Restricted Access to Server

Please Note: The TotalFreedom Forum has now been put into a read-only mode. Total Freedom has now closed down and will not be returning in any way, shape or form. It has been a pleasure to lead this community and I wish you all the best for your futures.
  • Allow Senior Admins to have some sort of restricted access to the server. It seems that Ryan is the only one with access, so when the server goes down for whatever reason (like it has the past two days), we can't start it unless he is online.

• @Telesphoreo#253 Not even the ability to start/stop the server? If we don't do this, we will definitely lose players. Yesterday the server went down for hours and it seems that will be the case again today. I think the ownership policy should be overlooked in this scenario as this will drastically affect our server. The ownership policy takes about a month (iirc) and I don't even think it has been initiated yet. This cannot keep on going for a whole month (waiting hours for Ryan to get online and start the server that is).

• ^^ to both of you:

Temporary Server Host Role
    The Executive Admin Officer may appoint a Temporary Server Host at their discretion if the owner spot is vacant. The Executive Admin Officer should seek counsel with the other executives before this appointment, but the Executive Admin Officer has the final say. The purpose of this role is to keep the server up, should it ever go down for an extended period of time. The Temporary Server Host will hold absolutely no additional decision making power and will not be permitted to make changes to server files like the permban list, admin list, or blocked commands list without seeking approval from the appropriate authorities first.

Changes aren't allowed to me made at all whatsoever unless signed off by the "appropriate authorities". I've been told by Wild this is why I can't have file access (and do my job), and why no one can be added to restart the server. It wouldn't take long to get Pterodactyl running which would solve this, but this is temporary (I guess, despite that we have Flarum running here now...)

I disagree with this entirely in the ownership policy, but that's what I've been told that we have to follow.

• Seniors already had access to start and stop the server from panel. If you're not allowed to make changes to how the server functions, and if your goal is to restore it to the point at which seth deleted it, then you (Packs) should have access to server files and panel should be set up.

• ^^ I was told that I wasn't allowed to have any access to the server at all (not stop or start, or server file access) because of the policy. According to the policy Wild is apparently the only one who can have access and he isn't allowed to make any changes whatsoever without going through fionn (???). The server is already restored to the point when Seth deleted everything, therefore I am not allowed to make any changes.

Right now the server is running in screen rather than through a panel. This means everyone who wants to have access to start/stop the server pretty much has to have file access as well. We had a few people who had server access, but it was a disaster. The database kept getting messed with and so did the config files. One of the things I agreed with Seth on is keeping the people with FTP at a very low count. Once any old senior has access to it, they love to dick around with it or "oh only change one little thing". I haven't been randomly removed from admin and TFM hasn't broken randomly ever since six people had access to the files.

We already have Flarum setup, there's no point in not installing Pterodactyl (which I know how to do, and would be happy to do). Besides TFM is already integrated with Pterodactyl so seniors can make their account in game. The Discord bot also relied on Pterodactyl for getting the status, and starting/stopping the server.

• Vouch.

While I agree that we should stick to policy where possible, this is a change that needs to be made to keep the server from experiencing annoying downtimes like this. Set up a fucking panel or even a Discord bot that can forcibly kill the server process. Just something that will work should be implemented.

image.png

• The server itself is back to how Seth left it, and I've intentionally not bothered setting up a panel because I don't know where the server will be hosted after the new owner comes in, and it seemed a massive waste of time. Especially given the server WAS performing very well on the temporary server and before we restored Seth's server files.

I've locked it down because last time when I gave more people access, there were unauthorised changes to server files by more than one person it seems, and it means it's impossible for me to track what's going on, and I get the blame for interfering with server files that I'm not allowed to touch, so it got locked down this time to just those on the ATLAS Corporate VPN, because it's my company who ultimately is paying for the server right now, and that's the only VPN I use and I've got a dynamic IP.

I don't care who gets added to the server, as long as all the executives agree (as per the ownership policy) and people don't come crying to me or hold me in any way responsible when server files are fucked with.

Also, we're not actually solving the problem here which is the server keeps crashing. As I say, it was absolutely fine before, but we're just restored 60 fucking gigabites of server world files... Including 1 world which is empty and nobody uses any more... I can give every senior admin on the server access to SSH if that's what's wanted, but it wont' stop the crashes, and that I think is actually what needs to be looked into here...

I have also proposed a solution to properly get the TotalFreedom discord bot the ability to kill and then start the server, which is what we need because something's causing the JVM to hang, which is why my uptime checks don't report the server as down, and ring my phone to alert me overnight... If that's something that people want to run with we can, but it still doesn't solve the root cause of the issue.

Wild1145

Network Owner at TotalFreedom

Managing Director at ATLAS Media Group Ltd.

Founder & Owner at MastodonApp.UK

• I think for the most part this has now been mitigated, a number of executives that are working closely with the ATLAS Team now have access to the server so can fix things if the bot's don't work, and the bot's have been updated to fix things for the most part but there are some teething issues that need to be worked through.

I won't open the server up to all the senior admins, but longer term the bot should be updated and fixed to work more reliably with this start / stop / kill process and those who need SSH / SFTP access will be granted such accesses.

Wild1145

Network Owner at TotalFreedom

Managing Director at ATLAS Media Group Ltd.

Founder & Owner at MastodonApp.UK