Finally, a good printer

Please Note: The TotalFreedom Forum has now been put into a read-only mode. Total Freedom has now closed down and will not be returning in any way, shape or form. It has been a pleasure to lead this community and I wish you all the best for your futures.
  • Epson ET-4760. It was honestly (really) expensive and the build quality isn't great. But I've definitely seen worse from HP so it's not the worst. It basically has bottles of ink that you fill up inside the printer. You can actually see how much ink is in there compared to an ink cartridge where you're relying on software which is probably lying. The only actual complaint is that it does print a little slower than an inkjet. I've also had some network issues with it that could only be fixed by unplugging it. Things improved after I installed the official driver from Epson rather than using AirPrint. It still prints much slower than an inkjet though. But the ink is so damn cheap. You can get 4 bottles of ink (all colors and black) for $50 compared to the $40 I would pay for one ink cartridge. I did some math and the cost of owning it is almost the same as a color laser printer which was my other choice. The problem was that it was a lot bigger and heavier. But also, the upfront cost of toner is a lot more. You have to replace your toner a lot less, but when you do it's really expensive. The cost difference after like 35,000 pages is only around $20 between a color laser printer and this.

I saw a lot of people were complaining about clogged printheads and if you don't print every day or two you're gonna waste ink unclogging it. Well I've gone two weeks without printing and it was fine. Of course if you don't use it for eight months the ink will dry out. Our old Epson printer is coming up on five years old now (it's an inkjet) and aside from the ink cost that printer has been very reliable.

New Epson ink vs print stats

So yeah the ink has barely drained so far. The ink on our old printer drains like crazy. Only after like 10 pages was the black and magenta already halved.

Old Epson stats (ink has been changed so many damn times)

So yeah I highly recommend the Epson ET-4760. It's a really good printer that goes against the bullshit HP printers (and all inkjets really) that suck up ink so damn fast. I don't usually post these kinds of things unless I really like it or really hate it (cough UniFi)

• Another thing, what about the drivers in regards to quality? Do they come with unneeded bloat or are they ultra bareboned and just allow you to do the things you bought the printer for? That is my ultimate deal breaker becaise even though the printer may be good, I do not need useless software advertising an ink subscription every time I print a report. (Sadly, as an HP printer user, both shitty printers and drivers are the norm
    .)

javaw_VqNRNZdU6Q.png
    image.png
    image.png

• @Alco_Rs11#18923 There is an option for both. You can do a combo download which has the drivers and bloat. Right below there is an option to download each package individually so you can just download the drivers for copy/scan/fax. I downloaded the event manager or whatever. All that does is allow you to scan from the printer to the computer. There really isn't any "bloat" per se except for the scanner. There are (for some reason) two scanner apps but you are not required to use them. I either scan from the printer to my computer or if I'm doing it on my computer use the built in one from Apple (works with the drivers automatically)

• @Alco_Rs11#19358 These are the two drivers I used

The scan driver actually does come with the Scan app, my mistake. However, to my knowledge, Windows doesn't come with one built in and HP Smart is actual garbage so I guess it's good they included it for an average user.

I also installed Event Manager (as above it lets you scan from the printer to the computer) and the Software Update tool to keep the drivers up to date (no, you do not have to install the software update tool)

This is all that appears in the EPSON folder

The reason there are two scans is because the old printer uses Scan and the new printer uses Scan 2.

You can also turn off automatic updates entirely

In total this is what I have for both Epson printers