WoltLab Forum Migration - Feedback

• @'Ryan' I'm pretty sure there are places where this behaviour and less is bannable. We're more tolerant than many claim.

@' 5 ' i don’t want to be remembered when i leave TF

Sir this is the internet, the more you ask to be forgotten, the more interesting you become.

TotalFreedom's Executive Community & Marketing Manager

@' 5 ' my deletions have never been and never will be malicious in any way. i would appreciate your confirmation that you will honor deletions made in good faith, and not because you subjectively think the deleted content is interesting. TF is small, and few members, if any, use edits or deletions dishonestly. with a light amount of skepticism, it should be safe to err on the side of believing edits and deletions were not malicious.

I'm absolutely not saying yours specifically have been malicious. The difficulty is it interferes with the history and flow of the thread. It's why my view very much is that if people want to be forgotten / not have content attributed to them long term a clean delete of the post without editing (so at least forum mods / admins can see what it used to say) or just deleting you entire forum account is preferable.

I have no desire to stop people deleting content but we will be able to call it out better on woltlab where content that is removed will have an edit history so we can see what it said when it was first posted and for people that are doing this with the intent of changing the narrative we can course correct it.

I have no issue with you or anyone deleting content on flarum but I'd suggest for the sake of making mine and the forum staff life easier ceasing the edit before delete would be nice. But I get you may not want to so just be aware on some threads your thoughts and comments may not be taken into account if we don't review the post for days - weeks later.

Wild1145

Network Owner at TotalFreedom

Managing Director at ATLAS Media Group Ltd.

Founder & Owner at MastodonApp.UK

• Also a huge feature lacking from Flarum was anything GDPR related - If I wanted all my data to be deleted or if I wanted to access a full copy of my data, I would need to contact wild1145 via email and make a formal request. Is this process streamlined in woltlab? (Just buttons in the settings?)

A fool's fool fools fools who foolishly accept the foolishness of a fool's fool.

@' 5 ' and try to be less creepy and obvious about it

I'm not interested in teasing random internet surfers for the lulz. I'm just remarking how human psychology works and is amplified online, which is beyond my control. See Streisand effect.

• The test forums are updated with the new importer and a number of issues have now been fixed. If people could start reviewing the content available there to see if it looks right, I would appreciate it. I'm going to be getting content sorted throughout today.

Wild1145

@'Ryan' It looks like flarum doesn’t have a consistent approach to tagging / replies

Now that I think of it, they've changed at some point after an update, explaining the inconsistency between old and new threads.

• Just to update folks, the new release of Woltlab is now out, I'm having some challenges installing it so have reached out to their support team to find out more about the issue, once we get to the bottom of the issue we'll do one hopefully final cut to hash any issues out, and then we'll look to do the full migration. I'm expecting we'll now be off of Flarum within the next 6 weeks.

Wild1145

• To update, the forum is now back up and running and as before, migrated data is going to be read-only. I'm planning to move over all of the threads this time.

Given they've now released the Flarum importer, unless there is anything absolutely show-stopper level (The above mention stuff I decided wasn't and we were too late to report) then we'll look to be moving in the coming weeks.

Unlike before, I have also created a new board at the very bottom of the forums for existing members here to be able to create threads and posts on to start to get used to Woltlab. The forums haven't had any real fine-tuned configuration so a lot of stuff might not work quite as expected, the current priority is getting all the content moved over for further review and testing.

Wild1145

• wild1145 July 17, 2022 at 4:07 PM

Closed the thread.