Shop items still work even when the shop is disabled

Please Note: The TotalFreedom Forum has now been put into a read-only mode. Total Freedom has now closed down and will not be returning in any way, shape or form. It has been a pleasure to lead this community and I wish you all the best for your futures.
  • Interesting... Not sure what I would expect the behaviour to be. That sort of feels right, if you bought items previously then you can keep using them, but if you don't already own them then you can't use them?

Wild1145

Network Owner at TotalFreedom

Managing Director at ATLAS Media Group Ltd.

Founder & Owner at MastodonApp.UK

• Whether this is a bug or not depends entirely on whether you consider the items that can be bought in the shop to be part of the shop itself. In the context of other servers using TotalFreedomMod, keeping it how it is now is more flexible: if you never enable the shop, nobody will have the items anyway, and the current setup allows you to grant access to shop items by editing the database from outside TFM.

• @wild1145#5624 It looks to just be like there is nothing in the code prohibiting users who already own the item when the Shop feature is toggled off from getting their items

I'm fairly confident this just forgot to be implemented with the mindset that most users will keep the shop enabled

• @Ivan#5629 Yeah, I think my point is more that actually this feels like the right behaviour.

If you have bought an item from the shop, you should be able to always use that item (Unless it's removed from the shop obviously) but if the shop is disabled after purchasing it (Like our Freedom-02 server would be) then you can't buy a new item, but use the old ones

Wild1145

@wild1145#5642 If you have bought an item from the shop, you should be able to always use that item (Unless it's removed from the shop obviously) but if the shop is disabled after purchasing it (Like our Freedom-02 server would be) then you can't buy a new item, but use the old ones

Why not just make it available for everyone if the shop is disabled?

image.png

• @Miwojedk#5673 so it's something we actually do on TF. Freedom 2 we disable the shop and coins because there's no way to keep it in sync easily with freedom 1 and we didn't want people to feel out of pocket.

For me this comes down to what you would reasonably expect the behaviour to be in basically this exact scenario where we have two servers and one has a copy of the tfm database but the shop disabled. Do you let everyone use all the previously premium commands or do you still enforce that only those who did buy the item can use them.

Wild1145

• @Miwojedk#5692 So in our case no, but perhaps a more realistic example for other servers running TFM.

I own RyanFreedom, I have the shop setup and running, but decide for that I no longer think it's a good idea. So I go into TFM's config and disable the shop.

The question is what the behaviour should be.

The options so far are

1 - (Current Behaviour) You can't buy more items / earn more coins but any items you bought you can use, but any items from the shop that you don't own you can't use
    2 - Every item in the shop should be able to be used by any player regardless of purchase history
    3 - No item in the shop should be able to be used by any player regardless of purchase history

In my view, 1 feels like the right behaviour, because if I decided to re-enable the shop, it should only have had the impact of "Pausing" the economy on the server rather than failing open / closed.

Wild1145

• I'm going to move this out to the developers space, because I'm still not convinced if this is a bug or feature change.

Further thoughts would be appreciated.

Wild1145