I have been Discord banned.

Please Note: The TotalFreedom Forum has now been put into a read-only mode. Total Freedom has now closed down and will not be returning in any way, shape or form. It has been a pleasure to lead this community and I wish you all the best for your futures.
  • I implore you to read all of this, as this may be my last post on this platform.

The new rules

Ryan's latest thread outlines the new actions the Discord staffing team will be taking, and it is a punitive method of alienating this entire community. Essentially, if you made your Discord account before the age of 13, you are at risk of having it banned.

That in itself is ridiculous, for reasons obvious to the many TF members I have spoken to. Discord's TOS (shown here), state that in order to use the platform, users must be over the age of 13. The platform is defined as the Discord Application. Nowhere in the TOS does it state that an account created before a user turned 13 will have any repercussions, but I assumed Ryan to be a smart enough man to actually have some evidence of this happening, so I got to researching.

I found mixed responses, but the one I found that prevailed the most was that Discord will actually freeze accounts that are made before the age of 13, and subsequently unfreeze them after the user has turned 13. This leads me to believe that there aren't any real legal implications to an account being made when it was underage, and now using it when you are of age.

Regardless of this though, my account was actually not made when I was underage. My account was made in 2019.

https://videogamesm12.me/Z9SOWhXx5tUw.png

What I actually did

https://media.discordapp.net/attachments/90…876/unknown.png

That's it. That's what I did. I am now indefinitely banned, and have to make a new Discord account.

Ryan's next moves

After my ban, I brought this issue up with Ryan privately. He obviously knew I was joking, but he is now claiming that my joke is reason enough for him to properly indefinitely ban me from the Discord. I will not argue this, but rather accept it - but on my own terms.

Ryan yelled at me for not reading the original thread. I can assure you I did. Here's the thing though,

Ryan did not at all make it clear on his original post that those who joke about their Discord being made prior to their 13th birthday will be banned

Ryan told me that the main reason for my ban is that I made the joke, and he also assured me that he would not actively seek out individuals to ban for this rule.

That confused me, I did not recall reading about this in his thread. Ryan assured me that my ban was perfectly valid, and that he had in fact clarified it on the thread he made. This is simply not true. Nowhere in Ryan's original thread did it state that those who joke about their account will be immediately banned. Nowhere. It was stated many posts down, in response to Tizz.

I am quite busy around this time, so upon new rules being added, I only read the main post about them - surely that's all I need to read right? Clearly not, Ryan was not competent enough to put this amendment in the original thread, but rather in response to Tizz 15 posts down.

After my ban, Ryan edited his original post to add this crucial information in. He did this after I was banned, almost as if he knew I would attack this point.

Ryan's changes after my ban

Following my ban, I inquired about an unban. I was told that there wasn't even a way for me to submit my official documents, and that I would have to remain banned and wait until there was.

I was then informed that there was now no way to do that. My account was permanently banned, and the only way to potential unban myself would be to make a new discord account and appeal for that. This is horseshit. Ryan now expects me to have an entirely separate Discord account for TF?

@'Ryan' Again, people seem to be blowing this quite a bit out of scale

You blew this out of scale when you banned me for making a joke. You further pissed me off and made yourself look bad when you yelled at me for not reading the original post, when the information you were citing wasn't even on the official post, but rather 15 replies down.

I have scoured the TOS, and the only instances of an age restriction are for using the service, not signing up to it.

@'Ryan' Your account shouldn’t exist if you created it prior to being 13.

Discord freezes underage accounts. It unfreezes them when you turn 13. You should research before you make rules like this. This action by discord quite clearly shows you that it is okay to have an account made before 13.

I have no definitive idea of how my unban appeal will look like. Ryan has told me that I will need to create a whole separate account for this Discord server. All of this because of a joke I made, that wasn't even explicitly warned against in Ryan's original post.

I am already expecting Ryan to move this to "Off-Topic" and blatantly ignore this. He ignored everyone's opinion on this thread, even expressing how grateful he is that he didn't have to see the thread.

@'FT ' if anyone was hoping for ryan’s response, here it is:

source: #freedom-01-server-chat, unprompted

I am not interested in arguing with you Ryan. I am making this post for the community to see what has become of this server, where a staff member who has been part of this community for half a decade and has contributed relentlessly gets banned for a joke. I am sure that Nick will chime in here with his authoritarian stance too, I am uninterested in arguing with you either; for the sole reason that many players on this server have expressed grievances to you in a previous thread which you both ignored.

RedEastWood What I actually did

That’s it. That’s what I did. I am now indefinitely banned, and have to make a new Discord account.

Not quite everything though was it, you had said this two times that I'd seen, and made it quite clear on both occasions you had done so. As I said in my original thread, we have removed the exception for accounts being unbanned when the user becomes 13 because the community didn't like the fact we wanted to prove they were 13 or older in a meaningful way. There was nothing to indicate it was a joke, but everything to suggest you were doing this knowing fully well I'd have to ban you, or look like I was only selectively enforcing the rules.

RedEastWood He obviously knew I was joking

I didn't, I took you at your word on both the occasions you posted it in chat:

I had no reason to doubt that was true, and frankly I expected it to be true and that you were waiting for me to either ban you and you could create this thread, or for me to ignore it both times and for you to claim I was biased in my bans. I banned you because you stated (Twice) you violated the Discord TOS, which is an indef bannable offence.

RedEastWood Ryan did not at all make it clear on his original post that those who joke about their Discord being made prior to their 13th birthday will be banned

While it was not explicitly clear (And I acknowledged that) we did make clear that we would be removing any exceptions to failing to follow the Discord TOS. I added additional clarity in response to later questions that came up, but the change in our policy was simple, we removed this line from our Discord rules under the Section 2 non-indef bans:

Any users who are not currently eligible to be an active member of the Discord community as a result of the Discord Terms & Conditions. The ban may be revoked when the member is eligible to once again be part of the community.

RedEastWood I am quite busy around this time, so upon new rules being added, I only read the main post about them - surely that’s all I need to read right? Clearly not, Ryan was not competent enough to put this amendment in the original thread, but rather in response to Tizz 15 posts down.

You did only need to read the original post, I clearly stated we were removing the exception to the Section 1 Indef Ban Offence for Discord TOS, and that's what I've done.

RedEastWood After my ban, Ryan edited his original post to add this crucial information in. He did this after I was banned, almost as if he knew I would attack this point.

Actually I did not. I edited the post to remove the ability to verify your age, because the in game community before your ban and after your ban were unhappy that we would want to properly verify someone's age in a meaningful way, and felt it too "Corporate". The demand was to do the same thing every other server does, which is to simply ban the account for violating the T&C's.

RedEastWood You blew this out of scale when you banned me for making a joke.

You again claim to have made this as a joke, it was not funny, had no punchline, and was not clearly a joke. As has been made clear on a lot of other threads, claiming it's a "Joke" to get our of a sanction, doesn't cut it. You as a senior admin should have known better of all people.

RedEastWood when the information you were citing wasn’t even on the official post, but rather 15 replies down.

No, additional clarity was 15 posts down, it did not in reality change the original post / scope of the original announcement.

RedEastWood Discord freezes underage accounts. It unfreezes them when you turn 13. You should research before you make rules like this. This action by discord quite clearly shows you that it is okay to have an account made before 13.

I've yet to see this in practice first hand, I have however seen a number of communities get shut down for allowing those under 13 in the Discord, and if you'd bothered to have taken the time to read the thread or have a sensible conversation before jumping in as a martyr. My concern is protecting the Discord community, and unfortunately we're bound by their TOS which we have to follow, and both Nick's and my own role here is to protect it, so we will air on the side of caution.

RedEastWood I have no definitive idea of how my unban appeal will look like. Ryan has told me that I will need to create a whole separate account for this Discord server. All of this because of a joke I made, that wasn’t even explicitly warned against in Ryan’s original post.

If you can convince @"simplynick"#11 it was a joke and that you don't violate the Discord TOS, it's all good. Right now you've been banned for violating the Discord TOS.

RedEastWood e ignored everyone’s opinion on this thread, even expressing how grateful he is that he didn’t have to see the thread.

I have had that topic on mute for months, the thread was moved because Ivan, one of the threads original posters from when two threads that were identical were merged, decided to go on an off-topic rampage de-railing the thread. I thought the discussion was valuable up until that point, but once it went to off-topic, I stopped reading it as I do with nearly every thread in off topic once it devolves into drama / nonsense.

RedEastWood I am not interested in arguing with you Ryan. I am making this post for the community to see what has become of this server, where a staff member who has been part of this community for half a decade and has contributed relentlessly gets banned for a joke. I am sure that Nick will chime in here with his authoritarian stance too, I am uninterested in arguing with you either; for the sole reason that many players on this server have expressed grievances to you in a previous thread which you both ignored

I'm not arguing, I'm calling your points out where you have mislead the community. I've already told you that you can appeal if you genuinely believe it's a joke and can convince Nick of such, but I didn't see it as a joke, and I think you make a mockery out of the community as a senior admin thinking you can bypass a valid sanction by going "Lol jokes"

Wild1145

Network Owner at TotalFreedom

Managing Director at ATLAS Media Group Ltd.

Founder & Owner at MastodonApp.UK

@'Ryan' I had no reason to doubt that was true

A simple check of when my account was made is sufficient enough to know that I did not make this account when I was 13.

https://videogamesm12.me/Z9SOWhXx5tUw.png

What more do you want to unban me? Do you seriously want me to make an entirely new account just to access the TF discord? This is absurd.

@'Ryan' You again claim to have made this as a joke, it was not funny, had no punchline, and was not clearly a joke. As has been made clear on a lot of other threads, claiming it’s a “Joke” to get our of a sanction, doesn’t cut it. You as a senior admin should have known better of all people.

It is a joke because it is obviously not true, it is sarcasm. I am not going to debate whether or not it was a joke, but I don't see merit in you claiming that I said that fully seriously - but say you did, why am I now forced to make an entirely new account rather than just show you this account wasn't made before I was 13?

RedEastWood A simple check of when my account was made is sufficient enough to know that I did not make this account when I was 13.

As I said in the thread, and in Discord prior to you being banned, if you go "Yes, my account was created underage, you should ban me" we will...

RedEastWood What more do you want to unban me? Do you seriously want me to make an entirely new account just to access the TF forums? This is absurd.

I want you to convince @"simplynick"#11 it was a joke.

RedEastWood It is a joke because it is obviously not true, it is sarcasm. I am not going to debate whether or not it was a joke, but I don’t see merit in you claiming that I said that fully seriously - but say you did, why am I now forced to make an entirely new account rather than just show you this account wasn’t made before I was 13?

Wonderful, if only we all had been in on the joke, would have been so much more amusing.

Wild1145

•   RedEastWood Because you confessed to violating the TOS, that's enough to satisfy the burden of proof as far as I'm concerned. You now need to prove you clearly stating you violated the TOS was in fact a joke and satisfy the Discord Manager of that because that's the only way now you'll get unbanned.

Wild1145

@'dillon ' Jesus Christ stop corporatising everything it’s literally a discord server lol

I'm not. I'm doing the same thing every other Discord server does, ban people that say they're under 13. Explain to me how that's corporatising?

@'dillon ' As I said in my previous post, you’re pushing people away from the server, it’s dead as it is

My hands are tied, we tried having exceptions to the rule, people didn't like it, now we remove those exceptions to make the rules simpler and clearer people don't like it either.

As I said in game, I'm fucked if I do this, I'm fucked if I don't.

Wild1145

@'Ryan' I’m fucked if I don’t.

wouldn't be the first time that the discord server got deleted

discord explicitly states that servers will get deleted if the server takes no action
    we have already taken action and they have grown to be 13 so i don't see the issue of letting them back into the community a year after

y'all overdramatic as shit on both sides its a fucking minecraft server can we treat it as one? "i implore you to read this" "nothing to indicate it was a joke" my ass i'm getting wilee flashbacks

i'll look at the tos and discords statements because both arguments are in the right depending at how you look at discord's vague ass statements

•   RedEastWood I think it's hilarious, this was a long time coming, you were asking to be banned, what do you think is gonna happen if you go up to a stranger and tell them 'IM A PEDOPHILE, IM SERIOUS", this is the same error you made, with instead of what i quoted, you joking about your account being made before you were 13, I don't see why your complaining, you brought this on your self.

•   hapi I don't know about you but, he knew he was risking it, and you side with him for trying to get banned, which in my opinion is just trying to make it sound worse than it actually is, even if he is joking, he is still asking to be banned, and you encourage him for that?, That's hilarious, pity on the weak, who tore themselves down themselves, point is, Red asked to be banned, so he was banned! Simple as that! If Ryan doesn't want to unban him then he won't be unbanned, I personally don't care about what Ryan does as long as it doesn't effect me, under the context of TOS and proof, Red was correctly banned and this is completely justified.