Is it wrong to accept fastfood delivery if the food was not meant for you?

Please Note: The TotalFreedom Forum has now been put into a read-only mode. Total Freedom has now closed down and will not be returning in any way, shape or form. It has been a pleasure to lead this community and I wish you all the best for your futures.
  • Unless there's a serious issue, most of the time the person just knocked on the wrong door. Feel like it would be a huge dick move to just take your next door neighbor's food.

Patrolling the Mojave almost makes you wish for a nuclear winter.

•   StevenNL2000

You are literally given free food without having to lie.

The person who ordered the food is still going to get the food if they complain (which they will), and are more than likely going to either A) get it for free or B) get a big discount.

The person who takes the food gets free food without having to resort to mischief (i.e. just saying "thanks") - they might even be able to argue that they thought somebody just wanted to give them a free meal.

The only party suffering from this ordeal is the restaurant / delivery firm / delivery.
    The delivery driver didn't do their job right (delivered to wrong address).
    The restaurant / delivery firm hired the delivery driver and has to make a new batch in order to compensate. But since the delivery driver is an employee of the delivery firm / restaurant, this would mean that the restaurant has to make sure that this doesn't happen again (or too often) by e.g. reprimanding the delivery driver or by other means.

•   Miwojedk The delivery driver made a mistake, but by accepting the food, you are unduly inflicting harm on a party that did not, namely the restaurant. It is also likely that you have increased the harm to the delivery driver by escalating the situation from taking slightly too long to deliver at the correct address to not delivering at the correct address at all.

Miwojedk The person who ordered the food is still going to get the food if they complain (which they will), and are more than likely going to either A) get it for free or B) get a big discount.

Delivery service support isn't exactly instantaneous, and by the time the situation is resolved and the fact it was delivered to the wrong address was confirmed, it could be a good half hour on its own depending on a variety of factors. Then you've got to make and deliver that entire customer's order from scratch (not counting the fact that many restaurants are usually not in a position to be handing out free food). Now, aside from McDonald's, the other delivery services that operate in my area offer around a 45-60 minute wait time from the order is sent until the food arrives through your door at peak dinner time hours, although this could be as low as 25-35 on a quiet day.

So the customer is either going to get a refund, making them either buy food from somewhere else or empty the cupboards for something to eat (on top of an already lengthy delay of sorting it all out), or wait up to an hour and a half for their food to arrive. Again, this hour and a half is likely on top of the potential hour it already took to deliver the food to the wrong address, so it could be well in excess of 2 hours from they placed their order.

Can't forget the delivery driver will likely face unnecessary repercussions from delivering the food to the wrong address despite the person whose door they knocked on accepting it, as well as the restaurant, most of which operate on a slim enough profit margin, losing out on money and the time spent making two orders.

Patrolling the Mojave almost makes you wish for a nuclear winter.

•   StevenNL2000 The restaurant hired the delivery driver (DD) meaning that the delivery driver's mistake is their mistake. If the person who got the food mentions that the DD made a mistake, then that means the DD won't suffer any consequences for what is a pretty serious mistake.

As mentioned in my previous post: there is also no way (unless there's a receipt with the correct address) for the person accepting the food to know whether or not the food was actually meant for them.
    Say somebody just left the food at their doorstep and went on with their work- what would you have them do in this instance? The food is going to be cold by the time they pick it up again and deliver it to the rightful address, meaning they won't.

•   erin

Can’t forget the delivery driver will likely face unnecessary repercussions from delivering the food to the wrong address

Shouldn't they though? They made the mistake regardless if the person is willing to be honest or not (and in some cases it can be argued that honesty is not a factor if the person wrongfully delivered to thinks that somebody just wanted to give them a free meal)
    If the delivery driver is reprimanded for their mistake they certainly would look twice before delivering to a wrong address again. If the person who accepted the food not meant for them just tells them that they made a mistake, there are no consequences for what they did wrong.

• I'd take it if its something I like because free lunch lmfao. The driver made a mistake and that's their problem. If it's something that appears to be salad or some other bullshit, fuck that shit, I don't want it.

I've had the inverse happen in regards to this situation: my food was delivered to the wrong house so I had to fuckin go walk to the house and 'porch pirate' my food from someone else's house lmfao. Sometimes those drivers can be fucking braindead idiots.

javaw_VqNRNZdU6Q.png
    image.png
    image.png

Miwojedk You are literally given free food without having to lie.

Technically, by withholding the information that you did not order the food, you are being deceptive.

Miwojedk The person who ordered the food is still going to get the food if they complain (which they will), and are more than likely going to either A) get it for free or B) get a big discount.

They will get the food eventually, but it will probably be delayed, so they are being "harmed" in a way.

Miwojedk The only party suffering from this ordeal is the restaurant / delivery firm / delivery.

If you don't tell them, only one party suffers, but if you do, then no parties suffer (I wouldn't count missing out on free food as "suffering" since you would be just as well off if the mistake never happened).

Miwojedk this would mean that the restaurant has to make sure that this doesn’t happen again (or too often) by e.g. reprimanding the delivery driver or by other means.

So by informing the driver, you could be saving them from a reprimand by the company. I would think that would be a good thing, especially considering how sometimes drivers are forced to drive unsafely to meet delivery quotas/time goals.

Alco_Rs11 If it’s something that appears to be salad or some other bullshit, fuck that shit, I don’t want it.

based

2021-09-26_17.01.50.png

•   ThePyroManActualAccount

No delivery driver is losing their job over wrongful delivery.

If I make an error at my job of course I should be reprimanded to prevent that from happening again.

enchy

Technically, by withholding the information that you did not order the food, you are being deceptive.

Or I could be thinking that I have somebody near me that wants me to get lunch for free.

They will get the food eventually, but it will probably be delayed, so they are being “harmed” in a way.

But they will be either getting it for free or with a saving.

So by informing the driver, you could be saving them from a reprimand by the company. I would think that would be a good thing, especially considering how sometimes drivers are forced to drive unsafely to meet delivery quotas/time goals.

Why should I be expected to help them, when they make a mistake doing something they're getting paid to do? Reading an address is not especially hard. And again, say they simply left the food at my doorstep, what would you expect me to do?

•   Miwojedk I looked up whether or not it would be legal to do this, and I found a reddit thread talking about this: https://www.reddit.com/r/legaladvice/…d_delivered_to/

One interesting point raised in the comments is this: "It's easier and better for business to give it to you in this case as it would be cold by the time they sorted out the address issue and they will get a replacement order to the right place. You're also more like to order from them in the future."

My previous point was that if you said nothing, you harm the business, but if you say it is the wrong address, then nobody is harmed. However, if it really is easier and better for businesses to give it to you, then both options do not harm any party, making both options equally acceptable since nobody is harmed in both cases.

Miwojedk, you've gotten me

edit: yo what since when do reddit threads embed?

2021-09-26_17.01.50.png

•   Miwojedk frankly to me it isn't that much about the end consequences to any party involved in the situation, but rather that humans will do literally anything just to get a little bit ahead of another. In this case, the damage inflected isn't necessarily a big deal, but its still damage nevertheless. In my oppinion, i wouldn't consider it right to take advantage of somebody else's mistake but would rather consider it moral to help them do their job better. even if that means giving up a free sandwich