Move back to ProBoards

• I'm not a fan of this, selfishly because im just used to flarum. Won't be voting on this, but I just don't feel we should be uprooting things all the time. I accept reasons both ways.

Patrolling the Mojave almost makes you wish for a nuclear winter.

• I'll clarify I'm ok with moving from Flarum but I disagree with going back to ProBoards and abiding to their own rules instead of self-hosting like now. Too bad WotLab's been put on the shelf.

TotalFreedom's Executive Community & Marketing Manager

• @'wxtermelon' this is the correct answer. I (for some reason) spent 3 days straight making it functionally very similar to Proboards. Obviously it ended up becoming a game of telephone each time the forums got reset and we strayed further and further from my concept and how it should have been done. Again wild is inaccurate as I never forced anyone to switch to anything. The message I was trying to send was that nothing was being done and I said "something CAN be done this is an example". My intention was even to actually use discourse initially as an example but after looking at the server requirements I was like wtf and went with flarum

characterslimits You only want to switch because of nostalgia.

I want to switch back because this forum has been incredibly unreliable for us, in contrast with ProBoards which has been known to be extremely reliable and has features built-in which aren't available on Flarum without installing dangerously insecure extensions. We literally had to spend a few days reinstalling this forum software at some point because the frontend somehow managed to kill itself, which crippled the entirety of the forum. This never happened on ProBoards. I'm not saying we should switch back for the nostalgia, I'm saying we should switch back because we have less features and more stability issues with Flarum than with ProBoards.

characterslimits Forced advertisements

Every website has this nowadays. It's what keeps ProBoards going for free.

characterslimits additionally it makes our community less child-friendly, kids will start accidently buying virtual items on the forum with real-life money as they don’t know the concept of money

We had been using ProBoards for nearly 8 years and not once did we have an incident like this, even when most of the forum's userbase was under the age of 18. Kids can be stupid, but they have common sense too.

In the long term, ProBoards is actually beneficial to us because it introduces a third party who maintains the forum for us, so in case something happens with Ryan, we aren't utterly fucked. It's literally what saved our asses when Windows vanished back in 2018/2019.

image.png

videogamesm12 We literally had to spend a few days reinstalling this forum software at some point because the frontend somehow managed to kill itself

We haven't had to do that fwiw... It's been suggested but we haven't iirc.

videogamesm12 Every website has this nowadays.

We dont' here...

videogamesm12 so in case something happens with Ryan, we aren’t utterly fucked

The difference now is I own and pay for the domain, so if something does happen to me, you've got bigger problems...

Wild1145

Network Owner at TotalFreedom

Managing Director at ATLAS Media Group Ltd.

Founder & Owner at MastodonApp.UK

• Objection, to put it simply, At this point it would be more hassle than it’s worth to fully return to proboards, and, as Ryan detailed in his thread about the future of the server, we will likely be moving away from flarum at some point. I do miss the proboards forum, but at this point it’s just not worth it to switch back

• Denied.

Proboards isn't honestly a piece of software I intend to go back to, there are a lot better alternatives out there that don't lock us into restrictions that Proboards force us to follow.

There is work as I say scoped in this year to look to move off of Flarum, so you'll have to wait for that to be concluded.

Wild1145

Network Owner at TotalFreedom

Managing Director at ATLAS Media Group Ltd.

Founder & Owner at MastodonApp.UK