reinsart,ment - ginlong

Please Note: The TotalFreedom Forum has now been put into a read-only mode. Total Freedom has now closed down and will not be returning in any way, shape or form. It has been a pleasure to lead this community and I wish you all the best for your futures.
  • i have no idea what i should say so i'm just going to copy the lyrics from talking head's once in a lifetime and paste it here

And you may find yourself living in a shotgun shack
    And you may find yourself in another part of the world
    And you may find yourself behind the wheel of a large automobile
    And you may find yourself in a beautiful house, with a beautiful wife
    And you may ask yourself, "Well, how did I get here?"
    Letting the days go by, let the water hold me down
    Letting the days go by, water flowing underground
    Into the blue again, after the money's gone
    Once in a lifetime, water flowing underground
    And you may ask yourself, "How do I work this?"
    And you may ask yourself, "Where is that large automobile?"
    And you may tell yourself, "This is not my beautiful house"
    And you may tell yourself, "This is not my beautiful wife"
    Same as it ever was, same as it ever was
    Water dissolving and water removing
    There is water at the bottom of the ocean
    Under the water, carry the water
    Remove the water from the bottom of the ocean
    Water dissolving and water removing
    Into the blue again, into the silent water
    Under the rocks and stones, there is water underground
    Leting the days go by, water flowing underground
    You may ask yourself, "What is that beautiful house?"
    You may ask yourself, "Where does that highway go to?"
    And you may ask yourself, "Am I right, am I wrong?"
    And you may say to yourself, "My God, what have I done?"
    Into the blue again, into the silent water
    Under the rocks and stones, there is water underground
    Same as it ever was, look where my hand was
    Time isn't holding up, time isn't after us
    Same as it ever was, same as it ever was (I couldn't get no rest)
    Same as it ever was, hey let's all twist our thumbs
    Here comes the twister
    Letting the days go by (same as it ever was, same as it ever was)
    Letting the days go by (same as it ever was, same as it ever was)
    Once in a lifetime, let the water hold me down

• I’d just like to interject for a moment. What you’re refering to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I’ve recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called Linux, and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine’s resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called Linux distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux!

•   Telesphoreo

No, Richard, it's 'Linux', not 'GNU/Linux'. The most important contributions that the FSF made to Linux were the creation of the GPL and the GCC compiler. Those are fine and inspired products. GCC is a monumental achievement and has earned you, RMS, and the Free Software Foundation countless kudos and much appreciation. Following are some reasons for you to mull over, including some already answered in your FAQ. One guy, Linus Torvalds, used GCC to make his operating system (yes, Linux is an OS -- more on this later). He named it 'Linux' with a little help from his friends. Why doesn't he call it GNU/Linux? Because he wrote it, with more help from his friends, not you. You named your stuff, I named my stuff -- including the software I wrote using GCC -- and Linus named his stuff. The proper name is Linux because Linus Torvalds says so. Linus has spoken. Accept his authority. To do otherwise is to become a nag. You don't want to be known as a nag, do you? (An operating system) != (a distribution). Linux is an operating system. By my definition, an operating system is that software which provides and limits access to hardware resources on a computer. That definition applies whereever you see Linux in use. However, Linux is usually distributed with a collection of utilities and applications to make it easily configurable as a desktop system, a server, a development box, or a graphics workstation, or whatever the user needs. In such a configuration, we have a Linux (based) distribution. Therein lies your strongest argument for the unwieldy title 'GNU/Linux' (when said bundled software is largely from the FSF). Go bug the distribution makers on that one. Take your beef to Red Hat, Mandrake, and Slackware. At least there you have an argument. Linux alone is an operating system that can be used in various applications without any GNU software whatsoever. Embedded applications come to mind as an obvious example. Next, even if we limit the GNU/Linux title to the GNU-based Linux distributions, we run into another obvious problem. XFree86 may well be more important to a particular Linux installation than the sum of all the GNU contributions. More properly, shouldn't the distribution be called XFree86/Linux? Or, at a minimum, XFree86/GNU/Linux? Of course, it would be rather arbitrary to draw the line there when many other fine contributions go unlisted. Yes, I know you've heard this one before. Get used to it. You'll keep hearing it until you can cleanly counter it. You seem to like the lines-of-code metric. There are many lines of GNU code in a typical Linux distribution. You seem to suggest that (more LOC) == (more important). However, I submit to you that raw LOC numbers do not directly correlate with importance. I would suggest that clock cycles spent on code is a better metric. For example, if my system spends 90% of its time executing XFree86 code, XFree86 is probably the single most important collection of code on my system. Even if I loaded ten times as many lines of useless bloatware on my system and I never excuted that bloatware, it certainly isn't more important code than XFree86. Obviously, this metric isn't perfect either, but LOC really, really sucks. Please refrain from using it ever again in supporting any argument. Last, I'd like to point out that we Linux and GNU users shouldn't be fighting among ourselves over naming other people's software. But what the heck, I'm in a bad mood now. I think I'm feeling sufficiently obnoxious to make the point that GCC is so very famous and, yes, so very useful only because Linux was developed. In a show of proper respect and gratitude, shouldn't you and everyone refer to GCC as 'the Linux compiler'? Or at least, 'Linux GCC'? Seriously, where would your masterpiece be without Linux? Languishing with the HURD? If there is a moral buried in this rant, maybe it is this: Be grateful for your abilities and your incredible success and your considerable fame. Continue to use that success and fame for good, not evil. Also, be especially grateful for Linux' huge contribution to that success. You, RMS, the Free Software Foundation, and GNU software have reached their current high profiles largely on the back of Linux. You have changed the world. Now, go forth and don't be a nag.

A fool's fool fools fools who foolishly accept the foolishness of a fool's fool.

•   Folfy_Blue What the fuck did you just fucking say about me, you little proprietary bitch? I'll have you know I graduated top of my class in the FSF, and I've been involved in numerous secret raids on Apple patents, and I have over 300 confirmed bug fixes. I am trained in Free Software Evangelizing and I'm the top code contributer for the entire GNU HURD. You are nothing to me but just another compile time error. I will wipe you the fuck out with precision the likes of which has never been seen before on this Earth, mark my fucking words. You think you can get away with saying that shit to me over the Internet? Think again, fucker. As we speak I am building a GUI using GTK+ and your IP is being traced right now so you better prepare for the storm, maggot. The storm that wipes out the pathetic little thing you call your life. You're fucking dead, kid. I can be anywhere, anytime, and I can decompile you in over seven hundred ways, and that's just with my Model M. Not only am I extensively trained in EMACS, but I have access to the entire arsenal of LISP functions and I will use it to its full extent to wipe your miserable ass off the face of the continent, you little shit. If only you could have known what unholy retribution your little "clever" comment was about to bring down upon you, maybe you would have held your fucking tongue. But you couldn't, you didn't, and now you're paying the price, you goddamn idiot. I will shit Freedom all over you and you will drown in it. You're fucking debugged, kiddo.

• All our splendour bathed black in silence
    Our surrender a sombre reverie

Slowly drifting down into twilight
    Left to sifting through faded memories

Know our places, for worth is wordless
    Evanescent, this writing on the wall

Brother stay this descent to madness
    Come and save us. Catch us before we fall

Like broken angels, wingless, cast from heavens' gates
    (Our slumb'ring demons awake)

We only fly when falling, falling far from grace
    (Hell take us, heaven can wait)

Our lives a message in a bottle cast to sea
    (Disgrace untold and unseen)

Quick to their ends, our candles burn until we're free

In monochrome melodies
    Our tears are painted in red
    (Bleeding to the edge)
    Deep inside we're nothing more
    Than scions and sinners
    In the rain
    Do light and darkness fade

Yes, time circles endlessly
    The hands of fate trained ahead
    (Pointing to the edge)
    All things change, drawn to the flame
    To rise from the ashes.
    To begin
    We first must see the end

Rock of ages, we cast the first stone
    In our cages, we know not what we do

Indecision here at the crossroads
    Recognition, tomorrow's come too soon

Follow blindly like lambs to slaughter
    At the mercy of those who ply the sword

As our song wends dead underwater
    We're forgotten for now and evermore

Without a compass wand'ring lost in lies of faith
    (Faith slowly wasting away)

Only alive in fighting Death's amber embrace
    (Our hearts beat loud, unafraid)

On Hands and knees we pray to gods we've never seen
    (Come shadow, come follow me)

The final hour upon us, no more time to breathe

1gaah.png

•   Telesphoreo
    Que viens-tu de baragouiner à mon sujet, jeune paltoquet ? Sache que je fus le mousquetaire préféré de Sa Majesté, j'ai conduit de nombreux assauts sur les adorateurs de Calvin et j'ai estourbi plus de 300 chiens galeux de ta sorte. Je suis prompt à occire tous les hérétiques, et suis le meilleur arquebusier de toute la chrétienté. Tu n'es rien que de la panse de chien galeux pour moi. Je vais t'anéantir avec un zèle que le genre humain ignore encore, rappelle-toi ces satanés mots. Pensais-tu qu'une échappade furtive suffirait à me couper les bras ? Médite cela, foutriquet. Alors que nous parlons, j'informe mes correspondants dans tous les régiments de dragons qui peuplent la terre natale, et ton nom de baptême circule de bouche en bouche dans les plus sombres tavernes du royaume, si bien que tu ferais mieux de faire tes prières devant le sort infâme qui t'attend, sac à purin. Le sort qui anéantira le sale je ne sais quoi que tu appelles, avec outrecuidance, ta vie. Tu es déjà décédé, foutredieu. Je puis apparaître partout, n'importe quand, pour t'occire de sept cent manières différentes, sans même daigner enlever mes gants. Mortecouille, je suis plus qu'aguerri à couper les jarrets des marauds comme toi, et j'ai de surcroît tous les canons du royaume de France à ma disposition, et j'en ferai bon usage pour pulvériser ta carcasse de renégat et en débarrasser la couronne de France, nom d'un chien. Si seulement tu savais quelle divine rétribution ton petit commentaire de jean-foutre allait faire choir sur tes abattis, peut-être aurais-tu tourné sept fois la langue dans ton misérable gosier. Mais tu ne le pus, tu ne le fis, et tu en recueilles à présent l'effroyable moisson, triple buse. La fureur du ciel va pleuvoir sur ton enveloppe terrestre, et tu t'y noieras sans échappatoire. Tu vas rejoindre le Père Eternel, cornichon.

A fool's fool fools fools who foolishly accept the foolishness of a fool's fool.

• [Intro: Tyler, The Creator & Lil Uzi Vert]
    What? What? What? What? What? What? What? What? What? What?
    Uh!
    Runnin', runnin’, runnin', runnin'
    Uh!
    Heaven, heaven (Ooh)
    He’s coming

[Chorus: Lil Uzi Vert]
    Ridin' 'round town, they gon' feel this one
    Ridin' ’round town, they gon’ feel this one
    Ridin', ridin’ 'round town, they gon' feel this one
    Got my, got my, got my, got my eyes open
    Got my, got my, got my eyes open
    Got my, got my, got my, got my eyes open
    Got my eyes open
    [Bridge: Tyler, The Creator & Lil Uzi Vert]
    Oh, yeah (What?)
    Oh-oh-oh, yeah
    He's comin’
    Runnin', runnin', runnin', runnin', runnin', runnin'
    He's comin'

[Chorus: Lil Uzi Vert & Solange, Lil Uzi Vert & Solange]
    Ridin' 'round town, they gon' feel this one (They gon' feel this one)
    Ridin' 'round town, they gon' feel (They gon' feel this one)
    Ridin', ridin' 'round town, they gon' feel this one, oh
    (Got my eyes open)
    I'm ridin', I'm ridin'
    (Got my, got my, got my eyes open)
    Oh, yeah
    (Got my, got my eyes open)
    I'm ridin', I'm ridin', yeah, I'm
    (Got my, got my, got my, got my eyes)
    Igor

[Interlude: Lil Uzi Vert & Tyler, The Creator]
    What?
    Down, down, down, down, down
    Down, down, down, down
    Down, down
    Dow-dow-dow-dow-dow-dow-dow-dow-
    What?
    Yeah, ho
    Yeah, ho
    Yeah, ho
    Yeah, ho (What?)
    Yeah, ho
    What, what, what?
    Got my eyes open
    Got my, got my, got my eyes open
    Runnin', runnin', runnin'
    Got my eyes open
    [Outro: Lil Uzi Vert]
    Wha-wha-wha-wha-wha-wha-what?
    What? What?
    What? What?
    Got my, got my, got my, got my, got my, got my, got my, got my
    What? What? What? What?