Looking for a new phone, maybe Android

Please Note: The TotalFreedom Forum has now been put into a read-only mode. Total Freedom has now closed down and will not be returning in any way, shape or form. It has been a pleasure to lead this community and I wish you all the best for your futures.
  • Hi guys

So basically, I currently have an iPhone 6s which is slowly passing.. I’d say it’s got a good few months more. In the meantime, I’m looking for phones to buy.

My budget is £400, but I can stretch it to £450. Now, I like iPhones, and I’ve used Android phones too but in recent days I’ve been deciding whether to go with iPhone or not as their batteries have a lower capacity than many Android phones. The reason why I like iPhone though is the ease of usability I have with it; I can do a lot in a short amount of time. With Android, I get a good feel but it’s not as fluid as iPhone.

iPhones are really easy to distinguish between and I am considering the XS Max instead of the SE. The annoying thing is that there is no fingerprint sensor on the XS Max.

I don’t know much about Androids though. Could you guys tell me about any suggestions for phones to choose? I’m also open to any advice about them

• If you want an Android phone, I would recommend the Pixel 4a 5G. The display is large and the phone is fairly new (current-gen) so you'll get updates for a while. The battery life is very long, and the camera is also excellent, as it's the same one as in the Pixel 5. The older gen iPhones have too many shortcomings for me to be able to recommend them. The SE is ok, but the battery life won't be great. The newer processor eats up that previous gen battery quickly. Alternatively, you could wait till Black Friday and see if something a bit more expensive like a Pixel 5 or iPhone 12 gets discounted enough to fit your budget.

• iOS is dogshit, you've made the right choice switching to android. I'd recommend any of the Samsung phones.

If you're going for quality for a cheap price, go for any of the Samsung A-Series phones, they average around £140-£200 which is very good for what you get. I recently bought a Samsung A21S, cost me about £140 and it's more than I expected, great camera, great quality, just all-around great things.

If you're willing to bump up your price a bit, you can probably get some of the newer Samsung phones too. Pixels are always an option too, but probably not the best, the first two pixels are crap.

Shdwo iOS is dogshit, you've made the right choice switching to android.

I personally like Apple's iOS because of the ease of use it gives me. It's clean, quick and responsive. However, there's some small features of iPhone that I love and you can't get them on many Androids. For example, there's a little notch on iPhones which you can push up and down to switch between Ringer On/Off - this is a handy tool for when I'm in areas like School and I can do it through clothing too.

I'm really confused on whether to go with Android or not, my decision isn't confirmed yet.

You! there's a little notch on iPhones which you can push up and down to switch between Ringer On/Off - this is a handy tool for when I'm in areas like School and I can do it through clothing too.

This is a feature I have on my phone? Its a three way physical switch between silent, vibrate and ring. Definitely not iPhone exclusive.

Patrolling the Mojave almost makes you wish for a nuclear winter.

•   You! Thing with android is that, even if you do love Apple's OS.. because of the limitless customisation you can do with android phones - You can just as easily make your Android phone look like an Apple phone.

Unbox Therapy actually made a video on some launchers that can easily do this:

For example, there's a little notch on iPhones which you can push up and down to switch between Ringer On/Off

This is available on most phones, not just iPhone. Even if you get a phone that doesn't have it, you can just map a button to your lockscreen or something

•   You! On the androids that don't have a ringer switch, you can just hold down the volume button to go into silent, and then turn the volume up to get out of silent. That's a feature on all androids, and can also be done through clothing.

• Personally, I prefer a phone that lasts long, doesn't fucking shatter into pieces upon being dropped, can have its battery replaced easily, won't give you bullshit about the battery not being genuine, has a headphone jack, and can be easily customized. The iPhone unfortunately has none of that without using modifications.

image.png

• If your concern is iphone being more fluid, then you should know that Android 12 is right around the corner. Supporting all the new Samsung and Pixels, Android 12's goal is to make Android more customizable and likeable depending on your tastes. There are already tutorials popping up online showing users how to make the dev version of Android look like ios.