Potential New Shop Items

Please Note: The TotalFreedom Forum has now been put into a read-only mode. Total Freedom has now closed down and will not be returning in any way, shape or form. It has been a pleasure to lead this community and I wish you all the best for your futures.
  •   videogamesm12 Because we have attempted to and been shut down at every opportunity. Miwo’s post here touched on every way our freedom is limited, and nothing came of it. Simply saying we should expand on freedom holds no value, suggesting methods of implementation is better but it has been done before and been denied.

The post was very well written with a viable solution to the majority of TF’s limitations - yet we are still in the exact same situation we are in when the post was written 7 months ago.

•   RedEastWood So what? While I am all for actively boosting player count, I can assure you that adding cheap gags and useless features and putting them behind a paywall will not attract players. We are a server built on the foundation of giving players as much freedom to do what they want as possible, the talking point that attracts players should be the amount of features you simply aren't allowed to use on other servers, not what kind of items are in the shop. No matter what features you add to the shop or the TotalFreedomMod, they will never fill the growing void of restricted or blocked features.

On a side note, the reason not much has changed is because nobody has stepped up and taken action on many of these issues. People talk about wanting things to change, but never actually set their foot down and work to have said change occur. People need to do that more.

image.png

videogamesm12 On a side note, the reason not much has changed is because nobody has stepped up and taken action on many of these issues. People talk about wanting things to change, but never actually set their foot down and work to have said change occur. People need to do that more.

There's also the issue that the thread mentioned was massive, and frankly difficult to have a sane discussion with so many things to look at so I think I had asked for folks to break it down into more suggestion threads that could actually be reviewed.

It's also worth everyone remembering we have hundreds now of tasks on the Dev team to look at, and actually very little capacity so far in terms of development team members that have capacity to do anything, so unfortunately we've had to just fix the most critical issues that we can with the limited people we have at the mo.

Wild1145

Network Owner at TotalFreedom

Managing Director at ATLAS Media Group Ltd.

Founder & Owner at MastodonApp.UK

•   videogamesm12 I don't understand your point.

videogamesm12 So what?

So we are doing all we can without being shut down. If we have propsed solutions and been denied, what do you expect us to do?

videogamesm12 On a side note, the reason not much has changed is because nobody has stepped up and taken action on many of these issues. People talk about wanting things to change, but never actually set their foot down and work to have said change occur. People need to do that more.

Not really, the reason not much has changed is because the dev team have 200 pending tasks, and Ryan is far from keen to add to that.

RedEastWood I don't understand your point.

The point is these cheap gags are not what attracts players to the server and are also pretty terrible for player retention. We should be focusing on unblocking existing features, not wasting development work by adding cheap gags. Once you have an item and use it a few times, it gets repetitive really fast. Once you have everything, there is little incentive to keep playing on the server.

RedEastWood Not really, the reason not much has changed is because the dev team have 200 pending tasks, and Ryan is far from keen to add to that.

The development team does not have to do all of the work. Anybody can make a PR.

image.png

•   Folfy_Blue That's because I can't share the Jira board due to limitations in the permissions.

I do however regularly post in the #public-updates channel on Discord tickets for the upcoming release, and encourage people to let the dev team know if they want to work on tickets

Wild1145

Folfy_Blue Nobody has access to the Jira though, even just as a read only mode..

I still don't understand why that's not available for all to see. The reason I was pointing the PR stuff out was for people to realize they can make a PR to show as a "proof of concept" for when they make a suggestion, though I realize now that I wasn't very clear on this.

image.png

•   videogamesm12 I'll take another look to see if there's a way around it, but we don't even quality for an open source license because of the way TFM is licensed.

Wild1145

videogamesm12 We should be focusing on unblocking existing features, not wasting development work by adding cheap gags

Then do it? You’re a developer, so why don’t you? Miwo made his thread 7 months ago. The issues are still the exact same. The same issues were around for much longer than 7 months too, Miwo just decided to call out the issues. The fact is by simply saying “we should unblock commands” you aren’t actually contributing much, especially since your stance has been discussed many times, and each time it ended with no real resolution.

I also do not think you understand the point of this suggestion. This suggestion is to get players to vote. It is not just a new feature. Players need an incentive to vote, and this is it. How on earth is unblocking commands even vaguely related to incentive to vote? Unless you’re looking to make unblocked commands purchasable by coins, then I see no real value in your response to my suggestion. The more votes we get, the more exposure we get. More perks and “cheap gags” will give us more votes. Unblocking commands will not give us more votes, so I don’t deem it fit to be discussed as a counter to my suggestion. Completely different scenarios and contexts.

RedEastWood Then do it? You’re a developer, so why don’t you?

I don't have FTP access. Many things can by unblocked by tweaking some configuration options. I don't have access to said configurations. As a developer, I also have plenty of things to do on my end as-is.

RedEastWood This suggestion is to get players to vote.

Not really. It's suggesting to add more items to the shop, implying that there isn't much to do. It has nothing to do with getting users to vote.

RedEastWood Players need an incentive to vote, and this is it.

They also need a reason to stick around. This is not it.

RedEastWood How on earth is unblocking commands even vaguely related to incentive to vote?

What's the point in voting for a server that blocks like 50% of commands or other miscellaneous features you want to use and sometimes are able to on other servers?

RedEastWood The more votes we get, the more exposure we get. More perks and “cheap gags” will give us more votes.

But at the end of the day, they are still cheap gags. Cheap gags that will get repetitive very quickly. You get more exposure, sure, but then you have the problem of player retention. Once you have the item you've been voting so many times to get becomes boring, there is little incentive to continue playing on the server. You could get a million votes per day and all the exposure you want, but if players have nothing to do then there is zero point in continuing to play on the server, which reflects on the low player count quite considerably.

image.png

videogamesm12 Not really. It's suggesting to add more items to the shop, implying that there isn't much to do. It has nothing to do with getting users to vote

Users vote to get coins. They use coins to pay for items in the shop. I’m not really getting your line of reasoning here, because you’re effectively proving my point for me. If new items are added to the shop, players will need to vote to be able to pay for the items and obtain them using coins. Voting gives you the greatest yield of coins in the shortest amount of time. Doing reactions does not give you nearly as many, and events are sparse.

videogamesm12 You could get a million votes per day and all the exposure you want, but if players have nothing to do then there is zero point in continuing to play on the server, which reflects on the low player count quite considerably.

This isn’t a never heard of problem. As I’ve mentioned countless times, it has been discussed and no solution has been offered

So I ask you this, what exactly is it that you want? Has what you want already been asked/discussed? I’m trying to understand but all you’re saying is “we need to unblock commands”, as if every player on this server doesn’t know that already.