Anarchy Server - Approval poll

Please Note: The TotalFreedom Forum has now been put into a read-only mode. Total Freedom has now closed down and will not be returning in any way, shape or form. It has been a pleasure to lead this community and I wish you all the best for your futures.
  • Should we work on an anarchy server for TF? When? 37

1. Yes, we should work on an anarchy server as soon as possible. (8) 22%
    2. Yes, we should work on an anarchy server, but only in the long term. (10) 27%
    3. No, we should not work on an anarchy server. (19) 51%

I believe that an anarchy server is a possible way to rekindle the community's interest in the game server, and could also present various marketing and growth opportunities for TF. I want to see what others think. Feel free to discuss this below.

• As per https://forum.totalfreedom.me/d/2255-anarchy-gamemode-update the Anarchy Server concept has been de-scoped from our current plans. There is no current desire or plans for us to re-visit this position with the current state of decline of the network as a whole and as I've stated a number of times an anarchy server will not directly grow the Freedom server, which has been the major pain point. Until we have a reasonable active player base on the Freedom game mode, I'm not planning on re-visiting the Anarchy game-mode idea.

Wild1145

Network Owner at TotalFreedom

Managing Director at ATLAS Media Group Ltd.

Founder & Owner at MastodonApp.UK

• yknow what im pissed off in general so im gonna rant here now

panther what the fuck are you doing? you were one of the most vocal people about making TF great again through the freedom server, and you gave Ryan and Red so much shit for trying new gamemodes that took time away from the main server, and now here you are as EMM doing literally nothing because you don't think people will stay on the server despite it being your job to make people stay on the server, you cite "well I want to do this but ryan doesn't" as if that excuses anything and its like me becoming admin but refusing to join because "I want to indef ban people but steven said no".

On top of that you gave Red so much shit for the skyblock, to the point where you were literally chatting shit about him behind his back for no reason other than to get others to hate him too. You literally chat so much shit about how Red was incompetent and what you would do if you had his role - well now you have it and you've done absolutely nothing. You keep using the same excuse of "oh theres no point marketing because we cant market anything on this server", then fucking step down? isn't it your entire job to put things on the server for us to market? as in it literally says it in the executive policy that that is your job? Don't sit on an empty rank if you are doing literally nothing? Let someone else at least try since you cant be bothered to do anything at all.

I'm sorry I'm ranting at you here but its been a common theme of execs on TF who don't do shit then blame someone else for not doing it, then proceed to whine about how TF is dying when its their job to make sure it doesn't die and I'm lowkey tired of it

52-CEF3-CF-C4-FF-4798-8469-4-BDCA5-D35247.jpg

• I believe an anarchy server would fit in with the name of our server - "Total Freedom". Many players in the past have complained that the server's name is misleading, arguing that "total freedom" should mean anarchy. There is a huge amount of potential to listen to these complaints and build onto it, and yet we choose to ignore it like a bug on a windshield. Why?

On paper, we could totally offer a unique experience by offering different kinds of freedom. A kind that is more civilized (leaving you to feel more free), and another that is utterly chaotic but truly lets you do whatever you want. I have always believed that TotalFreedom should return to its roots (in that it offers people as much freedom as possible), and on paper something like this would fit the bill perfectly, offering freedom in two different ways.

To those saying that we should focus on improving the main freedom server, I also agree with you. We can improve the freedom server and work on building an anarchy server at the same time.

image.png

• I support the decision to add an anarchy server. It's certainly better solution than the current boondoggle that is skyblock which still persists even though the network is "in decline," and skyblock itself gets fewer players than freedom01. An anarchy server would allow us to truly live out the "TotalFreedom" name, which is something any non-creative or anarchy gamemode could not attain. A creative-anarchy server would be run alongside the current freedom server, allowing for a more calm and stable environment for those who wish to build, and those wishing for the truly "TotalFreedom" experience could play on anarchy where chaos is encouraged. This gamemode would no longer require us to constantly remind new players that TotalFreedom is not anarchy, which is what many new joins assume TF is, given its name along with the resulting disappointment when they realise TF is anything but 'total freedom'. With an anarchy server, we could actually live up to the name "TotalFreedom" while also providing a server (existing freedom-01) where players can build freely if they so desire.

javaw_VqNRNZdU6Q.png
    image.png
    image.png

videogamesm12 and yet we choose to ignore it like a bug on a windshield. Why?

Because you can't keep flip flopping on what you want. Months ago you and the rest of the community made it very clear that you wanted sole focus to be on the freedom gamemodes, so that is what you got.

But that's besides the point, let me expand on why I believe Anarchy is a terrible idea.

We are already designed to offer as much freedom as possible in a friendly way

TotalFreedom's Freedom-01 server by nature offers as much freedom as it possibly can, and the reasons for its limitations are ones that will still be prevalent on the Anarchy server.

1. Language will still be monitored and expected to be clean, as is a feature of all ATLAS Media gamemodes. This means that your "true freedom" anarchy server will have a clean chat.

2. All exploits will be banned, especially those that crash the server in any way. A huge selling point of anarchy is that it allows players to truly stress the server to its maximum. I know this firsthand from when I used to run my own anarchy server, and dickheads (cough cough @"simplynick"#11) lagged the server through Columbus griefing. I could not outright ban that, so I was forced to upgrade my hardware - because again, no one wants to play an anarchy server with any sort of rules.

3. Builds will be monitored. An anarchy player on TF can fully expect to have their build scrutinized by staff members. On my anarchy server you couldn't go a couple hundred chunks without seeing some sort of distasteful build (in the very bad way, not your average penis build). Players will see that this anarchy server they had been sold is actually heavily restricting, in relation to other anarchy servers available for players to join.

How will it be different?

The amount of shit that me and Ryan had to endure for failing to provide a shiny brand new and original gamemode idea means that all new gamemodes absolutely 100% must be original, else you are all hypocrites.

What is different about this anarchy server? What makes it better than Kaboom, or the surplus of other up and coming anarchy servers.

It is just a phase.

I would like to bring your attention to the MiniSMP event. It was a roaring success! For the first month.

Players get bored, and we've seen it so clearly recently. Unless we produce something completely original, players will become bored of anarchy and its obvious rules (which go against anarchy as I detailed in my first point).

The main crux of my argument lies in my first point, the rest are smaller (but still very important).

Luke Took the words out of my mouth.

• My main concern with this idea is nothing to do with the actual idea of anarchy, it's more the way you're approaching it. It's the only thing you're actually trying to do and I haven't seen you take any steps to improve the retention or market the server in any other way. It makes me fear that if this were to become a thing you would focus entirely on the anarchy gamemode and allow the freedom server to just fizzle away. I'd be more willing to see an anarchy server had you put more, or any effort into at least trying to improve the freedom servers retention rather than disregarding it altogether. Who knows? You might manage to bring the player count up to a level that makes a separate anarchy server more viable.

There's also a few other secondary issues I have, such as with the nature of this communitys policies we can't offer true anarchy, and the fact that the players indefinitely banned for serious exploits will just go to the creative anarchy server and crash that.

Please don't put all of your cards on the table.

Patrolling the Mojave almost makes you wish for a nuclear winter.

• Copy-Pasting this from Discord to here.
    PS: I now know that freedom-02 is gone but we could make a new one and make/name it "Anarchy".

We could turn freedom-02 into Anarchy and just:

• Unblock all the blocks, except for command-blocks.
    • Limit WorldGuard perms to only be for trusted users, and those trusted users get more perms than standard OPs.
    • Remove ranks like in SMP, but leave a selected few committed moderators to keep people from ruining the server in whatever way possible.
    • Limit the WorldEdit maximum size.

Alco_Rs11 truly live out the “TotalFreedom” name

videogamesm12 would fit in with the name of our server - “Total Freedom”

I'm sick of people bringing this up. The server has built its identity on a creative experience with limited rules to allow for greater freedom in creating whatever you want- our identity is not anarchy and it should never be. Through this medium we have cultivated one of the most lasting communities not only in Minecraft, but on the internet.

videogamesm12 Many players in the past have complained that the server’s name is misleading

These are the same players that join with the sole intent to grief and spout slurs under the perception that this server is anarchy. These are not players who will help our community thrive.

videogamesm12 return to its roots

TF was unpopular at its genesis due to its flawed anarchy mindset. When rules were added, the server became more popular and retention increased.

videogamesm12 unique experience

Unique =/= good

videogamesm12 We can improve the freedom server and work on building an anarchy server at the same time.

No, we can't.

•   Luke So do you really think that if I start just adding features to the freedom server it's suddenly going to become entertaining? Even if that was realistic, I am not a developer, and it is unlikely that a marketing manager would be anyway. We are in a position where a large development workload is impossible due to a lack of developers. The issue of boredom on the server requires a much bigger solution. Let's say I did everything I possibly could to boost retention on the freedom server. Without development work, know for a fact that I could host events and improve voting perks and cosmetic activity incentives here, and I literally had a plan to do so a while ago, in addition to having done it all before on my own server. What is all that going to actually do for the playerbase though? People aren't going to stick around just for the 7195th bonus addition to the freedom server in attempt to approve retention, and the events grow stale and only really provide a very brief boost to the online player count. Maybe if I did these things, it'd cause people to whine and complain a little less that "Panther is doing nothing!!!" but until the retention here actually improves, people are going to complain about me anyway, and I was prepared for that to happen before I took this position. If we want to improve retention, we literally have no option but to use the skills of the staff team we have to work on a new gamemode, and Anarchy stood out to me as an excellent option because of the existence of players on TF who are seeking actual freedom instead of creative, and the marketing abilities we have.

• I think if we just persisted with good ideas we had we could do better. I'm not blaming Lyicx (I get why he got tired) but I think if he handed over the MiniSMP to someone else it might have still persisted, at least with a few players that might not be on otherwise (I certainly would play, and ria probably would too). I don't think we can really be picky with the ideas we have at this point. Personally, anarchy seems like a good idea. It might be a surprise, but I've met some really chill people on kaboom who do things that aren't possible on TF, like making amazing command block contraptions.

MiasmusAlt but I think if he handed over the MiniSMP to someone else it might have still persisted

i did hand it over to two event hosts, but the main one could not tend to it and the whole thing was a bigger flop then when i ran it

im still open for miniSMP to be its own suggestion and open to be convinced for its return but its just indefinitely dead to me because of how people acted and im really fucking salty about it

assrix, assryx, asterisk, *

awesomeist tf blokey

Panther do you really think that if I start just adding features to the freedom server it’s suddenly going to become entertaining

As EMM, you should know features isn't what's hurting player's interest in freedom. Uninvolved administration and bad mentality are. Admins who only ever talk in f1sc on discord, admins that join and go afk immediately, and admins that refuse to acknowledge newer players unless directly asked something.

!I did a little bit of an experiment last night: a new player joined and immediately asked if we had worldedit. Any admin who's been in the business more than a week knows that's a red flag for someone who just wants to grief. I saw them trying to set a selection of somebody else's build to air but was using '//clear' instead of the appropriate w.e. command. Instead of warning them not to grief, I attempted to engage them in conversation. I asked them something along the lines of "what's your favorite flavor airhead?" And that got us talking about which was the best. They stayed for about 15 more minutes chatting about different subjects then left without having broken any rules - and I bet there's a good chance they'll be back.

Panther If we want to improve retention, we literally have no option but to use the skills of the staff team we have to work on a new gamemode

I simply don't know how you've come to this conclusion. We aren't somehow going captivate a new audience by making a new gamemode.

I recommend you actually do your job as EMM and see what the playerbase wants. Put up a poll about how people first found TF to see what we can do to increase player count. Put up a poll asking people why they play TF so we can improve the experience for the people that do stay. It isn't that hard. This whole mentality of one fix all is just idiotic.