Unban Noah from the Discord without submitting proof of his age

Please Note: The TotalFreedom Forum has now been put into a read-only mode. Total Freedom has now closed down and will not be returning in any way, shape or form. It has been a pleasure to lead this community and I wish you all the best for your futures.
  • Should Noah be unbanned without any proof of his age? 40

1. Yes (38) 95%
    2. No (2) 5%

[Link to relevant thread]
    When noah appealed his Discord ban for being underage, simplynick didn't believe that noah is old enough to access the Discord. So he asked noah to give him any legal documentation that proves he's of age to access the Discord. Since noah didn't give any info, simplynick veto'd the appeal.

People should not be forced into giving their info, especially for things like being on a Minecraft community. Imagine that you are a new player to the community and all of the sudden you an executive tells you that you must provide your documents to play on the server. You think that's stupid, so you left the server for good.

This is the type of stuff that will kill TotalFreedom, and will hurt our reputation. We don't want to be dubbed as "The Minecraft Server That You Must Provide Your Legal Documents To Play" as I wouldn't play on a Minecraft server that requires you to provide your legal documents.

In short, instead of simplynick asking noah for his legal documentation, he should have just unbanned him instead.

(This is a Minecraft server, not a movie theater or border control. Stop playing Papers Please)

• I'm not sure if this is a suggestion but I completely agree. No idea when this started but I was requested to sign an NDA which would have given wild my name and address. Nope not happening and I completely understand Noah's perspective. You should not be required to give that kind of information, especially to someone you don't know online no matter how trustworthy they could be. I remember once I fucked up my age on Google and they said I could provide government ID or pay google like 1 cent with a card to unlock my account. Obviously I chose the card option. Regardless if he has his account and meets the age now it should be no questions asked. I think this was a pretty big disappointment and hope we don't set a new precedent

• Hi, a few days ago a thread was made by @"noah"#40 in regards to his ban due to the fact he was 12 years old. A year later, and after a deactivated account by Discord, Noah has come back with a new account and is now 13. That being said, Nick has asked him for "DOB (Date of Birth) and any possibly official documents (Student ID, Passport, Birth Certificate, etc) that confirms your age. (blur or cut out the extra unnecessary and private information)".

I've already stated my comments on the original thread, but to say them again, "This is stupid. He owes you nothing… if he’s 13 then take his word for it. He honestly admitted he was underaged, so what’s the point of lying to you and saying he was 13? Blurred or not, you are not owed this information and he should be unbanned immediately."

Noah's account should be unbanned immediately without question and you are not responsible for confirming if he is 13 or not. Please vote on this poll and I hope Nick looks at this and maybe makes a decision based on votes this time...

• Here's what I would do in this current situation if it was my decision to manage. Obligatory I'm not going to be doing this on the tf discord so don't worry Nick, this is just my thoughts.

If someone says in chat or otherwise that they are 12 years of age right now, I would obviously ban them. But I would have that ban expire a full year from today. If the person feels comfortable giving over some way to prove they've turned 13 within that time, they can do that and get unbanned then. But if they don't, the ban shouldn't last longer than a year as at that point the player cannot physically be under age anymore. (same applies to 11 and 10 but just 2 and 3 years)

I understand this is maybe leaning on the strict side of what others might want, but I believe we would still be doing our due diligence to the policy by ensuring players who were banned for being underage have surpassed being underage without making us have children hand over ID (Also - when I was 13 it would've been rather hard and awkward to get my hands on my birth certificate or passport from my parents. Especially if I needed them to send to someone online..)

Considering the banned discord account was deleted, Noah could have probably gotten away with just rejoining discord on his new account. Instead, he was honest with us and is getting punished for it.

Patrolling the Mojave almost makes you wish for a nuclear winter.

• I will also make a judgement; not to say I'm going to override Nick but just my opinion

:We banned this user as he provided evidence he was 12. I sincerely doubt anyone on the team would just ban him out of nowhere, especially with no proof. This was over a year ago, he is now 13. Why do we now need proof he is 13 through identification..? In the UK 13 year olds can't even get ID? Not sure about America and all that..

I just think this is a useless thing to do. I don't see why we don't just trust the dude especially given the circumstances that he was banned for being 12, and the fact that he told the truth instead of bypassing and all.. and especially given how we had proof he was 12 that we're just seemingly ignoring now..

52-CEF3-CF-C4-FF-4798-8469-4-BDCA5-D35247.jpg

erin Also - when I was 13 it would’ve been rather hard and awkward to get my hands on my birth certificate or passport from my parents. Especially if I needed them to send to someone online..

I completely missed this aspect.

Nick do you seriously expect a 13 year old to ask their parents for a passport or birth certificate to send to someone online? Do you really think they would allow that?

Luke In the UK 13 year olds can’t even get ID

I forgot that and you're 100% right! Italian kids aren't issued an ID until they're 15. I don't know if Nick doesn't even know what's a minor's certificate for expatriation and if he'd have accepted it.

Side note for @"simplynick"#11 :

That’s how I run my discord applications and appeals.

It's Ryan's platform, not yours.

TotalFreedom's Executive Community & Marketing Manager

• Can I also say, with all due respect, 'your opinion wasn't asked for, this is my platform and i do as i please' is a condescending and sometimes quite alienating thing to be saying.. quite rude too based on what i saw in the voting thread..

52-CEF3-CF-C4-FF-4798-8469-4-BDCA5-D35247.jpg

Tizz It’s Ryan’s platform, not yours.

Although it’s Ryan’s platform, apparently Nick is meant to be managing the discord. However, his role definition does not mention moderation, but the ‘day-to-day managing’ of the Discord. The definition is as follows:

“This role will be responsible for the overall day-to-day running of the Discord server, and helping to form the overall strategy when it comes to content and structure in the Discord Server.”

However, Ryan also included this:

“Nick will be accountable to the Discord Administration team and myself when it comes to the ongoing changes in the Discord.”

The source for this information is here.

• @'wxtermelon'

That is not relevant to the topic at hand, make another thread, this thread is a shitshow enough without going off topic.

My two cents on the situation is this.

I don't believe Noah should provide documentation, however I do agree with what erin said, that to play it safe we wait around a year, since he admitted he was 12.

I understand nicks reasoning to provide documentation, as I have seen it done on other servers. However in this case I don't believe it's appropriate asking someone underage for ID.
    An example I saw on another server was for an 18+ party they asked people to provide ID.

image.png