Wipe the backlog

Please Note: The TotalFreedom Forum has now been put into a read-only mode. Total Freedom has now closed down and will not be returning in any way, shape or form. It has been a pleasure to lead this community and I wish you all the best for your futures.
  • Our current backlog is way too long and doesn't have the development power to efficiently get through all of them at this point. My suggestion is to wipe the backlog and and let people resuggest them. Maybe even just wipe low priority suggestions that have been sitting there for more than a month.

At this point, most of the backlog is irrelevant at this point. This will also allow the development team to power through newer suggestions faster without having to worry about a backlog spanning longer than Joe Bidens presidency

• Object, this is a complete slap in the face to the countless suggestions people made, voted on, argued on, and actually cared for.

If this goes through then I would expect all suggestions to be treated as a joke because they could be wiped at any time.

Not only that, but you’re proposing to remove all of them? I’d assume this includes ones people deem as quite important - but even if we altered this suggestion to pick and choose which ones we remove, who will decide?

I get your frustrations at the backlog and lack of work regarding them, but perhaps we should look for an alternate solution rather than just completely remove them.

RedEastWood I’d assume this includes ones people deem as quite important

If they were deemed as quite important, they would not be a low priority on the backlog. I made this suggestion to help the development team out because at this rate with the number of suggestions left on that backlog I'd be surprised if we ever get through them. It sets quite a precedent when there are suggestions 8-10 months old that have not even been touched yet.

RedEastWood Object, this is a complete slap in the face to the countless suggestions people made, voted on, argued on, and actually cared for.

Having to wait 8-10 months, perhaps longer for your suggestion to be implemented isn't a complete slap in the face?

RedEastWood Not only that, but you’re proposing to remove all of them?

fionn Maybe even just wipe low priority suggestions that have been sitting there for more than a month.

RedEastWood but perhaps we should look for an alternate solution rather than just completely remove them.

Any alternate suggestions you can name off of the top of your head? I'd be more than happy to adapt this suggestion to suit the both of us if you can list a viable replacement for my current suggestion.

fionn Having to wait 8-10 months, perhaps longer for your suggestion to be implemented isn't a complete slap in the face?

I would say it’s better than completely removing them.

fionn If they were deemed as quite important, they would not be a low priority on the backlog.

I meant deemed important to individuals. For example, there is a task on the backlog that allows me to edit the welcome message new players receive. I definitely think that that is an important task, but it is low priority.

fionn Any alternate suggestions you can name off of the top of your head? I'd be more than happy to adapt this suggestion to suit the both of us if you can list a viable replacement for my current suggestion.

Perhaps as a community we can go through the majority of the tasks and agree on a few to be removed.

Although I still don’t actually see the value in doing this, because at the end of the day, it doesn’t really matter if you remove low priority tasks or not (for your end goal of speeding up dev work or decluttering, it definitely matters in the long run) - the devs are still working on the high priority tasks.

• object. please don't approve this.

if approved suggestions have become outdated in some form then we can re-evaluate them on a case-by-case basis. before that can happen, the issue tracker needs to become publicly viewable, and it needs to accept comments per-issue.

this suggestion is needlessly destructive, extremely hasty, not at all thought through, and severely makes me question your credibility as someone seeking power who is supposed to have the best interests for the server at heart. i am disappointed.

• So the short answer is this won't be happening. The backlog is just that, a backlog of work. It's regularly prioritized and what's most important is given to the Dev team to work on. Outside of that it's there to collate ideas and tasks over time that we can assign and pick up as needed.

It's doing exactly what it's intended to do. Anyone who disagrees should spend some time researching agile methodologies.

Wild1145

Network Owner at TotalFreedom

Managing Director at ATLAS Media Group Ltd.

Founder & Owner at MastodonApp.UK