[Concept] Indefinite Ban Request Discussion - TinkleToucher

Please Note: The TotalFreedom Forum has now been put into a read-only mode. Total Freedom has now closed down and will not be returning in any way, shape or form. It has been a pleasure to lead this community and I wish you all the best for your futures.
  • DISCLAIMER: This thread is a proof of concept for a proposal I gave in the suggestion regarding removing IP addresses from Indefinite Ban Requests. This is not actually intended to be anything other than a concept. All information provided here is purely fictional, and is only intended as a demonstration.

This is not a real request.

An indefinite ban request has been filed for a player named TinkleToucher. This is the public portion of the standard indefinite ban request process that gives the community the opportunity to give their input on the matter. Admins can see the ongoing request in the admin sections at https://forum.totalfreedom.me/d/3074-indefin…t-tinkletoucher.

Claim

TinkleToucher is a notorious serial griefer, with 45 entries in the punishment log. The majority of the punishments were bans for griefing other players. The user has shown no interest in changing, and when warned about the possibility of a request being filed, gave me a hostile response. TinkleToucher's repeated violations of the conduct policy qualifies as a violation of these sections of the conduct policy:

1b. Repeated rule-breaking (recurring category 2 & 3 offenses or punishment bypassing).
    2a. Modifying other players’ builds (with intent) without permission from the builder.

Evidence

https://videogamesm12.me/Fxp181rlBYo7.png

https://videogamesm12.me/bFt2pVlPFnAk.png

image.png

• Object, him saying that you suck is based and we need more people telling the truth.

On a more serious note, you've done a good job with this. The one criticism I might give is that the only real information that is being withheld publicly are IP addresses. If that's the case, instead of writing a separate admin section thread, to have a megathread for all indefinite ban requests, in which the format involves something like the below

Username, UUID and IP of the offender(s):

Code
    shehxlk:  
      uuid: '7203d4a1-39e0-47df-9617-0e82fccd40de'  
      ips:  
      reason: 'Serial Trolling+ Rule Breaking'  

Link to indefinite ban request: https://forum.totalfreedom.me/d/1843-indefin…request-shehxlk

I feel that both staff and operators should be voting in the main public one, which would make a completely separate admin thread unnecessary aside from the information Steven needs for the entry. So a megathread could suffice.

Patrolling the Mojave almost makes you wish for a nuclear winter.

• I don't feel here is any value in writing the indefban yaml entry on this thread if you're redacting information... Seems like an utter waste of time.

I also don't want to see this information split, my original view still stands, either it's all in public or all in the admin section. The fact threads are split like this will end up with things being missed or confused.

Wild1145

Network Owner at TotalFreedom

Managing Director at ATLAS Media Group Ltd.

Founder & Owner at MastodonApp.UK

@'Ryan' I don’t feel here is any value in writing the indefban yaml entry on this thread if you’re redacting information… Seems like an utter waste of time.

Those were punishment log entries.

@'Ryan' I also don’t want to see this information split, my original view still stands, either it’s all in public or all in the admin section. The fact threads are split like this will end up with things being missed or confused.

We can't have it either way. People don't like having their IP being publicized, but they also don't like having stuff kept behind closed doors. Both the discussion and the original request would be linked to eachother to prevent things from being missed.

image.png

videogamesm12 We can’t have it either way. People don’t like having their IP being publicized, but they also don’t like having stuff kept behind closed doors. Both the discussion and the original request would be linked to eachother to prevent things from being missed.

Then tough shit... People either need to get over themselves or accept the public will lose the ability to vote in indef bans like they used to be...

Wild1145

videogamesm12 Those were punishment log entries.

In which case it might be worse... Given ip addresses help to confirm the user is who they really are and can't claim they were hacked, I'd argue modifying the punishment logs to react information on posts is inappropriate.

Wild1145

• I've done a quick research and found this article mentioning current law and some court cases.

Short summary: IP addresses alone aren't PII unless associated with other identifying data, turning them into personal identifiers. An EU ruling applies the protection against "indirect identification" only to companies who collect other personal info, like ISPs. US rulings are similar.

Now, sharing a Mojang ID and an IP address allows to identify an online entity but is far from making identification of a real person possible. So, legally speaking, are they really personal info?

TotalFreedom's Executive Community & Marketing Manager

•   Tizz this is not a public p2p democratic server with freedom of speech, its a minecraft server
    is posting grabify links on the discord not a bannable offence? Every major messaging platform makes efforts to hide users ips.

• @'billy7oblos' Yet somehow the law is still important... If you don't want the ips made public on ban requests the don't be a dick and break the rules...

Alternatively if people really don't want their ips shown then we can move the entire ibr process to be accessible to staff only.

Wild1145

• @'Ryan' yea, the law is important but that has nothing to do with ip addresses, just because the law says you can do something does not mean you should.
    especially as a Minecraft server, saying racial slurs and grifing are bannable, but the law allows both of them

• @'billy7oblos' So by your own logic there's nothing wrong then with me publishing IP Addresses because it's legal and part of our community guidelines and processes. Great, sorted.

Wild1145

• @'billy7oblos' You've yet to provide any reason why not... The only reason I'd consider redacting them globally is if it's a GDPR issue or if there is consensus that the community is happy for these to take place in the admin section.

I'm generally unhappy with the idea of splitting them because things will go wrong because human error is a thing, and if you don't want your IP in an IBR then don't break the rules and get one raised against you...

Wild1145

• from my pov if someone is gonna be indef banned they'll probably know why, as they'll have been banned beforehand on numerous occasions. those who break rules once like server crashing will likely be told in their initial ban message. if they're banned without prior warning or no information then we need to look at the procedure more than anything. therefore it shouldn't matter too much if it's public or private imo

52-CEF3-CF-C4-FF-4798-8469-4-BDCA5-D35247.jpg