Posts by erin

I've been struggling to put words onto a screen to depict how I've been feeling regarding the server this past week or so. They're negative ones, I'll put it that way. I cared about this server too much for my own good, almost in a literal sense.

I just want to say thank you. Thank you for bringing me into your community like no other, welcoming me with open arms. Thank you for helping me feel at home and safe in this place like nowhere I've ever been before. Thank you for having the faith and trust in me to help out the server as an admin, assistant executive and later executive. Thank you for being patient with me when I was feeling down and helping get me back up again. Thank you for making me excited to wake up in the morning and for getting me through the tougher times when I perhaps didn't want to wake up in the morning. Tank you for making this the best two years of my life.

I wish you all the best of luck for the rest of your lives. It's been an unforgettable experience spending time here and I wouldn't have traded it for the world.

Once again, thank you, and goodnight.

They are never perfect and can have false positives and false negatives

We could quite simply ban the exact use of the word. To use an appropriate example, let's say we want to ban the word ice. We block the word "ice", by itself, so people can say nice, iced etc. This removes a lot of chance of false positives.

To say they aren't perfect isn't incorrect.. but doesn't solve anything. Because the current system of just dealing with it after it happens also isn't perfect.

And if all we're banning is the f slur and n word, there's only really one word in the English language that contains one of these words inside of it and nobody actually uses it for its intended purpose anymore since it's a bit outdated. (I used it once without realising but if it was blocked I could've seen why and chosen a different word).

They are incredibly easy to bypass to the point where it would become a game of whack-a-mole with the filter, where it becomes increasingly necessary to add onto the filter

I'm sure deauthorized has a proper response to this but to quote frizzydoggy twice, bypassing the filter shows the type of bad faith that ensures that it wasn't just a slip up. And as he said on the discord, people bypass bans. But we still ban people. Restrictions are bypassed all the time all over the place but they still exist and still help.

What's more, if there was some sort of notification of the filter triggering, like potspy and cmdspy, this becomes an almost non issue. Sure, they're still likely able to spam the slur with a g changed to a 6, but staff members online are more prepared since they saw what message the person tried to send.

Chat filters never take context into account

There is absolutely zero context in which dropping one of those two aforementioned slurs should be deemed acceptable anyway, and that's the most basic filter I can think of.

It could lead to us eventually using it to punish those who practice thoughtcrime (such as whose who question how we run the server) or use profanity

Can you elaborate more on what you mean by this? I'm not sure so won't give it a proper response yet.

Admins exist to keep the chat from being a slur-filled shithole

Yes, and a feature like this can be a tool that helps admins out, it isn't suggesting to auto ban anyone who drops a slur. There is literally nothing an admin can do to stop someone beginning to spam slurs since they can only act after the persons sent them. This suggestion completely eliminates a players ability to say the regular slur and would alert an admin to the chance that they do try and bypass - or even better, prevent them from getting into any trouble entirely in the event they choose a different word.

If in theory this was a thing during the akefu raids we all annoyingly love to gloat about, many of the alts would have been able to have been banned before they got a chance for one of their messages to be publically viewable.

I must have read every post on this application about 10 times. And I've taken the time, too much time to make sure that I'm happy with my decision. And I am.

I feel you've made enough positive contribution to this community to have earned a chance as admin. I won't pretend there aren't concerns, but you've addressed and responded to them calmly and sufficiently.

So without further ado, this application is approved.

Congratulations and welcome to the team.

I meant to do this earlier, but the suspension has been extended to two months due to the extension of his discord ban and the fact he went and bypassed that discord ban.

He may reinstate to admin on October 3rd.

I'm happy enough to welcome you to the team given the feedback here and my own experience with you, so this is approved.

I don't have access to NM so it might be some time for you to be added in game but I'll ensure its done as quickly as possible.

You! has been suspended for 4 weeks from his position following multiple incidents of continued disruption in the discord server, culminating in a ban.

Furthermore, considering the frankly immature behaviour causing this suspension came from a senior admin, of which should be held to a higher standard, upon return, ashaz will be demoted from senior and continue as an admin for the foreseeable future.

A little update on this.

This was a complex situation, and not an easy one to think through but I've came to a final decision and that's been communicated to Declan by now.

Amber has been suspended for 30 days - timed from the beginning of her ban - there's just over 27 days remaining at the time of writing.

Unfortunately, due to the fact Declan and Amber use the same accounts on multiple platforms and the manner in which Amber fronted on Saturday night, this means that Declan is regrettably included in this suspension too as I can't guarantee Amber won't have admin access.

This is not an ideal outcome for anyone I know. It's the best I feel I can do.

After an incident on the server last night involving impersonation which saw Amber, an alter of Declan, banned from the server for 30 days, I have made the decision to suspend @declan indefinitely while the situation is fully investigated.

Please note that the meaning of the word indefinite in this case means I haven't set a timeframe for this suspension and isn't related to the severity at this time.