Consider the Paper.yml redstone optimization setting

• Freedom-01 has been attacked several times by lag machines which have been used to drop the TPS quite considerably. Paper, I found out, has a setting that optimizes redstone to reduce server lag. The setting, use-faster-eigencraft-redstone when set to true, changes redstone behaviour to reduce lag while maintaining its functionality. I feel it would be worth a shot to implement given its only changes a single thing in Paper.yml and as such, requires 0 developer effort to try and see if it makes a difference in dealing with the effects of lag machines. The recent spike in lag machines is primarily the variety pictured below which is very easy to construct and use with the capability of crashing the server with ease.

I've also tested the setting on my own server with a similar lag machine setup and noticed no server-crippling drops in TPS. In fact, the lowest the TPS dropped was in the 19s range. No matter how many times I spam-clicked the lever, the TPS would not drop with optimizations on.

My test results:

! Lag Machine I tested with: (NOT ON TF)

Setting On:

Setting Off:

I crashed my server with the device pictured and had the setting disabled.

javaw_VqNRNZdU6Q.png
    image.png
    image.png

• Vouch.

I did a tiny bit of digging, and found a well written comment that explained the optimisations in great detail. In short, it completely rewrites redstone mechanics to be more efficient, but behave almost identical to vanilla mechanics.

Alco_Rs11 I’ve also tested the setting on my own server with a similar lag machine setup and noticed no server-crippling drops in TPS. In fact, the lowest the TPS dropped was in the 19s range. No matter how many times I spam-clicked the lever, the TPS would not drop with optimizations on.

I would like to ask about this, did you have a fastplace hack enabled? This hack client option is the thing that makes this so devastating, because the lever is being clicked much faster than Mojang ever accounted for it being clicked.

Patrolling the Mojave almost makes you wish for a nuclear winter.

• As someone who had the server files once, This is already enabled, unless we have changed the paper.yml recently, it’s on

If these configs have been reset sometime in the last year, I have config files which I have made which are optimized the best they can possibly for the server, specifically paper.yml, spigot.yml, and bukkit.yml

•   Allink Actually it probably just simply got corrupted over time... I'm pretty sure paper.yml and a couple of others got reset quite some time ago but StevenNL2000 would be the one to say for sure.

Wild1145

Network Owner at TotalFreedom

Managing Director at ATLAS Media Group Ltd.

Founder & Owner at MastodonApp.UK

• I've compared the files provided by Dragon with what we have on the server right now and the changes are not that big (current -> suggested). This also means that if these configs were indeed reset, we most likely didn't lose a lot of customization:

bukkit.yml:
    spawn-limits.water-animals from 5 to 15

spigot.yml:
    settings.attribute.movementSpeed.max from 2048.0 to 256
    settings.bungeecord from true to false
    world-settings.default.verbose from false to true

paper.yml:
    world-settings.default.keep-spawn-loaded-range from 10 to 7
    world-settings.default.per-player-mob-spawns from true to false

I haven't applied the changes mentioned above, but the suggestion to enable use-faster-eigencraft-redstone is now formally approved.