A better way to handle minecart/entity spam

• Just gonna kinda spitball a couple of ideas that I thought up real quick:

1. Clear all entities when the server first starts, that way if a crash did occur due to minecarts it will only crash the server once, not lock it down until an administrator clears every entity.
    2. Modify the entity limiter to work dynamically; meaning it should limit the amount of entities per world/chunk/globally to a certain amount (configurable). If that limit is exceeded, then either do not allow any more entities to be spawned, begin deleting the oldest entities on the server first to make room for the newer ones, or just purge every single entity.
    3. Only allow something around twenty minecarts to be placed by one player, or;
    4. Disable minecarts entirely. Really don't want to see that happen but if push comes to shove then I guess it has to happen.

If anyone has any interesting ideas or feedback, please share them with me.

ピバラ。

• vouch
    I
    V

Deauthorized Clear all entities when the server first starts, that way if a crash did occur due to minecarts it will only crash the server once, not lock it down until an administrator clears every entity.
    Modify the entity limiter to work dynamically; meaning it should limit the amount of entities per world/chunk/globally to a certain amount (configurable). If that limit is exceeded, then either do not allow any more entities to be spawned, begin deleting the oldest entities on the server first to make room for the newer ones, or just purge every single entity.

Object
    I
    V

Deauthorized Only allow something around twenty minecarts to be placed by one player, or;
    Disable minecarts entirely. Really don’t want to see that happen but if push comes to shove then I guess it has to happen.

•   Hooke_ I agree with this tbh, the last two were what l'd call more simple fixes due to the lack of developers the server has, but were kinda more restrictive.

The better ones might be either the first one since it's a pretty good mix between effective and simple and the last one would be just an improvement to the entity limiter in general.

Idk what interval the entity limiter runs on but you can still crash the server with minecarts in between the entity wipes.

ピバラ。

• Ok so I'm a little embarrassed by just remembering today, but there is a /toggle minecarts command.

I have thought of a way using this command to try and reduce the chances of repeated minecart related attacks on the server. Unfortunately this will likely not affect any initial attack or attempt at crashing the server, but it will hopefully be a big part in ensuring the incidents are more isolated.

Once an attack has been made and sorted out, a staff member on the server will disable minecarts. This will prevent all sources of placing new minecarts, but will not affect the functionality of minecarts already placed. The disabling of the minecarts will hopefully last no longer than 60 minutes, before they are re-enabled again. Hopefully, this idea will reduce the number of repeated incidents - if the initial attacker jumped on an alt after their ban, they will find themselves unable to repeat the offence and will likely get bored and give up before too long. These folks are not known for patience. Staff members will be encouraged to use their own judgement as much as possible when it comes to the lengths of the toggle, but it should never be for too long.

I cannot comment on any of the development related suggestions raised in this thread, but right now this is currently the best I can come up with.

Patrolling the Mojave almost makes you wish for a nuclear winter.

• Any “solution” that eliminates a feature of the game is not a solution because it handicaps the server, especially with the motto of this place in mind as a creative free build server.

There is no need to restrict parts of the game or a player’s experience because Big Brother isn’t online to moderate us. If something goes wrong the server can be restarted.

Minecraft has had a long history of being a game with performance issues. You’re never going to have a server that is lag-free, just like you can never have a website with iron clad security (new vulnerabilities will be discovered) and if you have to remove parts of the game or take away privileges in order to try and mimic something you’re never going to have you’ll only disappoint players.

Also, before anyone tells me that entities overloading servers if spammed cannot be compared to a vulnerability: you’re wrong. The people who spam Minecarts are just taking advantage of some very real memory issues that exist in the Java Edition.

•   Fleek There's already a /toggle command that disables minecarts from what I know, only problem is that it JUST disabled minecarts, not any other type. So it was essentially useless.

Limiting the amount of entities per chunk or world was what I felt would work best in the first place, but due to the lack of developers and how complex such a feature seemed I felt like at the time some other kind of solution would work better, such as clearing server entities on restart.

Overall, I agree with what you said, especially about only blocking what are essentially features of the game unless it's absolutely necessary.

ピバラ。

Deauthorized Limiting the amount of entities per chunk or world was what I felt would work best in the first place, but due to the lack of developers and how complex such a feature seemed I felt like at the time some other kind of solution would work better, such as clearing server entities on restart.

It's not complex, I can implement it, but it would have to wait until next week when I am home.

• Clear all entities when the server first starts, that way if a crash did occur due to minecarts it will only crash the server once, not lock it down until an administrator clears every entity.

Approved - https://totalfreedom.atlassian.net/browse/FS-453

Modify the entity limiter to work dynamically; meaning it should limit the amount of entities per world/chunk/globally to a certain amount (configurable). If that limit is exceeded, then either do not allow any more entities to be spawned, begin deleting the oldest entities on the server first to make room for the newer ones, or just purge every single entity.
    Only allow something around twenty minecarts to be placed by one player, or;
    Disable minecarts entirely. Really don't want to see that happen but if push comes to shove then I guess it has to happen.

Denied based on feedback.

Wild1145

Network Owner at TotalFreedom

Managing Director at ATLAS Media Group Ltd.

Founder & Owner at MastodonApp.UK

• wild1145 September 17, 2022 at 9:24 PM

Closed the thread.