A change to the Skyblock server

• In the original Skyblock announcement thread, I left a response stating that from our server's history, we have learnt that things need to change every now and then to keep players interested. As the Skyblock server is now no better than Freedom-01 in terms of player retention, I'm suggesting a change to it.

Let's first look at why the server has failed. Firstly, Skyblock is a fun gamemode. However, keeping Skyblock permanently is not a good solution because our playerbase simply isn't big enough. A small playerbase means that people either stay on Skyblock or Freedom-01 - and it's usually the latter. Additionally, people have low attention span. Players have went on the server, had fun, got bored and stopped playing. This is a pattern we've seen before: remember the SMP?

My suggestion is to make it so that the Skyblock server's gamemode changes every month. By this I mean that the Skyblock server will not strictly be Skyblock only - instead we will change the gamemode every month, to other things like Factions or Bedwars, or even SMP. The benefit of this is that it will increase the chances of the Skyblock server not dying off completely - thus strengthening our network.

What are your thoughts on this?

• It's not an insignificant amount of effort that goes into creating / managing game modes... If we change a game mode regularly that feels like it fits more as an event type thing rather than a permanent fixture of the server.

I'm against the idea of rotating game modes in this way because I think it'll be a huge amount of dev / sys admin effort and I can't see how it'll actually help player retention compared to events even if those events ran for longer periods of time.

Wild1145

Network Owner at TotalFreedom

Managing Director at ATLAS Media Group Ltd.

Founder & Owner at MastodonApp.UK

• object.
    worst of all this will devalue the event server. this idea sounds like long-form events without the live hosting, which is the event server’s most redeeming quality. players won’t commit to the game modes once the rotation is no longer fresh and new. that’s why “this world does not regularly reset” is considered a selling point for f-01.

• So In short this doesn't really fit with my longer term strategy for the network, yes the skyblock game-mode needs some changes made, but I don't think changing them monthly is the answer.

Wild1145

Network Owner at TotalFreedom

Managing Director at ATLAS Media Group Ltd.

Founder & Owner at MastodonApp.UK