shorter chat spam bans

Please Note: The TotalFreedom Forum has now been put into a read-only mode. Total Freedom has now closed down and will not be returning in any way, shape or form. It has been a pleasure to lead this community and I wish you all the best for your futures.
  • 5 minutes is too long, server lags often nowadays so they are way more common right now. i suggest we make them 1 minute because 5 minutes is just too long. Nuker just kicks you for all i know, and chat spam is way less bad so i dont know why its a bigger punishment. Makes no sense.

• thinking we get a gradually elevating mute that turns into tempban then 24-hr day ban
    each offense accounts for a day of constant rapid spamming

For example:
    Offense 1 - 1 minute mute
    Offense 2 - 2 minute mute
    Offense 3 - 5 minute mute
    Offense 4 - 10 minute mute
    Offense 5 - 1 hr mute
    Offense 6 - 24 hr mute
    Offense 7 - 10 hr ban
    Offense 8 - 24 hr ban

• It depends on what you believe is chat spam, lets say for example; Saying the same thing 6 times, usually I hand out warnings asking not to do it again, in the case they continue - I start to punish with mutes that don't last very long (Usually TFM unmutes them later on

• Currentlly, the automated bans go like this:
    Kick 1 - 5 minutes
    Kick 2 - 10 minutes
    Kick 3+ - 24 hours ("$name has been banned.", which isn't exactly clear as to the duration)
    ...with the kick counter only resetting, as far as I'm aware, when the server restarts.

On its current hardware, the server regularly lags badly enough that players can plausibly type 9 messages within 20 ticks, which triggers the autokick, with no intent to spam, and "regularly" here means it's also plausible that it could happen 3 times in 20 minutes. The fact that it issues 24-hour bans for this, well ... isn't great, and definitely means it should—at the very least—be disabled when there's more than one admin currently online.

(reminder to myself to avoid taking 30 minutes polishing unimportant details again)

• I've approved a version of this.

The approved version is:

When someone is spamming chat, the server should now mute them for 2mins rather than kick them.

I'd also like it if possible to double the time muted every time it happens within the server rebooting.

FS-97 raised with that as the description.

Wild1145

Network Owner at TotalFreedom

Managing Director at ATLAS Media Group Ltd.

Founder & Owner at MastodonApp.UK