elon musk bought twitter

Please Note: The TotalFreedom Forum has now been put into a read-only mode. Total Freedom has now closed down and will not be returning in any way, shape or form. It has been a pleasure to lead this community and I wish you all the best for your futures.

@'Miasmus.' Could be reading this wrong,

You did not read that wrong, he paid that in cash.

He definitely had that much at hand (maybe he had to liquidate a few assets but at the end of the day he was able to so it doesn’t matter).

That is an incredible amount of money, and it definitely could have been used for the benefit of society. That being said, if Elon does not want to do that, do you think he should be forced? Not saying that’s what you’re arguing for, just interested.

Edit - Did some research, and Elon does not have 21 billion cash to hand. People are still speculating how exactly he will acquire this money. The general consensus is that he will bring in outside investors. The point is moot.

•   RedEastWood In order to prevent my brain turning to mush arguing philosophy and all that fun stuff I'll leave it at this:

I don't think he should be forced but definitely be strongly encouraged. I think withholding the wealth is morally wrong, but forcing him to give it away might be as well. Generally though, (imo) property rights shouldn't be able to be upheld if they can inhibit major improvements which benefit a large amount of people.

• I also believe that the current climate of American economy should be examined as well. I can't say I'm an expert but there's clearly something wrong with how things are run when we have this many homeless/starving people, along with some other issues.

• This doesn't really affect me that much. I'm just excited for all the drama and surprises. He definitely makes a lot of impulsive decisions so that'll be interesting. I don't think Twitter can get any worse than it already is so I say let him give it a shot.

• This tweet pretty much sums up my entire viewpoint on this.

Musk is not an individual I admire too much, but he is not much different to the multibillionaires who own every other big company out there.

Whether we like it or not, nobody that rich is anywhere near perfect.

Patrolling the Mojave almost makes you wish for a nuclear winter.

•   RedEastWood

My overall point is that your alluding to my inability to decide my taxes is the same as Elon’s inability to choose what to do with his money is not a good comparison.

You didn't substantiate this point in your above paragraph. Whether Musk thinks his money benefits him via taxation or not is irrelevant - he doesn't get to decide that, and nor do you.

Elon’s wealth is not comparable because if he did choose to give money away, it would not benefit him at all. He doesn’t owe anyone anything at the end of the day

Regardless if Musk owns any physical assets (in which he certainly does), he still benefits from a well-functioning society funded via taxation. It's true that in a progressive system, you might reach a point in your income/wealth where the ratio of "cost vs. gain" is tipped towards cost. This however neglects to mention that this whole argument in substance is saying: "You should only pay taxes as long as it directly benefits you" - which I would assume that you agree is a nonsensical take.

@'Miasmus.'

Good point. I can agree that 50% is pretty ludicrous when not only including liquid assets, however I have also noticed that Elon reportedly payed himself for part of the Twitter share - 21 billion dollars. Could be reading this wrong, but wouldn’t this mean he has at least that much money available immediately, and most likely much more which he could use for charity? Maybe my requirements were a bit absurd, but I think my point still stands, especially because IMO companies are less important that helping a lot of people, although this could be debated depending on what the company does.

I think it's worrisome to expect wealthy people to give to charity. Yes they could, but a far easier option is to simply tax them

It's not a crime to be rich, and it shouldn't be looked down upon, otherwise won't have any innovation. And the fastest way to eradicating poverty is via innovation, not charity (see last 200 years of history)

Society simply need enough money to feed the poor and have institutions running.

@'Miasmus.'

property rights shouldn’t be able to be upheld if they can inhibit major improvements which benefit a large amount of people.

Your rights shouldn't be removed because others have it worse than you.