Why was videogamesmash forum admin?

Please Note: The TotalFreedom Forum has now been put into a read-only mode. Total Freedom has now closed down and will not be returning in any way, shape or form. It has been a pleasure to lead this community and I wish you all the best for your futures.
  • I was becoming increasingly frustrated by Flarum's broken permission system preventing me from doing my job. Initially I just gave myself Forum Mod just to be able to lock them, but then I noticed I couldn't tag threads as 'Approved' or 'Disapproved', so I had Ryan give me Forum Admin temporarily so that I could tag them properly. This was a temporary solution as it was 2 AM for Ryan at the time and he needed to sleep. The next morning, Ryan fixed the permissions problem and removed me from Forum Admin.

This is also why my predecessor, James, was a Forum Admin.

image.png

•   elmon Because your forum mod powers combined with the EAO role seems to actually let you do your job.

But yes, hate you really <3

Wild1145

Network Owner at TotalFreedom

Managing Director at ATLAS Media Group Ltd.

Founder & Owner at MastodonApp.UK

@'Ryan' Because your forum mod powers combined with the EAO role seems to actually let you do your job.

yeah but forum mod & discord mod gang (me and elmon)

assrix, assryx, asterisk, *

awesomeist tf blokey

• I am quite worried that the permissions aren't tested on this forum. It should be common sense to test things to prevent problems in the long term. I have seen people use alts for the sole purpose of testing stuff, so why doesn't @"Ryan"#1 make an alt account to make sure all permissions are correct?

•   characterslimits Because we had tested the permissions originally. There was an incident where a forum admin accidently wiped them and we rebuilt them. Unfortunately flarum permission system is one of the worst I've ever used and is much much harder to work with than it should be. The issue here for example is we had to grant the eao role the ability to create new threads with an approved / denied tag without approval, which makes no sense for moving threads around.

Wild1145

@'Ryan' The issue here for example is we had to grant the eao role the ability to create new threads with an approved / denied tag without approval, which makes no sense for moving threads around.

In my opinion, forum mods shouldn't be able to move discussions to places they don't have access to themselves. I don't want moderators to post a discussion at a random location, then move it to a location that they shouldn't be able to post there. I'm siding with Flarum here.

•   characterslimits Video was not a forum moderator, and they had permission to create threads, re-tag and other things.

It's a specific permission node that you need in addition to "Move posts" "re-tag posts" and "Create post" which made no sense.

Flarum's permissions system is the single worst forum permission system I have had the misfortune to use.

But none the less, the question has been answered as to why Video did temporarily have forum admin and mod perms.

Wild1145