Telnet for Mac Users Guide Oct. 2022

Please Note: The TotalFreedom Forum has now been put into a read-only mode. Total Freedom has now closed down and will not be returning in any way, shape or form. It has been a pleasure to lead this community and I wish you all the best for your futures.
  • “Telnet doesn’t work on Mac, what do I do??”. Well, here’s the long answer:

Telnet does not come with your Mac computer, you have to install the telnet package using a program called Homebrew. The only way to get Homebrew is to install it is by going to the website brew.sh (yes, that is a legitimate URL) and going to the installation page.

From then you want to install Homebrew by copying and pasting the line of code into your Terminal. From there Homebrew should be installed!

Now on to install telnet:

You want to run the command brew install telnet, if you don’t get any errors then you’re all set to connect to the TF Telnet.

If you do get errors, you must run brew doctor and then see what the issue is, but the only thing you really NEED to do is brew cleanup and then boom, you’re clean and you can finally run brew install telnet again.

If you are still getting errors, then your Mac version is outdated and needs to be updated to the latest version.

Once you have successfully installed the telnet package onto your Mac, you’re all set! You can connect to TotalFreedom!

If you want to clear the jumbled up mess after fighting with Homebrew like it’s a WWE match, just run clear and then you can gain your sanity again. Now once that’s done, the command you want to run to connect to TF is telnet mc-02.infra.totalfreedom.me 25625 and then BOOM, you can do your duties. But, there’s a catch.

If you own a macbook and want to do something while you’re away, I don’t really think you can because your IP changes and it asks for a password and the password I was told you can’t really get, and that’s the one thing that I don’t like.

But yeah, that’s basically it. If something doesn’t make sense, I can try and explain it a little easier.

Other ways to connect on Mac:

If you really want to make your life easier, you can download either ZeroTelnetClient or FreedomTelnetClient, you would just have to use the .jar file and not the .exe file.

To connect using those clients, input the command mc-02.infra.totalfreedom.me:25625 and when it asks for the server name, just put whatever you want.

Hub Moderator

Admin

Rhythm Game Enthusiast

Owner @ [REDACTED]

Edited 3 times, last by gamingto12: Edited to include links to both FreedomTelnetClient and ZeroTelnetClient and also removed the par that mentions which version of MacOS is the latest as it was not correct and will need constant editing. Also added the steps for connecting using FreedomTelnetClient or ZeroTelnetClient (November 28, 2022 at 4:54 PM).