Fix VP, please!

Please Note: The TotalFreedom Forum has now been put into a read-only mode. Total Freedom has now closed down and will not be returning in any way, shape or form. It has been a pleasure to lead this community and I wish you all the best for your futures.
  • idk where to put this in the forum guess ill put it here
    btw this was taken from an ingame book i made, admin told me to make a thread
    (Page 1)
    VP (Vulnerbility Patcher) is a plugin that patches malicious nbt, such as bookbans.
    But... it isn't used for just what it's name suggests.
    It thanos snaps perfectly fine items if they have certain properties.
    (Page 2)
    Here are a couple things VP ruins:

-HP limiters
    This is INCREDIBLY annoying, both for minigame design and also people who are stuck at more than 20 hp,
    due to the admins disabling /attribute out of the blue.
    (Page 3)
    -Donation chests
    Imagine this: Someone has given you the best kit that exists in the game, before they leave the game for good.
    But OOPS! it has a large amount of nbt which is far from harmless! VP sees it passing through the hopper, and it thanos snaps all NBT, including the nbt of other items inside the chest.
    Very annoying!
    (Page 4)
    VP has many other restrictions for item makers to get screwed up with.
    VP should only be used to patch BOOKBANS. And bookbans EXCLUSIVELY.
    Person using creative mode kill pots?
    Just smite him! You shouldn't drain the fun from a server to streamline moderation.
    (Page 5)
    tl;dr VP has unneeded restrictions, remove them.

FixVP

(article written by SuperRyn from the Server Restoration Committee,)
    extra info:
    some people might notice that this is a bit different than the original book and quill article, this is just because i wanted to revise it. oh yeah introduction to the src guild will be posted here soon

• Vouch provided extensive testing is done beforehand to ensure a good balance between blocking malicious data and allowing non malicious data.

Patrolling the Mojave almost makes you wish for a nuclear winter.

• Anything "snapped" should be for good reason. Fleek would be best placed to go into any further detail on this.

Wild1145

Network Owner at TotalFreedom

Managing Director at ATLAS Media Group Ltd.

Founder & Owner at MastodonApp.UK

• Even though VulnerabilityPatcher is much better than "just block the feature", you are correct that it still outright clears a lot of things instead of selectively removing the danger that it has detected. There is definitely improvement possible in that area.

@SuperRyn#18793 VP (Vulnerbility Patcher) is a plugin that patches malicious nbt, such as bookbans.
    But... it isn't used for just what it's name suggests.
    It thanos snaps perfectly fine items if they have certain properties.

I have a quite few people messaging me with the same issue but I keep finding malicious NBT data - Obviously, it shouldn't wipe everything if it is in a container or any other data that is not malicious (the code checks if the item data is similar then wipe, but I think it does not include NBT, will need to debug to confirm the suspicion)

@SuperRyn#18793 -HP limiters
    This is INCREDIBLY annoying, both for minigame design and also people who are stuck at more than 20 hp,
    due to the admins disabling /attribute out of the blue.

We are planning to implement our own version of /attribute which will be the same as the vanilla version but disallowing non-admins to set others' attributes. If the health attribute is dangerous, then VP will remove the NBT data. I will check what level it determines dangerous.

@SuperRyn#18793 Imagine this: Someone has given you the best kit that exists in the game, before they leave the game for good.
    But OOPS! it has a large amount of nbt which is far from harmless! VP sees it passing through the hopper, and it thanos snaps all NBT, including the nbt of other items inside the chest.
    Very annoying!

See my first paragraph.

@SuperRyn#18793 VP has many other restrictions for item makers to get screwed up with.
    VP should only be used to patch BOOKBANS. And bookbans EXCLUSIVELY.
    Person using creative mode kill pots?
    Just smite him! You shouldn't drain the fun from a server to streamline moderation.

VP patches many dangerous exploits, which is why TotalFreedom is still standing without being crashed every 5 minutes.

@SuperRyn#18793 tl;dr VP has unneeded restrictions, remove them.

Please clarify which restrictions are unneeded - I can investigate whether it's required to keep.

@StevenNL2000#18958 Even though VulnerabilityPatcher is much better than "just block the feature", you are correct that it still outright clears a lot of things instead of selectively removing the danger that it has detected. There is definitely improvement possible in that area.

Yeah, I haven't modified much with VP as it was originally created by CoolJWB - I have noticed few mistakes here and there. I will improve it when I have a chance to do so.

• @"SuperRyn"#105 Are you able to provide any answers to the reply @"Fleek"#188 made above?

Wild1145

Network Owner at TotalFreedom

Managing Director at ATLAS Media Group Ltd.

Founder & Owner at MastodonApp.UK