Please Note: The TotalFreedom Forum has now been put into a read-only mode. Total Freedom has now closed down and will not be returning in any way, shape or form. It has been a pleasure to lead this community and I wish you all the best for your futures.
  • So basically my phone has been draining battery really fast. When I lived in California, the battery health was mostly ok. It was at 95% and seemed to be going down pretty slowly. Of course, after moving to Texas and it being much hotter there, my battery suffered. It has gone down 10% much faster now. So my battery health was at 85%. I knew it wasn't exactly at 80%, but it was gonna be at 80% soon enough and my battery life already sucked. I was losing 1-2% every few minutes even on standby. This was around the time I was going on a roadtrip. There are no Apple stores near my area. I was going to be passing through Denver so I decided to see if I could stop at their Apple store and get it done the same day. So I booked an appointment on Friday for Monday. The first annoyance is here. Despite my calling the phone number of the store, I was transferred to the default Apple support and it took me 20 minutes to get to a person. The person didn't actually even work for the store and could only make the appointment. They couldn't confirm if they had the parts or not. So I decided to take the gamble. I was at the Apple store right on time. I ended up waiting nearly 30 minutes for someone to help me. I kid you not, someone who walked in AFTER me got helped first by an Apple "Genius". The person was honestly not that nice and gave me an attitude. She said "the battery health is fine" and "you need to make a backup of your phone and the software is out of date". Ok buddy, but I wiped the phone entirely two weeks prior to see if that would help the battery drain. I would've not cared if it was actually wiped except I just was on a trip and took a bunch of pictures. So she said she does have the battery, but not a speaker?! That's right, they had to replace a speaker along with the battery?? Ok, I guess, but all the repair videos I saw on YouTube didn't show a replacement speaker. She said they could mail it in but all the data would be wiped. Like, why?? And keep in mind, she kept going to the staff room or something to get all of this information. So there was like a 5-10 minute each delay for every little thing. It felt like I was dealing with robots instead of just a normal conversation with a human. I left the store unsuccessful and it was frankly a waste of time. They also forced me to turn off Find My iPhone, why? Why do you need that turned off? You did everything else just fine. She wouldn't even give me a reason. I saw they had a repair shop literally down the street but it was too late to go. So what they said was a different Apple store would be in contact with me when they had a part available. This was the closest store to me, but it was still 4 hours away. I never got a call from them.
    So I decided to take it to uBreakiFix. They answered the phone and it was a human. Wow! They even CONFIRMED they had the part and could do same day as long as I brought it in before 4. Understandable. So the next day I was there at 10am and guess what? They had it done, no questions asked, in less than an hour. Of course, Apple is pissed and now saying it's not genuine. Boo fucking hoo, Apple. Since I'm jailbroken, I was able to see the actual health of the battery easily enough. And of course, it was brand new. The battery life has already been MUCH MUCH better now. So, fuck your customer service Apple. Of course, if there's a tweak that could get rid of the non genuine battery message, I'd install it but I haven't found one. This whole situation made me absolutely pissed at Apple and that a third party repair shop could do better.

• This is the exact reason as I much as I love Apple devices and all that good stuff, I am a huge supporter of right to repair, because it's often a common story...

I've had pretty good success with apple authorised resellers here, but peoples milage has varied, and I've only done one of those butterfly keyboard lifetime repair things which they tend to be pretty happy to just insta approve with little questions asked.

Wild1145

Network Owner at TotalFreedom

Managing Director at ATLAS Media Group Ltd.

Founder & Owner at MastodonApp.UK

• I like apple mainly because of the OS, and I personally can’t stand the Android OS.

I absolutely agree about the right to repair, and a lot of the stuff apple has done in the past is pretty sketchy.

I’m all the time hear about “apple is so expensive” but legitimately apple phones cost the exact same price as a samsung phone.

I bought an iPhone 12 3 weeks ago for $850 with the profits i made from my stocks, and I am very happy with it and it’ll probably last me 5 years.

What I like about apple is that I had my phone for 6 years, I got an iPhone 6S in 2015, and used it until I finally decided to upgrade a month ago.

• My iPhone 11 battery health seems to be going down, and I just got the phone in December of 2019. My maximum capacity is at 82%, which, after comparing to some of my other friends who have the same phone, is a little bit better. I've noticed my phone dies significantly faster after a year or so. I don't have any games on the phone (haha very funny), and I use it for Snapchat (I use ghost mode so location isn't really an issue), Discord, Email, YouTube, and streaming services like Disney+.

I will be getting the 13 Pro Max or 12S Pro Max, whichever they decide to stick with. I like Apple because of the OS, and I have a Macbook which seamlessly pairs to it, along with my AirPods Pro. I hope their CS gets better.

•   UnderTails Yeah that's why I'm getting my battery replaced. It's only 2.5 years old and I know this phone still has a lot of life left in it. I do have the money to upgrade to the 12 but I have no reason to. None of the features are compelling enough and I'll wait at least another 2 years before upgrading (assuming nothing goes catastrophically wrong)

Telesphoreo None of the features are compelling enough

That is legit the reason I kept using my iPhone 7 Plus until the 10 or 10s I think it was came out, at which point I jumped over to Android...

Wild1145

•   Ivan yeah I was considering buying the 12 Pro but decided against it. I got mine in March of 2019 and it was at 85%. Both places told me it didn't needed to be done (technically the message comes on at 80%) but I knew it needed to be done earlier. I have pretty similar usage to you but I'm also jailbroken which I assume has some effect on my battery life as well

•   UnderTails To me the "apple is expensive" applied to the fact it doesn't really give you as much as you're paying for. Yes, companies like Samsung and Huawei charge just as much (in some cases more) but I felt as if the price there was justified in most cases since in comparison you get more storage, options, battery capacity with those models than you do with the iPhone equivalent of those phones. Though apple has been getting some huge gains these days which has justified most of their prices, especially with its involvement in AR technology and the M1 chip on its iPads and Macs.

Still not sure if i'd pay the €1200 for iPhone pro max (the price listed on the official website) but I'd be fine with a price like say €800-900 (Close to the price i had paid for my Note9 which has similar specs to the iPhone 12 pro max), mainly because apple still is a lot behind in terms of battery capacity, RAM and storage, key factors that determine the long-term usability of a phone.

Other than that I agree to the whole right to repair statement, but Apple is known for this kinda stuff. I love the ecosystem based functions of apple and the only product I genuinely hate from them is their crappy magic mouse (Seriously who thought a touchscreen mouse was a good idea?)

According to quantum mechanics, unless something is observed, there is an equal chance of it both being and not being there. Hence it is said to be in superposition, until observed. However we are somehow fully certain, despite never having directly observed, that you indeed have no bitches. Your bitchlessness has broken the rules quantum mechanics had established. Indeed an impressive feat.

Beta_Alpha mainly because apple still is a lot behind in terms of battery capacity, RAM and storage, key factors that determine the long-term usability of a phone.

So this is a very common point, but generally a very poor comparison...

IOS and the software you can download to IOS is generally far far better optimised to run on the ecosystem, so you can get a much "Spec" but get the same if not better actual real world performance.

I've just been issued an iPhone 7 as my work phone, and it runs just as fast, and feels just as slick as my OnePlus 7T Pro which is significantly newer, despite the fact the OnePlus 7T Pro has a SUBSTANTIALLY higher hardware spec.

My only issue with cost to date has been the fact they charge the same for their phone as they do a laptop, which just never sat right with me, but I absolutely intend to buy the Pro / ProMax version of this years iPhone to replace my OnePlus 7T Pro, which will have done ~2 Years compared to my last iPhones 5-6 years...

And as you say later in your post, the ecosystem generally apple has really is something quite excellent...

Wild1145

• @'Ryan' I've heard a lot about the insane speeds in iOS and i won't deny that it's true, but from what I can tell that's only true for what Apple wants it to be true. Don't get me wrong, Apple being in total control of all sections of its products, especially the hardware and software, is exactly what makes it so well optimised, but this won't apply to all services a person would use on their phone. I've also had personal experiences of their system failing while using my Mac for certain workloads.

Though this is mostly coming from my years of Android use and the fact that i'm somewhat of a power user when it comes to phones means I'll need the extra specs.

Also, in the long term storage is 100% going to be an issue and even if iCloud exists in many cases expandable storage options are easier and smoother to manage for a mobile device. Apple also tends to offer smaller battery capacities than Android alternatives which makes a great impact as your battery ages over time.

According to quantum mechanics, unless something is observed, there is an equal chance of it both being and not being there. Hence it is said to be in superposition, until observed. However we are somehow fully certain, despite never having directly observed, that you indeed have no bitches. Your bitchlessness has broken the rules quantum mechanics had established. Indeed an impressive feat.

• Apple is trying to handicap third party repairs and even ban them outright. What Apple wants is for you to have to go to an Apple store and pay an outrageous amount of money for some minimal repair or minor part replacement. They want you to think: "Well I'm already paying a few hundred bucks and there are all these new phones around me, fuck it I might as well buy a new one."
    Right to Repair is a necessity because business practices like this are frankly disgusting and consumers need to stand up to Apple and similar companies.

2021-09-26_17.01.50.png

•   enchy Interestingly Apple was only charging $70 and uBreakiFix was charging $100. I believe after Apple was caught slowing down older iPhones because of the battery capacity they reduced the price and now it's more expensive but not as expensive as it initially was. Some things like a back glass replacement are literally so expensive it really does feel like they want you to get a new phone. I don't even think they actually replace the back glass, they outright replace it with a refurbished phone