Make Plex's source code available to the public

Please Note: The TotalFreedom Forum has now been put into a read-only mode. Total Freedom has now closed down and will not be returning in any way, shape or form. It has been a pleasure to lead this community and I wish you all the best for your futures.
  • @Telesphoreo#1326 Alright so it's everyone else's fault now? I personally didn't know it was closed source so evidently you've not been telling people non-stop

As I said, grow up. Don't justify rudeness with 'well he made me mad!'

52-CEF3-CF-C4-FF-4798-8469-4-BDCA5-D35247.jpg

• @Telesphoreo#1314 What is with the rudeness? Admins should not be acting like this, let alone the Executive Lead Developer. People have the right to ask questions. When you don’t give a sufficient answer, then you should expect push back. I don’t care what mood you’re in, there is no need to be rude. You still have not given a reason as to why the plugin is going to be closed-source until there’s a “preview" available.

• I vouch. The entire development process should be as transparent as possible as it enables the community to understand what's going on with the server. The rudeness to supporters of this decision in regards to a SUGGESTION is also unwarranted. It's not like its being forced to be made open source at the creation of this SUGGESTION but instead, he opened up discussion for the community to provide input on whether or not it should be open source.

javaw_VqNRNZdU6Q.png
    image.png
    image.png

• i dont think that anything is confirmed to be a replacement to TFM nor exclusive. i feel like since this is a huge decision it would need to be voted on and have wilds approval. i think plex has a long ways to go and before that and since the source code would open up before that. it would allow the community to review the code when this vote actually happens. i dont think packs would just do it out of the blue because again it is a huge change. whilst development is early days its kinda pointless to open it up. im willing to respect that for the time being

but i mean i people piled on packs for the attitude and with all due respect man was kinda out of line a bit i mean come on, i dont think video had an intent to piss you off i think people are in this mindset that its set in stone and TFM is being stripped out for this plugin no one knows shit about. sure its likely to happen but i kinda get the frustration of working on something and having people want to see it early. end of the day at this current time its his code. before it is added to tf i would assume by then it would be open source and the community would've agreed on it. give it time.

assrix, assryx, asterisk, *

awesomeist tf blokey

• The devs for this don't need to release this, we don't have any control over what they chose to do with their code, if it was tfm, sure, but its not, on top of this, development takes a long time, and its very likely that they don't have that much fully ready just yet. give them time

• @Telesphoreo#1326 Quite frankly that's no excuse for the behaviour in this thread. And especially ironic given that's exactly the same thing you did to me in the thread about the panel.

Consider this your formal warning, if you continue to be rude and aggressive you will be formally sanctioned.

Wild1145

Network Owner at TotalFreedom

Managing Director at ATLAS Media Group Ltd.

Founder & Owner at MastodonApp.UK

• So I'm going to chime in and give my view.

Plex is not an official replacement for TFM on TF at the current time, as far as I'm concerned and aware, it's a side project that is being undertaken with the longer term goal of being able to move off of TFM if Plex becomes feature complete and is fit for purpose.

I won't be installing the plugin on the server or permitting it's install on the server until such a time that I'm happy that the plugin meets the same standards as we have previously enforced (Or at least the ones Mark enforced when he ran things and that we enforced when we were developing TFM back on the original) and before I'm sure that it's both sustainable in the long term, and worth moving over to longer term.

It's not within my gift to enforce this to be open / closed source now, I'd absolutely encourage it because if it's going to end up open source what difference does it make... If anything it may make life easier through others sending in PR's...

Either way I don't think there is anything to be concerned about yet on this.

Wild1145

• As a developer, I've been in a bunch of situations where my team and I have decided to not open-source until a later date. The reasons can vary. For one of them though, we just didn't want people seeing a 1-week old fetus of a repo. If you guys care so much about the plugin - which, by the looks of it, you do - it won't kill anyone to wait a little longer and then go digging through the source.

• Plex is not an official replacement for TFM, and given the recent events is no longer a viable one at that.

I'm going to decline this because while I agree it should be open source, I can't mandate other developers publish their code especially when it's no longer associated with TF in any capacity.

Wild1145