Discussion on general competency of events...

Please Note: The TotalFreedom Forum has now been put into a read-only mode. Total Freedom has now closed down and will not be returning in any way, shape or form. It has been a pleasure to lead this community and I wish you all the best for your futures.
  •   Luke believe it or not, it was quite ill prepared. i swapped the setup to one that previously worked with the regions i setup back in the day and with undertails build he did for us awhile back

assrix, assryx, asterisk, *

awesomeist tf blokey

@'wxtermelon' believe it or not, this event has been in preparation for two weeks.

woah woah wait, this has been 2 weeks just to copy bowie's build and enchant a few items and then near the end setup one region?

actually confused right about now genuinely

assrix, assryx, asterisk, *

awesomeist tf blokey

•   RedEastWood To make it simple, we're understaffed / the involved people don't have enough free time to complete the current tasks in a sensible time. This includes Steven, which is part of the reason we haven't taken the reorganisation of the community management any further as of now.

There currently is work for an event, but it requires a special map and a 1.19 server, therefore many people and tests are needed.

TotalFreedom's Executive Community & Marketing Manager

Tizz To make it simple, we’re understaffed / the involved people don’t have enough free time to complete the current tasks in a sensible time. This includes Steven, which is part of the reason we haven’t taken the reorganisation of the community management any further as of now.

Adding onto this, it's so hard to actually host events when you're not given server access and have to wait a long time for people to add plugins and other things to the server. It's also not worth the community's certain responses to events, which is what leads to event hosts resigning.

The job is hard to do and not worth it for what it puts you through. It's as simple as that.

• Does anybody remember the days when we would have spontaneous events that were hugely successful and would be thought back on for years to come, such as the unofficial anarchy event and the golf events?

Could we have some of those? I swear it's like this formal stuff isn't anywhere nearly as successful as those kinds of events are.

image.png

• @'wxtermelon' I'd like to but security makes it difficult... non-staff event hosts basically get access to raw player data and critical plugins' configs. They'd require clearance from the server owner.

TotalFreedom's Executive Community & Marketing Manager

videogamesm12 Does anybody remember the days when we would have spontaneous events that were hugely successful and would be thought back on for years to come, such as the unofficial anarchy event and the golf events?

I was against this idea at first but I'm all for supporting it... in fact I did spontaneous events like my "test SMP" and "test BedWars" which ended up remaining as gamemodes. I'm pretty sure my random SMP's been running for 3 months now.

• Ideally, in my eyes event hosts should just be front end - if we start evaluating panel access and server access and all of these permissions they must be trusted with, it walls the role off.

Instead of looking for individuals who are passionate enough about the server to volunteer their time, we'd instead be looking at people who we can trust and are capable with server access. Things like this are going to get brought into the voting process.. and considering all of these prerequisites, we might as well be restricting it off to staff members.

I feel instead of fixing the problem by increasing the level of responsibility the role would partake, we should instead improve the communication between the event hosts and those with access to the events server.

Even without server access, we're looking event hosts to put a lot of time and effort into volunteering for this server. Piling on more responsibility and requirements to an already unrewarding position due to how tough it is to host a good event.. it's just gonna make things worse in the long term.

Patrolling the Mojave almost makes you wish for a nuclear winter.

erin I feel instead of fixing the problem by increasing the level of responsibility the role would partake, we should instead improve the communication between the event hosts and those with access to the events server.

This.

This is the main factor which lead to a lack of events last year.

@' 5 ' are you complaining that we’re relying on people with bad social skills? are the people with access unwilling to help, or are they unavailable or unreliable? or are event hosts scared to ask “could you please do x y and z for the event?”

As of the situation at the moment, I have no clue. Last year the people with server access were Nick, Lyicx and the AECM. Lyicx had Nick as the guy with server access - it was very hard to communicate to Nick as he didn’t try to communicate with us.

The state of the team last year, with its disorganisation, should be a lesson that more organisation is needed within the team