Discord Ban Appeal - shdwo

Please Note: The TotalFreedom Forum has now been put into a read-only mode. Total Freedom has now closed down and will not be returning in any way, shape or form. It has been a pleasure to lead this community and I wish you all the best for your futures.
  • vouch, I took a look at the discord messages from you around this time, and i can see that, while it was very poor taste, you were trying to make a joke. just don't do it again, these kinds of jokes aren't funny to most people, go to esotalk if you want that

• @'Ryan' Uh I thought he was banned for the convo that followed after.
    Link for easy read

I'd note that he said after "let me make it apparent that I'm joking before some incel reports me" which in my eyes can amount to a muteable offence as per rule 3b

I'll think about what to vote.

TotalFreedom's Executive Community & Marketing Manager

•   Tizz That just happened to be the first example that was reported to me... The behaviour in general was unacceptable.

Wild1145

Network Owner at TotalFreedom

Managing Director at ATLAS Media Group Ltd.

Founder & Owner at MastodonApp.UK

•   Luke I'm not saying that it's reasonable justification in any case.

@"Luke"#19 when smartnt got ousted for this exact thing

Again, comparing this case to smartnt's is very unfair. smartnt consisted of rogue admins/ops who couldn't care less for people on the server. I've already stated that there was no ill-intent upon saying this, the joke was in context (I admit, taking it out of context makes it look incredibly bad - but the fact that the context is there, and the joke was made in context makes it completely different.)

This isn't a case of "oh haha guys, it was a joke my bad!" - This is a case of "i said this thing in context, as a joke, with no ill-intent, and then told everyone it was a joke less than a minute after"

• E.g. I didn't say "I hate blacks" out of nowhere and then go "that was a joke"
      This was in response to someone (also) jokingly calling me a white supremacist.

It went more like "haha you're a white supremacist" - "haha yes! I hate blacks" in an obvious joking tone. "let me make it apparent that that was a joke" to clarify afterwards.

Let me also make it apparent that I'm not bashing on anyone in this thread, and I do take responsibility for my actions to a certain degree. I admit that the joke was in poor taste and looks very bad out of context, should I have made it? no. However, the original purpose of the joke was lost by people twisting my words to make it look worse than it actually is. The fact that i've clarified on multiple occasions that there was no ill-intent in my original joke, and there was no actual meaning behind it - and for those of you that know me well, you know that i'm not racist or derogatory towards any kind of religion/race etc. makes it blindly obvious that this was nothing more than a very bad joke.

Shdwo I'm not saying that it's reasonable justification in any case.

Shdwo makes it blindly obvious that this was nothing more than a very bad joke.

.......?

But either way, no it isn't unfair to compare you to smartnt. They made comments and jokes such as this and handwaved it away as a joke. That is exactly what happened then and that is exactly what you're aiming to do now. If not then why are you appealing so soon? If you truly thought you shouldn't have done it then you wouldn't immediately try and reverse then ban that was put upon you?

52-CEF3-CF-C4-FF-4798-8469-4-BDCA5-D35247.jpg

•   Luke The joke made was nothing like the kinda jokes smartnt made. I've already explained that.

• E.g. I didn't say "I hate blacks" out of nowhere and then go "that was a joke"
      This was in response to someone (also) jokingly calling me a white supremacist.

It went more like "haha you're a white supremacist" - "haha yes! I hate blacks" in an obvious joking tone. "let me make it apparent that that was a joke" to clarify afterwards.

Another example could be "you're an anti-kanst kinda guy" - "yes! I hate kanst". I didn't just blatantly blurt out the statement with absolutely no context whatsoever

If you truly thought you shouldn't have done it then you wouldn't immediately try and reverse then ban that was put upon you?

I shouldn't have made the joke at the time as some people would take it the wrong way (which is exactly what's happening now) but I shouldn't have been banned for it, there was no actual meaning behind it.. and it was explained as a joke before and very shortly after.. especially since I wasn't approached before the ban to explain my case. I can count many occasions as to where people have said some racist shit out of context and they're still admin to this day. Talk about a bias

• There has been absolutely nothing posted here to suggest that this player's remarks were serious, and the way that this thread has played out is laughable. It really exposes why ban appeals on this server are a waste of time when they will no longer be read into and, in defense of Wild's disregard for them, much of what is said in these threads is not worth reading. Ashaz's post is perhaps the dumbest one in this thread (there is no way to defend executing a punishment if it had taken "a month for [Ivan] to be banned" because his behavior went unnoticed... that is a fault on behalf of those that are tasked with moderating that platform, not Ivan himself, and such a delayed punishment is indefensible). How can the line be drawn at the "execution" of a joke unless there is to be some consensus on what is or isn't properly executed, comedically speaking, on this server? As for their "defensive attitude," it is only correct for them to act defensively on a thread outlining the reasons why their punishment should be reversed.

•   fssp The ban appeal absolutely is being considered, but I've yet to see any evidence to suggest that the rule was not in fact broken:

Section 2: Bannable offences
    d: Discriminating against, harassing or insulting a person based on their race/sexual preference/gender/age.

That's what he was banned for, nobody's showed me any evidence to say that isn't what happened here... And "It's just a joke" doesn't really fly, the rules are the rules...

Wild1145

Network Owner at TotalFreedom

Managing Director at ATLAS Media Group Ltd.

Founder & Owner at MastodonApp.UK

• @'Ryan' If you have yet to see anything to suggest that this was not broken then you have not read the transcripts posted in this chat... I skimmed through this thread to write my reply rather quickly, coming to the conclusion that the punishment was unjustified after seeing a screenshot of shdwo himself saying "let me be apparent that I'm joking" which makes rather clear that he is not "discriminating against, harassing, or insulting a person based on their race, sexual preference, gender, or age" because he has made it apparent that he was joking.

The image that I saw

If what he said was a joke, and he stated in chat that it was a joke (proving that he is not pulling that card as an excuse in this thread for the purpose of evading his punishment) then the reason you provided in your initial punishment does not hold up. Who exactly would he be harassing based on their race, sexual preference, gender, or age?