Filter Pi hole

Please Note: The TotalFreedom Forum has now been put into a read-only mode. Total Freedom has now closed down and will not be returning in any way, shape or form. It has been a pleasure to lead this community and I wish you all the best for your futures.
  • Quick question,

I'm wondering if it's possible to filter out all the CDN domains in the Pi hole list. For example, if I wanted to see if someone was on TikTok, I would see this:

I'm wondering if its possible to filter it so I can just see the domains (just tiktok.com and not p16-sign-va.tiktokcdn.com)

Also, I want to know if it's possible to change the client name

Currently it just shows the IP. I know there's a place to name your clients, but they don't actually appear on the query lists. I don't mind naming devices manually, but I don't understand the point of that if they don't show up in the query lists.

If these aren't possible, does anyone know of anything similar to Pi hole. I want to be able to host it off of something like a Raspberry Pi and not rely on some shady Chinese website or Cisco. Just wondering if there's something more feature rich than Pi hole

Thanks

• Go to Best Answer
  • Hiding subdomains isn't the best of ideas, they come in handy in lots of cases, mainly domain blacklisting, however it seems like those domains all have "tiktok" in them, and a quick Ctrl + F in Chromium/Firefox can show you any elements on the panel that contains the text you input.

As for the client ID thing, does it list a hostname anywhere?

• For the second point I did the same when I tied it into dhcp on windows server (though other options are out there) to automatically populate the host names of all the ip addresses. I wrote it up here https://blog.atlas-media.co.uk/2020/08/09/my-…erver-and-more/

Wild1145

Network Owner at TotalFreedom

Managing Director at ATLAS Media Group Ltd.

Founder & Owner at MastodonApp.UK

• @Reperak#4135 it's not just tiktok though. i want to only see the actual websites like youtube.com without 30 CDN domains in the way. im wondering if there's a way to filter it since almost every CDN server uses subdomains rather than the simple websites like Instagram.com or youtube.com. guess I'm used to netspective and it's not possible to get granular control with pi hole

• wild1145 November 2, 2022 at 6:30 PM

Selected a post as the best answer.