Discussing the best MC Version

Please Note: The TotalFreedom Forum has now been put into a read-only mode. Total Freedom has now closed down and will not be returning in any way, shape or form. It has been a pleasure to lead this community and I wish you all the best for your futures.
  • tier list of versions:

1: 1.12.2 solid performance, by far most common for modding and has dependable forge versions and mod support

2: 1.8.9 best version for pvp, ill always use this on pvp servers because 1.9 and after just sucks in every way. 1.8.9 also has some decent modding support

3: 1.16.5 best “newer” version. plenty of new features with solid performance and plenty of mods on both forge and fabric. having both forge and fabric mods is special to these newer versions which is cool, and even with multiple modloaders 1.16.5 has consistently good performance (for me at least). also it has hd heads and will be the glory version of tf for me, thats what i think about when i think of playing tf. would be higher but it doesnt have the same level of support as 1.12.2 and it has post 1.9 pvp

4: 1.7.10 super old and i wouldnt use it except for classic mods like the og mcheli. before 1.12.2 this was the best but it has been replaced by 1.12.2. still good tho for mods that were abandoned and not ported to 1.12.2

1.10.2 was a popular one for like 5 seconds, 1.14.4 too, but 1.13 never really got anything, 1.15 had the same deal, and 1.17 and newer dont have great support/performance

2021-09-26_17.01.50.png

• I personally don't give a fuck about the declined performance of updates because I have a good pc and there's plenty of very accessible mods to use to solve most of it (& I've never hosted servers for more than 5 people, which didn't really make a severe impact either)… So I'm just gonna vote based on the content and what I personally have positive memories of.

Beta 1.4: Far from perfect but this was where I started, I still have a lot of nostalgia for this paticular version, even if it didn't really last long. At this point all of the beta versions before 1.8 just feels like a completely different game, but it's still familiar enough to enjoy all the same.

1.5: I first started trying mods during this version, whether it was a load of laggy packs at the time or more standalone things. I mainly just hold this version so high because of a shapeshifterZ mod I used to play with and a server a developer hosted to play with others who used it. I met many good people there and I still kind of regret never having skype or any way of staying in touch after the server abruptly closed for good, as I only ever saw one person from there briefly again, a few months after that

1.17-1.18: I couldn't give any less of a fuck about the performance impact, I love the new caves and world generation and it was way the fuck overdue, same for 1.13's oceans. It's way easier and more common to find cool as fuck places to make bases now rather than always sticking to shattered fucking savannahs for mountains or a shitty hill of the actual "extreme" hills.

1.9: Elytras. That's it, that's what I loved. The combat was also not really something I minded, I prefer the current version for when I don't want to obliterate my hands for hours holding sprint and spam clicking just to "combo". Plus I mainly play pve anyway, so makes little difference to me. (Yeah I prefer 1.8 for pvp although won't ignore how fucking stupid it feels sometimes, both systems have flaws and I doubt the upcoming one will solve any of them enough to make people happy. Fuck that shitty bow change, revert that shit asses who gives a fuck about realism)

1.7 since I believe that was when amplified worlds were introduced? Until 1.17-1.18 world gen this solved most of my issues with old world gen and shit will never not look phenomenonal with shaders

videogamesm12 The whole reason some servers like 2b2t haven’t updated in years

Interestingly enough, 2b2t has launched a test server running 1.18.2 with the original world (which seems to be going well so far) and has now allowed people to connect with 1.18.2 to the original server. Though, connecting to 1.12.2 2b2t with 1.18.2 can be kind of buggy.