Add more incentives for being a Senior Administrator

Please Note: The TotalFreedom Forum has now been put into a read-only mode. Total Freedom has now closed down and will not be returning in any way, shape or form. It has been a pleasure to lead this community and I wish you all the best for your futures.
  • Hello,

Senior Admin used to actually mean something. You were a leader and represented the server. You were able to suspend people, had features like /fuckoff and /clownfish - it was a role that was taken seriously.

Nowadays, what is the point of being a Senior Administrator? Every admin is able to control the status of the server, everyone has access to use clownfish, no seniors can suspend anymore - it's like the point of being a Senior Admin is useless. It's literally just a title to show you are a veteran of the server at this point. And to add, no one takes the role seriously in my opinion. Seniors, at least back in the day, were an example to administrators, and OPs who aspired to become an administrator.

So please, leave some replies below as to what we can do, because this role, that I and so many others have earned, is now useless, and I think some usefulness needs to be made out of it.

• Seniors were never a good example in my opinion. The biggest "perk" of being a senior was that you were essentially immune from being suspended unless you did something really dumb (illegal). The fact that there was an extra arbitrary and completely useless promotion between the ranks (telnet clan) also contributed to the way seniors were perceived.

The Overton window has shifted, there are a lot of seniors, and a promotion means nothing except ryan is more likely to let you apply for an executive position and you get a couple extra commands. Over a year ago when I got accepted to senior, I logged on and saw the announcement and literally thought "cool anyways" and moved on. There is no difference and I highly doubt giving them extra features will change the culture around the rank, that ship has sailed.

• give me it and we shall see

no but i agree imo suspension requests should return (although not the ability to downright suspend) and i reckon we should at least consider removing telnet for normal admins and make it SrA only

52-CEF3-CF-C4-FF-4798-8469-4-BDCA5-D35247.jpg

• @UnderTails#19389 There are literally zero other than tf!console and tf!kill, and /fuckoff, /doom, just nonsense commands.

Back in the old days, you were able to suspend, had access to the Senior Admin Help section, and had panel. That was really it.

• I agree.

You need to be an admin for over a year to become a senior. It's an extremely gruelling process to become one, there's an extremely difficult application process to become one, so it's little surprise that many senior admins are inactive with the amount of time and effort needed to become one combined with the, for lack of better words, wet fart of actually becoming one and realising that you're basically an orange admin.

Patrolling the Mojave almost makes you wish for a nuclear winter.

• So clearly I've not explained what I see the difference between admins and senior admins being especially as we move forward as evidenced by the posts in this thread. I'll write something up when I'm not feeling super tired.

Wild1145

Network Owner at TotalFreedom

Managing Director at ATLAS Media Group Ltd.

Founder & Owner at MastodonApp.UK

• @Folfy_Blue#19403 "Senior" is in the name for a reason. They obviously have the most seniority out of lower admins on the server. This precedent has always been set.

And if someone wants to dig out the chain of command thread that Mark made a long time ago, I believe it still makes sense now

• I’m fairly certain that Ryan told me on discord that the Executive rank is, and I quote, "the most senior rank a player can achieve."

@Ivan#19405 They obviously have the most seniority out of lower admins on the server. This precedent has always been set.

• Senior is a symbol of leadership, someone you can ask for advice and respect, one that you can put your trust on.

Senior Admin isn't the same as it was in 2016 or before, it has lost a good chunk of its meaning and duties, Im not asking for removal of the rank because thats just ridiculous but to reform the rank and make it matter then just being another rank in the ladder.

• @redeastwood#19413 not quite sure of your point here dude the thread is ab incentivising senior so it isn't useless, not ab what ranks are achievable by hierarchy

• @redeastwood#19417 the way i see it an exec is just an admin with a job. like dev, they inherit all the powers of their respective rank as well as any additional perms based on their rank. E.g. dragon as the ecd gets all the perms of admin & the ability to add mbs, for example

• @redeastwood#19417 (Please excuse me for not being entirely on-point if I am, I don't have my ADHD medication and I tend to get really fucked when I don't have it)

Technically no. "Executive" in the past was considered above the Senior Admin rank in the hierarchy of power as only Senior Admins could hold the Executive position. However, as times have changed (with regular Admins being able to hold these positions), so has the power Executives hold. It is now merely a title and not an actual position in the hierarchy of power. This means any Admin who is an Executive wouldn't inherit the permissions a Senior Admin gets.

image.png

• Executive should have never been available for regular Admins. Assistant Exec was fine. I'm sorry if you're a regular admin and are an exec now, but it should have always been a Senior only ability since they have the most seniority and it used to be prestigious.

• I agree that the Senior Admin rank is a bit blurry at the moment, but it seems weird to me to talk about incentives or features. Admin permissions are not coin shop items, and increasing the gap between the ranks in a way that is not natural sounds like it would only make the situation worse.