Discord Ban Appeal

Please Note: The TotalFreedom Forum has now been put into a read-only mode. Total Freedom has now closed down and will not be returning in any way, shape or form. It has been a pleasure to lead this community and I wish you all the best for your futures.
  • Like   Folfy_Blue has said, as long as nobody shares NSFW media, the server should be safe from censorship.

However, I believe people making gross messages like these thinking it's funnier than Among Us spam deserve a temp mute. Especially if they're posted in the server chat channel as people under 13 can read those.

So I vouch for the unban even if I disagree that these kind of jokes are acceptable in an all-age community.

TotalFreedom's Executive Community & Marketing Manager

• There was technically a minor infraction here, but it's pretty obvious that this isn't enough to warrant a punishment. Vouch.

• Has anyone actually got a reason beyond the fact they don't like the Discord rules...? So far it seems folks just don't like the "No NSFW" rule rather than anything else...

Wild1145

Network Owner at TotalFreedom

Managing Director at ATLAS Media Group Ltd.

Founder & Owner at MastodonApp.UK

•   StevenNL2000 That may be so, but it is the first rule under "Bannable offences"... It's a bit like us not banning someone in game and going "Well they only destroyed 1 build so it's only a little bit of damage not a lot"...

I am not entirely disagreeing with the point being made either, I'm just challenging that someone has broken a rule and doesn't feel that rule should be applied how we've said it would be applied, I'm not really seeing any actual reason why we shouldn't have applied the rule when it was clearly broken... I'd like to see some actual evidence of it not breaking the rules, or some level of remorse for breaking the rule in the first place... Sort of feels like that's what the point of the appeal process was designed for.

Wild1145

@'Ryan' That may be so, but it is the first rule under "Bannable offences"... It's a bit like us not banning someone in game and going "Well they only destroyed 1 build so it's only a little bit of damage not a lot"...

That is not a foreign concept, admins have been giving out smites and tempbans for minor grief for years even though griefing has always been listed a day ban offense.

• in my view there have been things far worse said in chat that could be classed as NSFW that weren't. sometimes these happened while you were in chat, @"Ryan"#1. I'm not arguing that what shrimp said wasn't NSFW, nor am I arguing that the rule is silly, rather I'm arguing that this ban should set a precedent for what is or isn't allowed under the term "NSFW" because from what I see, it is very vague. For example, me saying "eat my ass" is technically NSFW; it's detailing a sexual action. Depending on who you ask, swearing could also be considered NSFW. At the end of the day you talk about NSFW upon your interpretation, which you expect us to know before actually telling us.

Bottom line being: Ryan, if you think this phrase should be banned under being too NSFW, go for it, I support whatever you choose, but it's unfair to hold our users to that standard at present given we don't actually know what you think is NSFW anymore.

as well as that, upon seeing conversations worse than this, how was shrimp meant to know that this isn't allowed? Why is it fair to keep him banned based on something that was left vague?

this is why I vouch. i think it's unfair to hold people to a standard that isn't clearly defined.

52-CEF3-CF-C4-FF-4798-8469-4-BDCA5-D35247.jpg

•   StevenNL2000 And it comes down to judgement, that I do not disagree with. My judgement is the content was graphic and inappropriate, and had no place being the first thing new players see when they join our Discord, and that it's likely in breach of the discord community guidelines.

It's one thing to disagree with my position, and that's fine, I have no issue with that, but from my reading the vast majority of replies here are not disagreeing with my position, they disagree that it's a rule... I have no issue if the answer if "You're wrong", but there are very few people that have made an actual argument for why this doesn't break the NSFW rules and is not absolutely inappropriate for a non-NSFW Channel...

Wild1145

• TotalFreedom in relation to NSFW stands on a gray area, where some are acceptable and others aren't; Let's understand where the TF Discord stands on in terms of NSFW Content.

NSFW Content is but not limited to imagery and videos are banned but those come with an appropriate punishment. In this very case, the content which happens to be in text form is of poor taste and not very PG13, however, as a first violation It doesn't require extreme punishments such as a ban - Second-time violations are meant with a ban.

Unlike text forms, images and videos are bannable.

• Text Forms: First Violation - Mute , Second Violation - Ban
    • Videos or Images that contain NSFW will be deleted and the user will be banned as a result

Statements like "suck my dick" are not extreme but going further to add details of such actions with the knowledge that our community contains underage (-16) users is childish and should be warned and or muted as a first-time violation.

After reviewing Discord's TOS and Guidelines; Discord gives Server Owners (In our case, Ryan) to roll out judgement on something that is inappropriate or otherwise but my concern is that underage minors are being exposed to those things as it's my responsibility to keep the TF Discord somewhat PG so that users of all ages (13+) can use our discord without the concern of being exposed to such content.

We have three things to follow while accessing the TF Discord; Discord's TOS & Guidelines and TF's DCP (Discord Conduct Policy)

Ryan's ban has a valid reason, so does the community's input on this matter but the point of those opinions are subjective to what something could be considered NSFW. Ryan may have a different line to where something is acceptable as SFW or otherwise, so do I and everyone.

Those are my 2 cents on the matter, therefore, I will be reducing shrimp's punishment from ban to 2-day Server Mute which will completely limit his ability to communicate within the discord but will be able to view the chat log.

Welcome back, https://discord.com/invite/totalfreedom