Add the private message extension

• ive seen tons of people complaining that flarum doesnt have private messaging, so i dont see why this wouldnt be added

[vote redacted]
    changing to object since apparently every time it gets added something gets fucked

2021-09-26_17.01.50.png

• As video said, I have attempted to add the flarum recommended addon for private messaging and it failed every time.

I'm not inclined to put more work into this issue given how many hours have been spent to date trying to resolve this.

Wild1145

Network Owner at TotalFreedom

Managing Director at ATLAS Media Group Ltd.

Founder & Owner at MastodonApp.UK

• iirc, last time this extension was used it had broken some stuff and when the extension was removed, every forum PM was publicly visible due to how said extension worked.

i might be misremembering part of that, but i do know that removing/disabling it made PMs visible to everyone..

1gaah.png

Tizz and move to any other platform

We started, it got pulled when we started to just not have a player-base any more. It's something I want to re-visit next year, but given it's not a simple / quick thing, we do realistically also need to see an increase in the general community to really justify any significant effort being put in. But that is a different issue.

Wild1145

characterslimits Ryan I don’t know what you’re doing wrong, but it works fine on my Flarum localhost server.

I ran the like 2 lines to add the extension, it crashed Flarum. Remember, we originally installed Flarum as an early beta, and it's been flaky as all fuck since.

Wild1145

characterslimits Why is this?

Because it's been a horrifically buggy experience for us since the start... The beta versions were not reliable and made upgrades so painful, and upgrading out of beta to the mainline release was a pain as well. It's been a horrific experience, and it is one of the most difficult pieces of software to upgrade I've had the misfortune of dealing with. It gives no route to automatically upgrade add-ons (Which you have to install if you want a functional forum suite) in line with the base software, so you have to lock the forums down, disable all the add-ons, upgrade Flarum, then prey to whatever god you worship that the plugins have been updated and will work with it, and when you upgrade all the plugins and enable them and flarum crashes, you spend a few hours disabling them all and re-enabling them one by one to figure out what's crashed or what combination has, because it has no decent debugging tools.

Wild1145

characterslimits it works fine on my Flarum localhost server

I believe you don't have noticeable issues with your simple setup. But that doesn't mean this will be true for a more complex environment with more needs, like different ranks with different clearance levels.

TotalFreedom's Executive Community & Marketing Manager

characterslimits I don’t know what you’re doing wrong, but it works fine on my Flarum localhost server.

just a reminder that, that's mostly because you're running it locally, on your own -- not in a production environment with more than one person actively using it.

most bugs/problems tend to not show they're face in development environments..

1gaah.png

• Whisper is the "Official" plugin for Flarum, and seems to be one gaping security mess. Given the state of their official plugin and other 3rd party ones before, I'm not going to entertain adding one where I'm not actually convinced anything remotely private will be enforced.

https://discuss.flarum.org/d/28256-whispe…te-messaging/70 also for reference.

Wild1145