TotalFreedom's Player-base Decrease

Please Note: The TotalFreedom Forum has now been put into a read-only mode. Total Freedom has now closed down and will not be returning in any way, shape or form. It has been a pleasure to lead this community and I wish you all the best for your futures.
  • When you look at our long term stats we've been losing players over the last 6 months in terms of online activity, however the new players have remained around the same (For the most part). This means we know we have an issue with player retention at the end of the day rather than promoting the server (Generally speaking again).

In an effort to kill a few birds with one stone, we decided that the best route forward would be to diversify TF and offer different game modes that players could chose from, and where possible do so with minimal developer effort for the time being, this way our dev team could focus on the work on Freedom-01 and usually I've found more players = more motivated developers.

We started this process by acquiring the Skyblock server from an existing community and started to work towards integrating it to be part of our wider network, however with the backlash and abuse that was received, work has since ground to a halt with this (Though some will probably pick back up). At the same time as this we were working to move to a new forums to help the community better connect outside of the game, were developing the anarchy gamemode, were working on the planning for a totally bespoke game-mode that we were hoping to get the developers to start working on in the near future and had started looking at what we needed to do to help improve the Freedom-01 infrastructure sustainability.

As a result of the abuse that I and other executives got, the vast majority of this was burned and I decided that if the community weren't willing to back what I wanted to do with TF as owner, there was little point throwing more capacity, time and money behind it.

Right now for me, I view TF as being in a "Sustain" phase, we'll keep the lights on, we'll keep things as up to date as we can, but I can't see us doing any major innovative things until something changes. The 90% of the community that abuses me and the executives and are generally speaking the loud voices on the community are generally the same 90% of players that haven't joined the server in months, and don't actually care about our community's experience in game. That's not the case for all our community, but a lot of the forums and discord community don't play the game...

For me to even consider putting more of my time / money into new game modes or major re-work / improvements, the community needs to make a shift to actually care about it's longer term success. I'll keep TF running until we reach the point there are no players left that join the game... But at the same time we will start finding that plugins are harder if not impossible to update, and our ability to be agile and responsive will continue to deteriorate unless things change for the better.

For me and a lot of the senior staff on TF, it's often not a welcoming community to be a part of, I'm abused by people on a weekly basis, and if I removed them from the community I'd get abused by more people for "Silencing those who speak out against me" I'm sure.

TLDR - Some of the community need to stop being dick bags and want to change, or we'll just keep going how we're going.

Wild1145

Network Owner at TotalFreedom

Managing Director at ATLAS Media Group Ltd.

Founder & Owner at MastodonApp.UK

• Most of the people that are joining Minecraft every day aren't for Java Edition. 75%+ of the community is now on Bedrock Edition so there should really be a Bedrock Edition server. I remember we had one at one point during the Seth era but Seth didn't want to diversify at the time, so maybe we should relook at a Bedrock Server next.

MiasmusAlt That's what matters, and that's what I play for.

@'Ryan' that's the impression I got from the most vocal members. They associate TF with a niche community built around a freeOP server and nothing else.

If you need a more consistent playerbase to justify wasting money on running servers, I wouldn't be surprised you'd get less backslash by making TF a part of something bigger instead of expanding TF itself (imagine calling it "The Wild Network" lol). Is it different from the original idea? Probably not, but you know psychology works in often non logical ways.

TotalFreedom's Executive Community & Marketing Manager

•   Tizz The issue is that niche community is shrinking at a fairly rapid rate... We rarely if ever see more than 20 players online at once, and are increasingly seeing times where Freedom-01 has 0 players on. That's the issue I currently have, I appreciate the community is a large part of TF, but for that community to survive in a meaningful way we need to be brining more people into the community as a whole.

Also not sure I even could merge TF into something bigger, given that'd effectively remove the ownership policy from being valid / a thing I'm sure that'd cause riots.

Wild1145

@'Ryan' I'm abused by people on a weekly basis, and if I removed them from the community I'd get abused by more people for "Silencing those who speak out against me" I'm sure.

I think I need to say this considering the last thread I made.
    I don't hate you, it's just that sometimes you do stuff that I don't agree with. However, it's not fair to hate people based on their opinions and that's the main problem here, especially with the ad-hominem attacks. However, a community member, I (should) have the right to say "I don't like this" or "I don't like what you're doing" or something of the lines of that.

•   littleconnor1 An actual marketing campaign doesn't cost "a few dollars." One of few ways to effectively market your Minecraft server to an interested audience is to bid for a top spot on server lists. Here's how much just 15 days at the top of a server list costs:

[img]https://i.imgur.com/aS8GbmA.png[/img]

People have offered to pay for some of TotalFreedom's expenses, but I don't think anyone is going to shell out $300 for something like this that might not even work. And TopG isn't even one of the bad ones...some of them are an auction where servers like MineSuperior pay ridiculous amounts to stay at the top. In a normal community, we could attempt to raise money to pay for something like this, but TF's core values are against that. Aside from all this, I don't even think an ad campaign the server is going to help us with the real problems we're having (player retention.)

In my opinion, what we need to do is establish interesting gameplay on the server, whether it be a new gamemode or developmental improvements to the freedom server, and then after that gains some interest formulate a marketing plan based on the actual reasons players find the server interesting.

•   matscalle No... I didn't... I said the ownership policy allows me to delete the server... The ownership policy is still on the forum or should be as far as I'm aware.

Wild1145

• consider:
    .the only thing that sets your server apart is the fact that its "free op" (and the op status might be removed)
    .vanilla features are severely restricted
    .players are banned and doxxed for trolling and using "exploits"
    what could have been a super cool server with vanilla features is now a super sensitive bunch of admins (and owner), and all active players eventually get banned or are added to the admin list