Ridiculous inconsistencies/settings in Windows

Please Note: The TotalFreedom Forum has now been put into a read-only mode. Total Freedom has now closed down and will not be returning in any way, shape or form. It has been a pleasure to lead this community and I wish you all the best for your futures.
  • @'r00t' You can't on any of the Win 10 ISO's created in the last couple of years. Even the Pro install will force you to use a Microsoft account unless it's not connected to the internet.

Even domain joining is a bit of a pain but there are ways of doing it in the setup steps, but at least every time I've tried over the last couple of years (Including only a few weeks back doing a Fresh Win 10 install for my parents) I had to pull the network cable physically from the machine before I could create an offline non-Microsoft account.

Wild1145

Network Owner at TotalFreedom

Managing Director at ATLAS Media Group Ltd.

Founder & Owner at MastodonApp.UK

• Since we’re all talking about the setup and Internet, I would like to mention that not using a wired Ethernet connection and selecting “I don’t have Internet” will reboot the machine, whilst meeting one of the previously mentioned requirements (and therefore having Internet) will allow the setup to continue without a reboot.

• So I recently upgraded to Windows 11. After debloating the hell out of it and using group policy to basically disable the entire microsoft store, I am left with a bloat free system.

Getting rid of "Get Started" is literally impossible for some reason.

To Microsoft's credit, they did make the settings to modify DNS something from the 21st century

Aside from the oversized titles, the new settings app is much better looking and organized.

I ended up turning off the new explorer since the new buttons are pretty useless. I can't understand what a bunch of icons that all look the same mean. This way is much better

Telesphoreo So I recently upgraded to Windows 11. After debloating the hell out of it and using group policy to basically disable the entire microsoft store, I am left with a bloat free system.

I always wondered what happened if you uninstalled the Microsoft Store. Does “disable” count as “uninstall”?

Telesphoreo Getting rid of “Get Started” is literally impossible for some reason.

Must be one of the perks of using an uninstaller tool to uninstall programs for you, because using Uninstall Tool leaves no trace of Get Started ever existing.

Telesphoreo To Microsoft’s credit, they did make the settings to modify DNS something from the 21st century

It also took them quite a while, which is proof that Microsoft is lazy.

Telesphoreo Aside from the oversized titles, the new settings app is much better looking and organized

That’s because they stole it from the Linux community (specifically the KDE Plasma desktop environment).

Telesphoreo I ended up turning off the new explorer since the new buttons are pretty useless. I can’t understand what a bunch of icons that all look the same mean. This way is much better

I think the Windows 10 Ribbon had more features.

@'r00t' I always wondered what happened if you uninstalled the Microsoft Store. Does “disable” count as “uninstall”?

I did both. I disabled it in GPO and uninstalled the actual application. Disabled will keep the application but you cannot do anything with it.

@'r00t' It also took them quite a while, which is proof that Microsoft is lazy.

I don't really agree with this way of thinking. At least Microsoft is trying in areas where backwards compatibility won't outright be broken.

@'r00t' That’s because they stole it from the Linux community (specifically the KDE Plasma desktop environment).

And this is a bad thing? It's a major improvement whether they came up with the entire design from scratch or took inspiration. The way Microsoft did it in 10 was unlike pretty much every other settings app so I'm glad it's finally normal in some sense.

@'r00t' I think the Windows 10 Ribbon had more features.

It's never looked good and I've never really used the ribbon. I think this way is actually even better than the ribbon because it has exactly what I need in a compact but readable manner (although what I've linked is not the default interface)

@'r00t' I always wondered what happened if you uninstalled the Microsoft Store. Does “disable” count as “uninstall”?

You can install and uninstall the Microsoft Store if you're running an LTSC version of Windows 10.

@'r00t' It also took them quite a while, which is proof that Microsoft is lazy.

You're right that took them a while to make the change, but that does not necessarily mean they're "lazy". Microsoft heavily focuses on backwards compatibility (arguably why Windows is still relevant), so it's entirely possible that they're just being very cautious when it comes to updating older components to avoid breaking older applications/components. They could totally rewrite many components from scratch, but a change like that could break so many things that in their eyes it may just make more sense to maintain what they have already than to risk breaking legacy applications. With that being said, it is still ridiculous how inconsistent things still are.

@'r00t' That’s because they stole it from the Linux community (specifically the KDE Plasma desktop environment).

Both sides are guilty of "borrowing" designs.

@'r00t' I think the Windows 10 Ribbon had more features.

It may have more features, but it was the jack of all trades and a master of none. The design present in Windows 7 (which was similar to what Packs posted) was much more productive because it didn't take mental gymnastics just to find what you were looking for.

image.png

• @'r00t' I cannot lie but everything about that looks like garbage. If you're saying that's what Microsoft copied, I disagree except for the colored folders and Microsoft did a better job at making them look good. That screenshot looks a mockup made on a knockoff Photoshop

•   Telesphoreo Local NAS devices? I'm pretty sure there should be a way to do that without additional software, but if there isn't then I'd highly recommend a piece of software called rclone, you can mount cloud storage drives with that so I'd also assume there'd be a way with that to get local NAS devices hooked up. I use rclone in conjunction with nircmd to auto-mount my MEGA.nz cloud drive on boot.