Please Note: The TotalFreedom Forum has now been put into a read-only mode. Total Freedom has now closed down and will not be returning in any way, shape or form. It has been a pleasure to lead this community and I wish you all the best for your futures.
  • NFTs are quite frankly one of the most retarded trends in recent history. What's the fucking point of them? Literally all value is lost when the power goes out or an EMP hits you. Who gives a shit if you "own" a PNG file? It's literally fucking pixels on a screen. You know what stays valuable when you get hit by an EMP? The dollar bills in your wallet, not some PNG file you found online.

image.png

•   videogamesm12 oh and to add onto this, NFTs aren't legal ownership. You could buy an NFT of the bee movie script, but you don't own the bee movie script. You don't actually own it.

In all honesty to me, I'm less bothered by digital ownership and more bothered by the fact that most NFTs are just the same image of a monkey or the same pixelart dude except one thing is slightly changed. If it was used for genuine digital art maybe.

Patrolling the Mojave almost makes you wish for a nuclear winter.

•   videogamesm12 They are worth something for the same reason lots of art is worth something:
    It's just another way to store value.

Take the whole banana taped to a wall thing that was popular recently. There's nothing special about it, it's not even an actual piece of art. However, somehow it sells for $120,000. It's not because it's some beautiful art piece like the Mona Lisa, but because some rich person can sink 120k into it to store money. It's just a bank account you can hang on your wall. All it does is store money away from a bank (probably some legal loopholes in there), and then your friends at art galleries can pump up it's value even more for you to resell it and make a profit, and do it all over again.

NFTs do just the same thing, but it's all online. And all value isn't lost when power goes out, because it's not stored on your device. It's stored online so it's impossible for it to disappear as long as the internet is running somewhere.

I'm not some crazy NFT addict who invests his grandma's retirement funds into crypto or anything, but I just view NFTs as a better modern art. A banana on a wall can be destroyed, but something online cannot. They both operate on the same principle, and they are both equally stupid in that it's either a monkey cartoon profile picture or a banana on a wall. I think that both should disappear and rich people should store their money in something actually valuable, namely my bank account.

2021-09-26_17.01.50.png

enchy they are both equally stupid in that it’s either a monkey cartoon profile picture or a banana on a wall

To be fair here, the banana on the wall made headlines. It was crazy and it was such an outlandish criticism of modern art that it broke the news. Not every piece of art is like that (and one could argue the artistic value of the banana on the wall was how well it criticised modern art), you've still got valuable paintings that are worth lots because they were crafted and had dozens of hours put into them by a skilled artist. The most valuable paintings are usually those - artists are famous because they were good. Famous artists produced paintings we see as more valuable today.

The most valuable NFTs are either the monkey profile pictures or pixelart profile pictures that look like a toddler did them. Theres no actual artistic value to them, unlike the valuable paintings people so often compare them to.

enchy They are worth something for the same reason lots of art is worth something:
    It’s just another way to store value.

No they're not. Money is actually worth nothing. We all agree that money has value and use it. We could all unanimously agree that money is bad and simply get rid of it and there's nothing the government could really do (if everyone followed through). NFTs have no value in the same way money has no value. Thing is, people aren't stupid and realize NFTs shouldn't have any value because of how stupidly easy it is to save one. If everyone could copy and paste money, then its value would go down also.

Telesphoreo No they’re not. Money is actually worth nothing. We all agree that money has value and use it.

Money only has value because people ascribe value to it so it can be used in an economy. If people ascribe value to NFTs the same way they do to money, then NFTs are "valuable" in our economy in the same way money is.

Telesphoreo Thing is, people aren’t stupid and realize NFTs shouldn’t have any value because of how stupidly easy it is to save one.

https://www.theverge.com/2021/3/11/2232…days-69-million
    https://news.artnet.com/market/updated…ve-nfts-1980942
    People actually have been putting value on NFTs, so I don't know where you get your claim that people realize NFTs shouldn't have value from.

Telesphoreo how stupidly easy it is to save one. If everyone could copy and paste money, then its value would go down also.

Right clicking and clicking "Save as" doesn't do anything. Just because you go to an art museum and take a picture of a painting doesn't mean you now own that painting. It's impossible to steal an NFT by just screenshotting it because the actual ownership of it is stored on blockchain.

2021-09-26_17.01.50.png

enchy Money only has value because people ascribe value to it so it can be used in an economy. If people ascribe value to NFTs the same way they do to money, then NFTs are “valuable” in our economy in the same way money is.

You're just reiterating what I said. NFT's won't be as accepted as having value because of what I said in my initial post.

enchy People actually have been putting value on NFTs, so I don’t know where you get your claim that people realize NFTs shouldn’t have value from.

But not everyone does. Again, in my initial post, everyone has to agree it has value for it to have value.

enchy Right clicking and clicking “Save as” doesn’t do anything. Just because you go to an art museum and take a picture of a painting doesn’t mean you now own that painting. It’s impossible to steal an NFT by just screenshotting it because the actual ownership of it is stored on blockchain.

Correct, but it does devalue it. If hundreds of millions of people have a picture of the Mona Lisa, does it actually make it worth it to see it in person? If I take a picture of every artwork in a museum, is it now worth my money to pay a ticket to see the artwork in the museum? No, it's not. By assigning values to the pictures themselves, the value is pretty much worthless since anyone can see it regardless of who "owns it". I can't just copy and paste money or add a million dollars to my bank account. If everyone could do that, money itself would also lose its perceived value. Keep in mind, money has value because we all agree it does and because you can't just sit at home and login to your bank account and add a million dollars to your bank account

enchy Right clicking and clicking “Save as” doesn’t do anything. Just because you go to an art museum and take a picture of a painting doesn’t mean you now own that painting.

We're comparing taking a picture of a 518 year old painting crafted by one of the greatest artistic talents to ever roam this earth to downloading an image which only exists digitally.

You can't take a picture of the delicate brush strokes required to pull a painting like that off, or take a picture of the immense history of such a renouned piece of artwork.

But when you click "Save as.." on an NFT, sure you don't actually own the image based on the blockchain, but you have a pixel perfect copy of the image.

No issue with any of your other points but I dislike drawing the comparison to valuable art and paintings.

•   erin fair enough, I agree monkey pfp NFTs may be monetarily as valuable as great art pieces but they will never evoke the same awe that a beautiful art piece can.

Why did humans have to overcomplicate money, let's just go back to the chad spices and shiny metals

2021-09-26_17.01.50.png

•   Telesphoreo

If I take a picture of every artwork in a museum, is it now worth my money to pay a ticket to see the artwork in the museum?

You won't go and see Starry Night because you saw it online?

By assigning values to the pictures themselves, the value is pretty much worthless since anyone can see it regardless of who “owns it”.

It's pretty easy to get a copy of the Mona Lisa for <$100.

you can’t just sit at home and login to your bank account and add a million dollars to your bank account

Do you know how money is created. do you know how a bank works.