We lost a LOT of maps

Please Note: The TotalFreedom Forum has now been put into a read-only mode. Total Freedom has now closed down and will not be returning in any way, shape or form. It has been a pleasure to lead this community and I wish you all the best for your futures.
  • Date and Time (please include the timezone):
    Found out on 2021-12-14 20:46 UTC

Describe the bug or exploit:
    Many maps now show up as empty, as if they point to an invalid map ID

Plugin(s) impacted:
    Pretty sure this isn't managed by plugins

Expected behaviour (if known):
    Well, you know... still having all the maps?

Step to reproduce:
    Take out and check all your maps or the ones in any location, you'll see empty ones

Server where the bug occurred:
    Freedom-01

Can the bug or exploit be reproduced on another server within the network?
    Who knows

TotalFreedom's Executive Community & Marketing Manager

• This is a likely side-effect of the world wipe and not deliberate. Quoting Steven from here, he says that

I did not intentionally wipe the playerdata, nor did I expect it to be. However, I can see that the playerdata directory that previously had thousands of files in it has been emptied. I suspect that the server realized that we essentially went into the past by a few days by restoring the original world and decided to throw all playerdata out.

This is most likely an unintentional side-effect of the world clean up so if a backup was made of the entire world folder with not just the region files, it can most likely be restored from the point the backup was made since the maps are also stored in the worlds folder along with playerdata in a different folder there.

javaw_VqNRNZdU6Q.png
    image.png
    image.png

• There is a full backup of the worlds, so as Alco points out, we can easily put the maps back. The question is whether the server will take them, because I am confident that the files concerned were never modified or deleted in the first place, so it was the server itself who decided that they were no longer valid.

•   StevenNL2000 If so, why not all the maps have been lost? For example, I mapped a big city in the flatlands and like 4/20 still show up.

I believe it's a good idea to try to put them back, we either fix both playerdata and maps or, by reproducing the issue, we might be able to troubleshoot it.

TotalFreedom's Executive Community & Marketing Manager