freedom.play.totalfreedom.me

Please Note: The TotalFreedom Forum has now been put into a read-only mode. Total Freedom has now closed down and will not be returning in any way, shape or form. It has been a pleasure to lead this community and I wish you all the best for your futures.
  • @wild1145#6878 I’m not gonna argue past this anymore, I understand you’ve made a decision I just want to ask you to look in the #freedom-02-server-chat channel

just to see how people are reacting to this

the whole channel is people being frustrated and leaving instantly

• @UnderTails#6940 I can't see anyone actually reacting to the change... I see people joining and leaving... Nobody has said anything, and nobody seems to actually care.

As I say, we want players by default to come in via the hub, so they can see all the game modes we have to offer, and while at this moment that's back down to 1, it won't be in the longer term, I didn't expect SMP to be taken down to re-work so quickly, and had hoped by the time we come to re-doing / changing SMP we would have the other game modes / servers setup that we've been working on.

Wild1145

Network Owner at TotalFreedom

Managing Director at ATLAS Media Group Ltd.

Founder & Owner at MastodonApp.UK

• wild1145 Can you explain what technical debt you would incur by implementing it the suggested way? I understand that the idea is that players will never find themselves unable to connect to the network, but I don't see a reason why you can't fall back to the hub if and only if the target server is down. It can even be set up in such a way that adding a server to the Bungee automatically enables joining it directly through a subdomain.

• @StevenNL2000#7025 Technical debt specifically, none. It's just not the way in which I had designed the hostnames to work.

In NM there is a group called "Freedom" which the sub-domain points to, and likewise the "SPM" server group has the smp hostname pointing to it.

The issue seems to be if you use forced hosts like we do in this configuration, bungee won't route you back to the hub if you just fail to connect, which is what we've seen on a few occasions in the original configuration that I had mis-configured, instead the client just fails to connect.

The bottom line for me is the freedom. and smp. hostnames were never intended to be permanent and if I'm honest the less people who want to use them, the better! I'd much rather people join via the hub so that as more game modes come online they get that choice and know about it, but also if we do have other major issues like when Freedom-01 was getting the shit kicked out of it we can easily re-route players to Freedom-02 or another server or the hub in general...

Wild1145

• This whole thing sounds like an aggressive and frankly a dick move. Firstly, I think players should always connect to the server they were last on. If it's down (which wouldn't surprise me), then default to the hub.

And I also think you should be able to put in a 01 or 02 in the IP to let people connect directly.

Lastly, I don't think your metrics are accurate at all. I doubt most of the players know you can add freedom to the domain to connect. If you were to let every single player who used only the play subdomain, I'm pretty sure they would start using freedom too. But I still think you're on purposely complicating how people connect just because you can rather than doing what's best for the players and server

@Telesphoreo#7060 This whole thing sounds like an aggressive and frankly a dick move. Firstly, I think players should always connect to the server they were last on. If it's down (which wouldn't surprise me), then default to the hub.

I have no specific issue with doing that. It's never had a suggestion thread for it. We default people to the hub because that feels like sensible behaviour and common practice.

@Telesphoreo#7060 And I also think you should be able to put in a 01 or 02 in the IP to let people connect directly.

Simply won't do this. Makes it impossible to effectively use the benefits of the way we've got the network setup where we can dynamically add servers on the fly without a bungee restart. And again longer term I don't really want people joining specific servers directly, I want people to all come in on the play ip not a sub domain of it.

@Telesphoreo#7060 Lastly, I don't think your metrics are accurate at all. I

I pulled them from network manager which logs the host name players use to connect. It quite literally can't be wrong.

@Telesphoreo#7060 I doubt most of the players know you can add freedom to the domain to connect. If you were to let every single player who used only the play subdomain, I'm pretty sure they would start using freedom too. But I still think you're on purposely complicating how people connect just because you can rather than doing what's best for the players and server

There's nothing stopping people, but I'm not going to advertise a behaviour which I have already deemed to be legacy and end of life. The freedom subdomain will be deleted in the future as will the smp host name and others. It's currently only still in place for anyone who uses it or has historically used it (smp this is) and freedom was to try to keep people a bit happy who couldn't be bothered to walk through a fucking portal or use a quick selector to change server from the hub...

People should connect using play.totalfreedom.me and nothing else. It's that simple. That's the official way to connect and is how I want people to connect. I want people to know about other game modes we have to offer even if they only play in game and a hub is the best way to do that. As I say though I have no issue with people rejoining the last server they were on in principle, and I'd welcome someone writing it up as a suggestion so it can be talked through properly.

Wild1145

• Given as I've already said more than once that the bug was quite literally that you did only join freedom 1 instead of one of them. I'm closing this thread.

If you want to change the behaviour of the bungee and how players connect then write up a new suggestion please.

Wild1145