An open discussion on what it is like to be staff on TF nowadays

Please Note: The TotalFreedom Forum has now been put into a read-only mode. Total Freedom has now closed down and will not be returning in any way, shape or form. It has been a pleasure to lead this community and I wish you all the best for your futures.
  • Perhaps pay your fucking devs?

For not doing what it's asked to do and resigning when there are complaints they're not following the plan? We're stuck on 1.17, have to stop developing TFM and get rid of all-OP model because of them. Kudos to the remaining 2 (iirc) but we're basically stuck on all levels despite a clear plan of action and priorities.

TotalFreedom's Executive Community & Marketing Manager

For not doing what it's asked to do and resigning when there are complaints they're not following the plan? We're stuck on 1.17, have to stop developing TFM and get rid of all-OP model because of them. Kudos to the remaining 2 (iirc) but we're basically stuck on all levels despite a clear plan of action and priorities.

This wouldn't be a problem if this server contracted a single professional instead of various unpaid volunteer amateurs over 10 years.
    The problems you've mentioned "have to get rid of all op model" and "stop developing tfm" are actually all good ideas, it's a good thing to remove antiquated bottlenecks on development.

With all due respect, Tizz, expecting a volunteer team to complete the ~153 issues on Jira relating mostly to the poor design choices of TFM is absolutely unrealistic. And we're not "stuck on 1.17" and "getting rid of the all-OP model" "because of them".

I don't know why exactly you think that we're the reason the server is stuck on 1.17.1. I've had PRs open to update TFM to 1.19(.x) since June of last year. My first one was to update TFM to 1.19. My second was to update it to 1.19.3 (and later 1.19.4). The only reason the server is not on 1.19/1.20 is because this pull request is merged, and there's a few plugins that are probably still running with versions from 2021.

The only thing keeping the server from being on the latest version of Minecraft, bar wiping the world, is for the plugins to be updated, and for the Scissors jar to be replaced with the latest version of Minecraft. That's it. The 1.19.4 PR will run perfectly fine on Minecraft versions above 1.19. The only thing that changed anywhere near TFM was the Scissors API package. That's the only code-related change my PRs make.

As developers, it's pretty hard to keep TF on the latest version of Minecraft given that we are unable to actually fucking update the plugins we develop/use on the server.

The reason All-OP, True OP, or whatever you want to call it is being dropped is because it is fundamentally insecure. We have to block commands (which absolutely is not a good permission management solution) and maintain forks of plugins just for them to not give every permission away to OPs. Permission nodes are the future of TF, and have been for the past 7 years.

It's the same thing with TFM. I guess the developers over the years complained enough about the state of TFM for it to finally to be dropped.

This wouldn't be a problem if this server contracted a single professional instead of various unpaid volunteer amateurs over 10 years.

I totally agree. Maybe if the people who wrote the base of what TFM is today somewhat knew how to write code that didn't crash when the direction of the wind in Bosnia changed, we wouldn't be in this position.

• Official Post

Let me once again be clear. Running the server as is is expensive. Unless I make this server pay to play there is a zero chance of being able to hire developers.

Likewise we are currently stuck on 1.17 because we haven't got a set of working plugins for any later version, a PR is not a complete release and it's now going to take up the limited time I have this weekend trying to sort it myself.

And finally the jira never required it to be added to tfm when its new features, they could have been added to frankly whatever plugin as desired as long as it did what we needed.

Removing tfm has been on the plans for a while, but it was originally intended to break it out sensibly into smaller chunks.

I'll add that a old player that doesn't even fucking play on this server and is entirely inactive within the community chiming in on these sorts of threads is the entire reason major change never happens. It's not appreciated.

Wild1145

Network Owner at TotalFreedom

Managing Director at ATLAS Media Group Ltd.

Founder & Owner at MastodonApp.UK

• Server is pretty shit. I have given over a thousand suggestions over the years, where imo it largely boils down to how the server is boring and borderline abusive to play on as a op, and incentives being an admin and nothing else. But nothing will ever change, because lazy executives and teen and child admins in this server prefer to spend hours every day languishing in a stagnating server where they get to power trip.

The executive (owner and execs) has always been the problem on this server, and it's still the problem with a corporate power structure. I find it shocking that the server is stagnating, when the benefit of a corporation should be an actual budget outside of the bare minimum server maintenance. Perhaps pay your fucking devs?

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahhahahahahhahahahahahahhaha

love when old players chime in when they aren't even active and have no idea what is going on in the server

• Server is pretty shit. I have given over a thousand suggestions over the years, where imo it largely boils down to how the server is boring and borderline abusive to play on as a op, and incentives being an admin and nothing else. But nothing will ever change, because lazy executives and teen and child admins in this server prefer to spend hours every day languishing in a stagnating server where they get to power trip.

The executive (owner and execs) has always been the problem on this server, and it's still the problem with a corporate power structure. I find it shocking that the server is stagnating, when the benefit of a corporation should be an actual budget outside of the bare minimum server maintenance. Perhaps pay your fucking devs?

love when old players chime in when they aren't even active and have no idea what is going on in the server

I find it even funnier when those banned from freedom-01 chime in, as well.

You never had a clue what was going on the entire time i was on the server. You were a clueless clown then and always.

Fuck off.

• hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahhahahahahhahahahahahahhaha

You never had a clue what was going on the entire time i was on the server. You were a clueless clown then and always.

Fuck off.

get into a voice chat, have a bit of craic buddy.

ONT: I respect most of all the current staff and management do for the server behind the scenes and in front of the scenes. If people are giving you shit ignore em, most of them r degenerates. Respect.

It's ignorant and rude comments like this that wants to not make me contribute to this server at all. The problem with the development team lies in people like you who complain and treat VOLUNTEERS like slaves. The amount of time I've spent on Scissors and getting good infrastructure for it, most of it on my own dime as well, just shows you don't even know the full picture. TF wouldn't even be half as stable if it weren't for Scissors and fixing all these exploits. And it's still actively being developed and I've been continually updating and porting patches to the latest Minecraft version as well.

• I would like to counter that by saying that video allink and I are all currently actively contributing to our new project.

On paper, it's a great plan if you guys can manage to get it done, but I'll believe it when I see it. I have respect for what the devs here are doing but I still don't think anyone is going to make it over the million zillion hurdles you need to get a custom plugin that is solid enough to serve a tech-savvy community with picky and stubborn upper management. TF has been waiting on a new custom plugin for years and the fact that it still hasn't been implemented makes me believe it just isn't a viable plan.

Edited once, last by Panther (June 17, 2023 at 10:19 PM).

• I would like to counter that by saying that video allink and I are all currently actively contributing to our new project.

On paper, it's a great plan if you guys can manage to get it done, but I'll believe it when I see it. I have respect for what the devs here are doing but I still don't think anyone is going to make it over the million zillion hurdles you need to get a custom plugin that is solid enough to serve a tech-savvy community with picky and stubborn upper management. TF has been waiting on a new custom plugin for years and the fact that it still hasn't been implemented makes me believe it just isn't a viable plan.

While I agree that we've been waiting for years, I've only just been able to start working on said project. Previously all my time was spent fixing and improving TFM. It was only until recently (maybe a month or so) that I was able to begin work on FNS. You can check out the repository on https://github.com/AtlasMediaGroup/Freedom-Network-Suite to see our current progress.
    At this time the project is over 50% complete; if I was able to start work on this sooner, I would have.

• if I was able to start work on this sooner, I would have.

I feel like a common assumption of management and such is that we do certain things/dont do certain things out of laziness, power trips, etc.

and i can understand it, i’m not gonna pretend communication is the greatest on TF and people often see things as a sign of laziness or a sign of shitty management

one thing i would like to make abundantly clear to the community, which i’ve said privately too, is that every decision is made for a reason. for example i’ve recently had to ban ‘kys’ from discord and that’s not cuz i woke up one morning and decided ‘you know what fuck tf i wanna revoke their ability to talk’ it was cuz i got several complaints from people about use of that word and it got out of hand

the reason i quoted paldiu is cuz this is a good example. people may think the devs are lazy, or theyre not being given enough recognition and thats why things aren’t being done but more people need to understand how complex this server can be and the many processes we have to do in order to just push basic changes

52-CEF3-CF-C4-FF-4798-8469-4-BDCA5-D35247.jpg