Re-enable lava, tnt, and firework damage.

Please Note: The TotalFreedom Forum has now been put into a read-only mode. Total Freedom has now closed down and will not be returning in any way, shape or form. It has been a pleasure to lead this community and I wish you all the best for your futures.
  • Tnt: entity lag, pretty obvious why players aren't able to set off a chain reaction of explosives regardless of whether or not they damage blocks.
    Firework: client lags (there are fireworks that explode like 700 times and drop the frame rate of whoever gets spammed by a bunch of them - I've been hit by them before. Getting spammed by them is nasty and could crash people.)

Neutral. Maybe fireworks could be enabled and possibly flowing, but all of these features are used for nefarious purposes more often than they're used for actual purposes. For every person launching fireworks for fun there's another person crossbow spamming fireworks to fry someone's computer.

Same with tnt, from hours exploring RTPs I always come across a large block of TNT someone made but tried to ignite. Sure, you can't make TNT launchers here but if someone comes here to cause harm the first thing they search in their inventory is TNT. The other day someone asked for TNT to be enabled so they could set off a big chunk containing about 200 blocks. That's 200 explosions in a short amount of time. With a bit of effort someone can set off thousands of these. At the very least that's going to strain the server.

Also just realised I mistakenly talked about lava flow rather than lava damage. I vouch on lava damage. The rest I stand by.

Patrolling the Mojave almost makes you wish for a nuclear winter.

• Vouch for lava damage in survival (unless there's a technical reason it's disabled).

Object to TNT, explosions without actual damage are only good for harming the server.

Vouch for fireworks, we can't block every fun thing that can be used maliciously. If players abuse them, we'll punish them. Can't we set up plugins like VP to have a limit on number of fireworks?

TotalFreedom's Executive Community & Marketing Manager

• Lava damage can be enabled by admins using /toggle lavadmg. I can't give you any reason why would ever need to be disabled, though. This toggle was added in 2011, so it's very possible that it's just a relic we never got rid of.

I would like to see some testing done on whether TNT causes lag when it explodes without breaking blocks. If it does not cause lag, it should be enabled by our freedom philosophy, even if you cannot immediately think of use cases. The toggle for it is /toggle explosives.

The firework limitation is obviously because of particle lag. If there is a way to directly limit the amount of particles, that would be the best solution, but I don't know of any. Firework explosions can be enabled with /toggle firework.

@StevenNL2000#18736 The firework limitation is obviously because of particle lag

So if a player complains about client lag we could just toggle them off and warn/sanction who caused it

• @Tizz#18758 toggling them off wouldn't stop the particles as theres no way to kill/stop those as far as i know. as such we put a bunch of limitations on it so that way people don't make fireworks which last for like 10 solid minutes (which is entirely possible, and quite easy to do) and then use them to lag the server/client

@Tizz#18710 Vouch for lava damage in survival (unless there's a technical reason it's disabled).

Object to TNT, explosions without actual damage are only good for harming the server.

Vouch for fireworks, we can't block every fun thing that can be used maliciously. If players abuse them, we'll punish them. Can't we set up plugins like VP to have a limit on number of fireworks?

exactly what tizz said

Admin // Hub Moderator // Master Builder

Incredibly awesome duck.

• @StevenNL2000#18993 my bad, I thought explosions could still set off other explosions without damaging blocks.

Patrolling the Mojave almost makes you wish for a nuclear winter.

@DragonSlayer2189#18809 it would get rid of the firework, but not the particles

Well purging fireworks but not their effects makes it a fairly useless command.

• @StevenNL2000#18736 Hm, the tnt exploding without breaking blocks could be interesting, although I think the best thing is to find a way, if any, to stop tnt from setting other tnt off. With what I remember about how explosions in game work there could be a chance that even without breaking blocks it could be dangerous.

Edit: Tried a scuffed idea of the "TNT not breaking blocks" idea (flatlands of bedrock), and the server crashed with abt 11k blocks set (took 1 minute for a tick to be sent so it forced shut down) but obviously there's more at hand. I stand by the idea of having TNT not be able to set other TNT off (also make it so fireballs and flaming arrows cant since that would most likely be used as a work around). But thats so much limitation that its almost like it being disabled altogether and I'm not sure if actually doing any of these ideas are possible or they would be effective. I think more, less scuffed, tests would be a good idea.

• I see no real objections on here.

I've raised FS-381 to ensure lava damage is enabled by default.
    I've raised FS-382 to do an investigation into if TNT explosions without block damage is going to cause significant lag to server and clients.

Fireworks I think will probably for now need to stay disabled by default until we can think of a better way to allow them.

Wild1145

Network Owner at TotalFreedom

Managing Director at ATLAS Media Group Ltd.

Founder & Owner at MastodonApp.UK