1.18 Support Added, 1.16.5 & 1.17 Support Removed

Please Note: The TotalFreedom Forum has now been put into a read-only mode. Total Freedom has now closed down and will not be returning in any way, shape or form. It has been a pleasure to lead this community and I wish you all the best for your futures.
  • As of the hub maintenance today, we have moved Hub-03 to 1.17.1, as a result we have now removed 1.16.5 and 1.17 support across the network.

The Freedom game-mode due to various delays is still not actually running 1.17, however ViaVersion has been configured to block anything that is not 1.17.1 or 1.18 from connecting to the Freedom game-mode. This is because now if players join on 1.16.5 they will get kicked from the network rather than bounced to the hub if there are issues in the game-mode.

As part of this we've done a minor update to the Bungee software to add 1.18 support, and ViaVersion is setup on the Hub and Freedom game-modes to support 1.18.

We will be continuing to work towards full native 1.17.1 and 1.18 support in due course.

Cheers.

TLDR:

The following Minecraft versions are able to connect globally across the TF Network:

Support was removed for the following versions:

• 1.17 (.0)

Wild1145

Network Owner at TotalFreedom

Managing Director at ATLAS Media Group Ltd.

Founder & Owner at MastodonApp.UK

• Why disable 1.17.x and 1.16.x support when freedom-01 runs one of the aforementioned versions? It makes no sense to disable it and could potentially harm our playerbase as some users may not have computers that are new enough to run 1.17 or 1.18. Not to mention, this blocks off a huge amount of the item community because 1.17 got rid of stupidly high enchantments and HD heads.

image.png

•   videogamesm12 I've not disabled 1.17.x, I've disabled 1.17... The versions 1.17.1 and 1.18 are globally accepted on the network.

We've had to remove 1.16.5 and 1.17 support because the hub is now on 1.17, and it had to be updated due to the new hub world containing 1.17 blocks, and the fact that it was due to be updated months ago, as a result now if you are on a 1.16.x or 1.17(.0) client on Freedom-01, if the server goes down or you're kicked, you get ejected from the network and it is a shitter player experience.

1.17.1 is the global minimum version for the entire network now, I can't keep putting it off in the hopes we might finally get the Freedom game-mode updated and I won't sacrifice the end-user experience by ejecting people from the network which isn't the pre-update behaviour.

Added a TLDR to make this more clear.

Wild1145

• @'Ryan' Updating the server's version has basically nothing to do with which clients are supported. We will ultimately be more successful with continued support of older versions (however not to any ridiculous extent.) Since the hub was updated to 1.17.1, that means that the blocks and features in 1.17.1 are supported. It doesn't mean that a plugin like ViaVersion couldn't be used to support 1.18 in addition to 1.17.1 and below. If ViaVersion was used on the hub, nobody would need to be kicked due to client incompatibility.

•   Panther ViaVersion is used on the hub, it's what's allowing 1.18 support.

As I've said on Discord, we won't be supporting the older versions.

Wild1145

• @'Ryan' But why? If we already have the capability to do so with ViaVersion, we don't need anything extra... ViaVersion is already installed on both, so it's just a matter of enabling it. According to this chart, everything from 1.10 - 1.18.x should work with no issues.

•   Panther I don't think that's quite right... ViaVersion allows you to support newer versions. Hub is on 1.17.1 and can then support 1.17.1 (Native) and 1.18 (Via)

I've already tried connecting to the hub on 1.16.5 with ViaVersion running (And default config) and I get kicked for running an older client and that I need to upgrade.

I think the chart is just poor.

In any case, the minimum version to use the network is 1.17.1, and I don't plan on changing that. If game-modes aren't updated, stringing along backwards compatibility is not the answer.

Wild1145

• @'Ryan' Turns out the chart was wrong. However: It would be possible to use ProtocolSupport additionally in conjunction with ViaVersion to get the older versions to work (this is what I do on my server.) It should be fine for the hub.