Unban Noah from the Discord without submitting proof of his age

Please Note: The TotalFreedom Forum has now been put into a read-only mode. Total Freedom has now closed down and will not be returning in any way, shape or form. It has been a pleasure to lead this community and I wish you all the best for your futures.
  • He should not be required to provide ID. Doesn't it sound really dodgy that an individual who is not a representative of any actual legal authority asking for a minor to show them legal documents? If he lives in the United States, it varies by state in regards to age for obtaining an ID card. In the state where I live, you must be 14 to obtain an ID card. He should be allowed to appeal exactly 1 year past the date he was banned since he would be 13.

javaw_VqNRNZdU6Q.png
    image.png
    image.png

• Bit dodgy that he’s being asked for ID from a stranger over the internet, personally I’d just unban him.

If he has to do it, then why doesn’t everyone else? How do you know player x isn’t underage without otherwise taking their word for it?

• Noah was banned sometime in late 2020 (October to November 2020) shortly after Ryan took over as the owner. This is confirmed by multiple messages from him from the time period where he repeatedly mentioned that he was banned from the Discord.

2020-11-04-1.log

2020-12-02-5.log

[16:54:24] [JDA MainWS-ReadThread/INFO]: [TotalFreedomMod] [Discord] SolleeRockee: check discord for image
    [16:54:52] [Async Chat Thread - #0/INFO]: [•••] noah » I AM BANNED FROM THE DISCORD FUCKING IDIOT
    [16:55:02] [JDA MainWS-ReadThread/INFO]: [TotalFreedomMod] [Discord] SolleeRockee: but the judge isn't
    [16:55:10] [Async Chat Thread - #0/INFO]: [•••] noah » true but i cant see if he doesnt want it

Around the same time as the first set of logs, the ESL at the time, Darth, also noted Noah's age being 12.

2020-11-07-1.log

[16:44:07] [Async Chat Thread - #384/INFO]: [•••] noah » Trump needs to pay me in turnips before i vote for him
    [16:44:16] [JDA MainWS-ReadThread/INFO]: [TotalFreedomMod] [Discord] [Exec] Amon: Noah, you're 12
    [16:44:24] [JDA MainWS-ReadThread/INFO]: [TotalFreedomMod] [Discord] [Exec] Amon: You can't vote for years

These logs were from late 2020, when he actually was 12. It's now December 2021, and we're nearing the end of the year. If we take basic mathematics, we realize that it has been more than 1 year since he was banned. 12 + 1 = 13. There is literally no need for him to provide an ID when time itself proves his age for us.

Vouch.

image.png

• I genuinely don't know why totalfreedom has taken such a corporate turn in this recent year(s) and I don't like it. If I was a new player watching minecraft staff sign NDAs and players turning in legal documents, I sure as hell wouldn't want to be apart of that community. Noah was honest with us and rather than being rewarded for doing so, he is being penalized. Unban the man ffs

• I think it’s ridiculous that we care so much about peoples age.. This is a fucking minecraft server the only reason we apply the age rule is because of Discord’a ToS, I frankly couldn’t give a shit if someone is 11 years old as long as they don’t tell us. Then like   erin was saying ban them for 2 years or whatever depending on the age they claimed to be then unban them.
    As far as I’m concerned, we’ve done our part to enforce discord’s ToS at that point, to go to such lengths to do discord’s job for them is laughable.

• Unban thou! The archivist has spoken (REPOST #3 that is reworded and does not derail a thread whatsoever because it is a response to a comment made on this thread and no one is going to reply to it. Stop striking me and find something better to do)

•   Ivan fine. If you want to detail the thread as one of the creators if the thread I'll re categorise the thread now accordingly.

Wild1145

Network Owner at TotalFreedom

Managing Director at ATLAS Media Group Ltd.

Founder & Owner at MastodonApp.UK

• @'Ryan'

If your intention with this post was to effectively deem this thread as "off topic", please know that will have more consequences than benefits. Those who posted genuine thoughts on this matter won't care about a re-tag, they care about how this matter will be handled.

5's reply to your post is essentially my response, but I am posting to show you that your actions aren't only causing a disparity within the OP community, but within the admin community too.

• I honestly think this whole situation is being taken too far, when it shouldn’t have to be. There is so much evidence to prove that Noah’s age is 13 - from witnesses to even server logs that people probably didn’t even know existed.

Let’s also not forget that Noah might not even be his real name. Although Discord allows servers to request ID, I don’t think it’s fair to ask someone, who clearly meets the requirements, to prove that they’re 13. Has anyone even thought about how he might structure that question to his parents? His guardians? Someone he can get an ID from?

What about when said person finds out it is sent to a stranger on the internet?

I guess logic is a true issue for TF. It’s ironic that we let NSFW builds on the server (where there’s a bigger chance of people younger than even 10 being there), yet ask for ID on a discord server where the odd meme is about among us.

Looks like we need to start asking for ID for the minecraft server too.

• I just briefly talked in the discord and heard about this situation and I can’t stop myself from giving a piece of my mind on this, I gotta say, I think this is ridiculous.

Part of the reason i personally left the server back in July was because of stuff like this, taking Minecraft so seriously to the point you want someone to give an ID just to join a discord server.

Just like…. does this really matter?

Are we gonna go asking every single person for real-world-identification?

Is this really a good thing to do on a server that wants to grow as a community?

Cmon y’all

do better

• The evidence has shown that it has been a year since Noah was banned for being 12 years old. He is 13, and all signs point to it. There is no reason to keep him banned, nor is there a reason for him to present an ID. Not only that, but as Erin said, he decided to play things honestly by appealing. Objectively, an unban is the route that makes the most sense.

I am on the verge of making a leap of faith by unbanning Noah myself, but this is also something I know I will get hell for, which is why doing it is very much out of my comfort zone. So, I'm going to ask one last time -- please reconsider your decision in the face of evidence and community-wide support, before I break out of my comfort zone to do what I feel is necessary.

image.png

• I talked to Nick about this situation yesterday.
    He told me if Discord find out that your server has people under 13 in it they can just purge the server right away.
    And as Nick being the Discord Manager at the moment he doesn't want to risk that happening if Noah is truly not 13 yet.
    However I do understand Noah's side, he doesn't want to give over his details to some random geezer over the internet.

Rex2LostOldAccount if Noah is truly not 13 yet

Tell me how one banned in 2020 for being already 12 isn't over 13 in 2022 (as of now).

For clarity, as Discord rules have been amended, this is now just a general discussion, at least from me.

TotalFreedom's Executive Community & Marketing Manager

•   Rex2LostOldAccount This would only occur if there was evidence that the server administration knew of some person or persons being underage and doing nothing about it, and somebody filing a report to Discord's Trust & Safety team. Though I think usually they would send a warning to the designated moderator channel first.

There is no reason for Noah to have to give his government ID just so he can join a Discord server for an obscure Minecraft server, when all other sources of evidence point towards him being 13. It's this type of corporatization that I absolutely loathe, being someone who hates big companies already.

ピバラ。