Favorite console?

Please Note: The TotalFreedom Forum has now been put into a read-only mode. Total Freedom has now closed down and will not be returning in any way, shape or form. It has been a pleasure to lead this community and I wish you all the best for your futures.
  • I cringe when people say an older X is the best of all time just because it’s older. There is like some kind of taboo against liking newer generation shit and I’m not having it my favourite console is the PS4 and you all can lick my balls

• For me, it has to be the Wii, and it's for many reasons.

When the system first came out, its introduction of motion controls in video game consoles was HUGE. The concept of being able to interact with the game by literally moving your controller really helped drive the immersion you got when playing certain games. Sony and Microsoft didn't really have that, but boy did they try with the PlayStation Move and the Kinect. Neither of them really caught on like how the Wii did.

It's also a fantastic system to kill time with when you're on the go. The Wii is a surprisingly small system compared to its competitors, and that means you can put it in a backpack along with whatever crap you're taking with you and not have to worry all that much about needing more space. Hell, I actually did that on multiple occasions and it worked flawlessly. The backwards compatibility with the GameCube meant that many great games on there carry over to the Wii too.

The Wii really did have this sweet spot of official backwards compatibility. When the Wii Shop Channel was still up, you could purchase and download various games for the NES, SNES, and even the N64. Since most models of the Wii have backwards compatibility with the GameCube out of the box, that makes the system a very attractive way to play some old classics all in one box. This is something that the Nintendo Switch still struggles with to this day.

It had a lot of awesome games too. Super Mario Galaxy has to be one of my top 10 favorite video games of all time, and is in my opinion one of Nintendo's best. The soundtrack in that game is absolutely fantastic, and the game still looks fantastic to this day (almost 14 years later). New Super Mario Bros. Wii was like a "return to roots" kind of game for the Mario series, and god damn was it fun. For the first time, you could play Super Mario Bros. with more than one person at a time. Mario Kart Wii was an absolute blast to play with my dad, and the game still lives on thanks to its modding community.

Finally, we have the homebrew. The Wii has a massive library of homebrew available for it. There are a bunch of useful tools available that range from booting games from a USB hard drive to customizing the hell out of your home menu with themes and custom channels. The main advantage the Wii has is how easy it is to hack. With the PlayStation 3 you have to jump through some additional hoops to allow homebrew to install, and with the Xbox 360 you have to jump through a ridiculous amount of hoops. With the Wii, all you have to do is stick some numbers into a website, download some files to an SD card, and click an explosive letter.

The Wii may not have been the most powerful when compared to its competitors, but it was (and still is) one hell of a console.

image.png