Implement an anarchy server

Please Note: The TotalFreedom Forum has now been put into a read-only mode. Total Freedom has now closed down and will not be returning in any way, shape or form. It has been a pleasure to lead this community and I wish you all the best for your futures.
  • That's what's historically happened throughout the time you've been here. There was definitely a time on TotalFreedom when the more vicious exploiters were feeling less nice and would wreck the server repeatedly, so much that it sometimes led to all-day downtime. I am not saying that the anarchy needs to be creative anarchy. (like Kaboom.) The lack of creative mode would throw a serious bone in people's ability to find exploits, and a lot of the things that have been found working in survival have been covered in Paper at some point. The result would likely be something with more chaos, but retain the same stability standard. The no access to logs thing is a problem, but that's a separate issue that honestly should just be resolved under the common sense reasoning that devs should have log access if they are expected to do a reasonable amount of work. That shouldn't be an optional thing and I think everyone here but one person would agree with you there.

I can't speak for what's happened in the past and as such I won't try to comment on it.

Creative mode certainly amplifies the ability to discover exploits, but that doesn't mean finding Survival mode exploits (and lag methods) aren't uncommon. Yes, they're patched by Paper, but in the waiting period for the maintainers to patch (or not) the exploit, we're left entirely undefended unless we use Scissors to implement a patch. An anarchy server is inevitably going to have a large percentage of players who spend all of their time on Minecraft trying to find exploits. And not they're not the relatively nice ones we have now.

I agree! We should implement anarchy unless we want to alienate most of our current and past community. Over time, they've come here for "freedom," and that's what we should be trying to give them.

I've updated the post to correct my wording.

Most of the arguments against anarchy here are like people being scared that the trolls from the anarchy community will leak over to the main server.

TotalFreedom always had this reputation (and still does) for getting hit by trolls all the time. You trying to salvage TotalFreedom's reputation is like trying to make water not wet.

Yeah well I certainly don't want more than we already have. This is like having multiple leaky pipes already in your house and refusing to fix a pipe that recently started leaking because "some pipes are already leaking, so why should I patch the new one???". Of course, it would be better to patch all the pipes rather than just the new one but doing something is better than doing nothing.

• Yeah well I certainly don't want more than we already have

Well sorry, but if we want to grow as a server, this is going to be something you have to accept. Of course that more players = more explots, that's pretty much a given.

This is like having multiple leaky pipes already in your house and refusing to fix a pipe that recently started leaking because "some pipes are already leaking, so why should I patch the new one???"

This analogy sucks because TotalFreedom isn't just going to refuse to fix an exploit. Things in TotalFreedom get patched all the time.

Of course, it would be better to patch all the pipes rather than just the new one but doing something is better than doing nothing.

And this is already what TotalFreedom is doing

• Well sorry, but if we want to grow as a server, this is going to be something you have to accept. Of course that more players = more explots, that's pretty much a given.

More players from a community that idolizes exploits will obviously result in more exploits, whereas more players from a community that doesn't will result in less exploits (yes, with some exploits, but considerably lesser compared to an Anarchy community).

This analogy sucks because TotalFreedom isn't just going to refuse to fix an exploit. Things in TotalFreedom get patched all the time.

And this is already what TotalFreedom is doing

You've missed the point here. I was referring to the trolls, and not the exploits. Of course we're not going to skimp out on patching an exploit, but choosing actions that may or may not result in a playerbase growth at the cost of much, much more trolls/exploiters isn't something I'd like to do.

• I'm still open on the possibility of an anarchy SMP trial if there's substantial support from the community.

I will only support if we're talking about a TRUE-anarchy SMP with absolutely no rules or moderation, not some fake-pseudo-anarchy with rules.

Which will simply never happen.

• I will only support if we're talking about a TRUE-anarchy SMP with absolutely no rules or moderation, not some fake-pseudo-anarchy with rules.

Which will simply never happen.

Can you at least consider a temporary true-anarchy SMP for at least 14 days or so? Doesn't have to be Bungee'd or connected to Atlas Media/TotalFreedom in any way.

• Doesn't have to be Bungee'd or connected to Atlas Media/TotalFreedom in any way.

then what’s the point? why should we fund and allocate resource to a project that benefits us in no way?

The reason why Ryan Wild won't impliment an anarchy server is because he fears that it would ruin the reputation of his company and TotalFreedom. Trying to suggest an alternative that where either doesn't happen.

• Trying to suggest an alternative that where either doesn't happen.

Then it's simpler. It just needs a manager, who doesn't have to be Ryan or his affiliates, and a host provider.

There are too many issues for letting TF have an unmoderated server, including but not limited to:

• giving some communities and collectives of people who don't like us a field day "raiding" and turning it into the new Eso's or "Akefu"'s space, defeating whatever purpose you're trying to accomplish
    • gifting opportunities to some individuals who are trying (too) hard to kill TF by legal ways

TotalFreedom's Executive Community & Marketing Manager

• Which will simply never happen.

Can you at least consider a temporary true-anarchy SMP for at least 14 days or so? Doesn't have to be Bungee'd or connected to Atlas Media/TotalFreedom in any way.

No. Read my previous posts because I've already explained that the community guidelines are non-negotiable.

The reason why Ryan Wild won't impliment an anarchy server is because he fears that it would ruin the reputation of his company and TotalFreedom. Trying to suggest an alternative that where either doesn't happen.

Again, please read my previous posts on this thread because that is not a true or accurate statement.

• I’d honestly love to see an anarchy server implemented. The gamemode is fun and I believe it fits the name of the server. There are some minor restrictions that could definitely be implemented, taking away the complete “anarchy” aspect, but I don’t see that as a big deal. 2b2t will ban your username from priority queue if you are caught attempting to lag the server. Of course we probably won’t have a queue to join the server, but that’s just an example of how the most popular anarchy server still employs restrictions. Other than maybe some basic chat restrictions (such as blocking derogatory terms or spamming) and rules against using exploits or lag machines that could harm the server, I don’t see any other necessary restrictions.

The last attempt at an anarchy server was relatively successful, apart from the getting banned when dying aspect. I suggested bringing back anarchy but simply not making it hardcore and Wild was very much against the idea.

Ultimately though, it is going to be up to developers (and Wild of course) and if they’re willing to be on a constant cat and mouse chase for bugs and exploits. With the lack of access that developers have to the server and the already backed up development process, this is probably near impossible to do at the moment.

• Ultimately though, it is going to be up to developers (and Wild of course) and if they’re willing to be on a constant cat and mouse chase for bugs and exploits.

This is what we're already doing on Freedom-01

Exactly. They are already struggling to keep up with Freedom-01. Adding an anarchy server would prolong the already backlogged development. Anarchy is going to come with tons more of bugs/exploits constantly that will probably not be fixed quickly and depending on the bug/exploit, it could be detrimental.