘attacking the skyblock server’.

Video is one of, if not the most dedicated admins of our community. He is also a dedicated developer.

So my first question is, how did Video ‘attack’ the server?

My second question is, was Video’s achievements over the last 7 years as an admin considered for his suspension?

You! So my first question is, how did Video ‘attack’ the server?

from videos perspective on this when i asked him. it was somewhat along the lines of

• joining with fucked up names
    • getting banned for flyhacks
    • evading that ban

assrix, assryx, asterisk, *

awesomeist tf blokey

You! how did Video ‘attack’ the server?

I can't access Discord now so I wonder if it's because of that time Red ip-banned him or it's a new incident.

Edit: looks like Lyicx has replied whil I was typing

TotalFreedom's Executive Community & Marketing Manager

You! So my first question is, how did Video ‘attack’ the server?

I don't have confirmation that this is what got me suspended, however I highly suspect this is what got me suspended. To prove a point about why being a cracked server is a bad idea and to have a quick laugh, I joined the Skyblock server under the following usernames:

• Herobrine
    • popbob
    • bluewestwood
    • cat
    • joder
    • Scheisse
    • ballsack
    • CuckedFunningly
    • CumSock
    • CumRag
    • saturnturn
    • CumDump
    • RedFastWood
    • YandereDev
    • Deez_Nuts
    • EvaXephon
    • ip_check

Under EvaXephon, I triggered the server's anticheat plugin for flying, and was promptly banned by Red for like 5 minutes. Fair enough. To check if the ban was based on IP, I attempted to connect with the same IP address under the final name, ip_check. I didn't expect it to actually work, so when it let me in I (unnecessarily rudely) remarked that bans should be done by IP. Both my client-side logs and my Replay Mod recordings back these claims up.

Tizz I wonder if it's because of that time Red ip-banned him or it's a new incident.

I have not used the Skyblock server since then as my IP ban is still in effect.

image.png

• I could see how the suspension is validated but the reason that video "attacked" the server is the incorrect reason. I would've simply said "misconduct" and that would've resulted in a lesser controversy. Attacking a server means you're either DDoS'ing the server, or blatantly crashing the server, neither of which video did.

• I'm guessing it wasn't just what he did that got him banned, but more-so the fact that he did it in the first place. IIRC Ryan gave strict instructions not to fuck with the skyblock server and that in doing so, it would be treated like any other punishment on the freedom server. Video went against this.

If this was an OP, video would've been banned by now (and potentially indef'ed for bypassing, although i'm not too sure on how the skyblock punishment system works) so the fact that it took this long for any insight to be given is surprising tbh.

p.s "attacked" isn't the right word to use here, although he did exploit with malicious intent

• I didn’t witness the event, from the way it was described to me I got the impression that he hacked, and cheated in multiple ways, got banned and bypassed his ban a shitload of times (something that would probably get a normal user permbanned).

That sounds like an attack to me, regardless of whether that’s the case, it’s not behaviour i’d except from a senior admin.

elmon got banned and bypassed his ban a shitload of times

I've read some convos between Video and Red in Discord at the time along with some screenshots and I'm inclined to believe Video's claim that his first ban bypass has been the only one.

TotalFreedom's Executive Community & Marketing Manager

It definitely was not. He was banned on most if not all of those alts

@"videogamesm12"#4 is this true? was each, or many, of the accounts banned before you logged into the next one, or did the bans aside from EvaXephon all happen after the fact?

•   RedEastWood This is false. Every time I left in those chat logs, it was on my own accord (by clicking the Disconnect button) with the exception being the EvaXephon account, which was banned for 5 minutes.
    https://videogamesm12.me/VsbkOhZHOLLB.png

Under the impression that I was banned after I left, are you trying to suggest that I somehow knew that I was banned every time I switched alts, despite not receiving a ban message as a result of me leaving on my own accord until the EvaXephon ban occurred?

image.png

videogamesm12 Every time I left in those chat logs, it was on my own accord (by clicking the Disconnect button) with the exception being the EvaXephon account, which was banned for 5 minutes.

thanks, i was waiting for this response before commenting.

this offense deserves at most a 1 day ban and a warning for suspension. it looks like there is a strained relationship between video and red, and red is using the extent of his power to make an example of video. this is the first offense of its kind from video, and i don't believe it was malicious whatsoever.

i don't think the amount of accounts or their names were part of the ban reason, but just in case, the names don't sound very obscene for totalfreedom's standards, and none of them are of the variety that specifically target a person or group.

Shdwo although he did exploit with malicious intent

i don't agree. please note that the name used for ban bypassing was "ip_check", meaning it was never intended to be used to play the server, and was only created to check if the ip was banned. he did not expect to be able to log back in, but he had a theory that he wanted to test. if his theory was wrong, the most that would have happened is a few lines in the console saying a connection attempt failed. if his theory was right, he could report the bug, and he did exactly that immediately before leaving.

video posted an image of the chat log of the entire time the account was online. he logged in, pointed out the bug, left, and didn't come back.

if anything, i believe redeastwood owes him a thank you for pointing out this bug, and this community should be glad that it was video who decided to find this exploit rather than a real bypasser. out of respect for the ban, which he completely deserved by flying, he left immediately and hasn't been back since. video clearly had constructive intent. his tone obviously shows that he doesn't like red, but if he really meant harm, he would have kept the exploit to himself. if the suspension is happening because he was rude to red, that's not an appropriate response.

Shdwo exploited your admin status on the freedom servers

he is not receiving preferential treatment. no part of what video did had anything to do with his admin status. he may have used his development experience with tfm to recognize that the tfm logic which bans players by ip was not implemented in skyblock. the habit of considering the logic of different cases is what makes a programmer good.

you have a good developer. don't burn him.

FromTimeToTime if anything, i believe redeastwood owes him a thank you for pointing out this bug

It wasn’t a bug, you need to understand the situation here. I used the command /ban on Video’s alts, because he is a senior admin and I didn’t want to ban his IP entirely. I went out of my way to make the ban username only, because I thought video was mature enough to just leave it alone at that point.

After that he rejoined and effectively bypassed his ban, so I banned his IP with the standard /banip command I have the skyblock staff use. I’m not really sure how you think that’s a bug, when I deliberately used the /ban command instead of the /banip command.

videogamesm12 Every time I left in those chat logs, it was on my own accord (by clicking the Disconnect button) with the exception being the EvaXephon account, which was banned for 5 minutes.

You’re forgetting about the vast amount of alts you used on that day, and I distinctly remember banning you on three separate occasions for stuff my anti cheat pinged to me. These included flight hacks, timer hacks, and fast break/place. I am also fairly certain you were banned more times, but I just checked and all logs have been lost since we moved to Superior Network’s infrastructure - so I will leave that point as it’s essentially just my word against yours which doesn’t do anything for either of us.

The reason for your suspension and my anger towards this situation is that you went out of your way to harm player experience on the Skyblock server, by joining with distasteful alts (even after being banned initially), using a hacked client even though it’s against the rules, and the remarks you made so openly about how you were “going to have a fucking field day with these alts”

FromTimeToTime red is using the extent of his power to make an example of video.

All I did was inform elmon of this incident, I left it up to him to devise a suitable punishment; as that is not my job. If you think elmon was influenced by me, I can assure you that is untrue.

The skyblock server was a culmination of weeks of hard work, and I would expect more from a senior admin than to piss about on it with alts and so forth.

It’s also worth noting that Video himself claims that this suspension was justified, so surely that should mean something.

• Clear instructions were given to everyone that they needed to follow the skyblock rules or they would be sanctioned. It really is as simple as that, video broke the skyblock rules over and over by hacking on the server and this is him being sanctioned for his actions.

Wild1145

Network Owner at TotalFreedom

Managing Director at ATLAS Media Group Ltd.

Founder & Owner at MastodonApp.UK

RedEastWood I just checked and all logs have been lost since we moved to Superior Network’s infrastructure - so I will leave that point as it’s essentially just my word against yours which doesn’t do anything for either of us.

Minecraft logs things on the client-side as well. When I wake up in a few hours (I need to sleep now as I've been up for a little under 24 hours), I will post my client-side logs to defend myself.

image.png