Is it wrong to accept fastfood delivery if the food was not meant for you?

Please Note: The TotalFreedom Forum has now been put into a read-only mode. Total Freedom has now closed down and will not be returning in any way, shape or form. It has been a pleasure to lead this community and I wish you all the best for your futures.
  •   Miwojedk From an organizational point of view, the restaurant bears the responsibility for the delivery driver's mistake. But the question wasn't if the delivery driver would be held responsible, but if it is wrong to accept the food, and as such I argue that you are likely to inflict more harm by accepting it than by declining it.

As for your second point, the person accepting the food should know it wasn't meant for them because they didn't order anything... If someone has for some reason sent you food without letting you know, the delivery driver will come back around after confirming that it was in fact the correct address.

The delivery driver leaving the food at your doorstep is not a comparable situation because you are not given the option to accept or decline it. If they do not want to pick it up again because it has gone cold, you had no hand in that chain of events.

•   StevenNL2000

The delivery driver leaving the food at your doorstep is not a comparable situation because you are not given the option to accept or decline it. If they do not want to pick it up again because it has gone cold, you had no hand in that chain of events.

What would you have the individual do in this instance, if anything? Should they just take the food, throw it out or try to contact the restaurant?

•   Miwojedk As you have said, the mistake is very likely to be noticed because the rightful recipient will complain, and the restaurant is very likely to decline having the cold food picked up again*. As such, contacting the restaurant very likely does not change the outcome of the situation, so I would not see that as a moral obligation, although it would show honesty. The fate of the food is then yours to decide since the other parties have no use for it.

* It should be noted that because of hygiene standards, this would also apply if the food was still hot but left the eye of the delivery driver.