Log all forms of punishments

Please Note: The TotalFreedom Forum has now been put into a read-only mode. Total Freedom has now closed down and will not be returning in any way, shape or form. It has been a pleasure to lead this community and I wish you all the best for your futures.
  • Logging all forms of punishments within the HTTPD module would allow admins to make a more informed decision on indefinite ban requests. This may not be possible due to database issues and TFM not working properly with better databases than others.

• I’m confused, I made this suggestion because of the Bottle0fWindex situation and there being a lack of punishment logs to back up claims. If we have all of these logs, why can’t you show us all of the punishments on your IBR.
    @Ashaz#14291

• @redeastwood#14293 I believe the punishment log gets wiped quite often. I remember trying to fetch some old ban messages for a user, and that user had no punishments logged- in fact the entire list was empty.

• According to the TotalFreedomMod's code, here's a proper list of punishments that are logged:

• Bans (/tempban, /ban, and /tban)
    • Dooms
    • Kicks
    • Mutes
    • Smites

Some punishments are indeed not logged, and this is likely the result of an oversight.

Vouch.

image.png

• Would anyone also support the idea of logging unbans too? In the Bottle0fWindex situation we still can't find out who unbanned him because TFM stopped logging.

Also, when TFM stops logging, does it stop logging punishments?

• I don't think the issue in that case is that we're technically missing anything, certainly not anything of major note. The issue comes in that we don't warn folks in the same way, some people will use /say and give them a lecture, some will just /warn them. That combined with it being difficult to search through logs at the best of times just makes it tricky to actually get a fully accurate picture here.

Wild1145

Network Owner at TotalFreedom

Managing Director at ATLAS Media Group Ltd.

Founder & Owner at MastodonApp.UK

@Ashaz#14298 Would anyone also support the idea of logging unbans too? In the Bottle0fWindex situation we still can't find out who unbanned him because TFM stopped logging.

In a log file specifically for logging punishments, no. I feel that it wouldn't make sense. However, I do like the idea. Perhaps we could look into the idea of shifting the punishment log from a log all about punishments to an audit log of every administrative action.

@Ashaz#14298 Also, when TFM stops logging, does it stop logging punishments?

No.

image.png

• @videogamesm12#14297
    The ones that are not logged, which is likely the more useful list are as follows:

• Blockedit and BlockPvP (although these can be used on everyone on the server so maybe this doesn't need to be logged)
    • Blockcmd
    • Cage
    • Orbit
    • Warn (which is the big one imo)

@elmon#14306 Warn (which is the big one imo)

I thought this was logged? Or did I miss something? I'm sure I've seen warnings in the punishment logs before...

Wild1145

• I guess I must have been mistaking them. That's fair, the punishment list and entire setup is on the long term re-write and re-do list or to push TFM events into NM given that's what I'd ideally like to use, which I know does track warnings so must be that which I was thinking was logging warns then.

Wild1145

• I agree we should be logging warn and have raised FS-207 to add that.

What are peoples thoughts on the other ones in @elmon's list? I'm not sure Cage / Orbit / Blockcmd / Blockedit / Blockpvp will be super useful, as they should all also come with a /warn or a similar punishment?

Wild1145

• @videogamesm12#15414 I guess they probably shouldn't be, especially given how often /cage and /orbit especially are used by admins for trolling each other...

Wild1145

• @StevenNL2000#15451 My concern is the usefulness of the data.

Players / admins often get caged / orbited for example for fun / trolling, because really that's what the commands were originally created for.

The blocking of commands, pvp or block editing is a bit different, but I'm just wary of over-logging when the value of the data is questionable.

Wild1145