Issue with bots spamming commands/logs/console.

Please Note: The TotalFreedom Forum has now been put into a read-only mode. Total Freedom has now closed down and will not be returning in any way, shape or form. It has been a pleasure to lead this community and I wish you all the best for your futures.
  • Command spam is a category 3 minor offence that may warrant a warning, smite, mute and even a temporary ban depending on the severity and whether the OP heeds the admins warnings. If continued this may even warrant a 24 hour ban as per Category 2-c Guidance: (Repeated minor offences may warrant a 24 hour ban).

Well, this is how players are treated at least if they break the category 3 minor offences repeatedly. Somehow it seems that bots appear to bypass this rule because nobody has done anything when the EpsilonBot spammed commands from 14:32:23 until 15:45:57 (as the logs show). I do not know how could anyone find this tolerable.

Cacteu seems to share my view on this which is why I decided to mention him here.

Anyways, here's a cropped log for a small part of the ordeal: (7 minutes out of 1 hour and 13 minutes of spam).

Full log at: https://discord.com/channels/76965…570383555338281
    (Admin Discussions on TF Discord)

• So what I wanna know, if a bot ever spams like this again, can I take any reasonable measures to prevent it from spamming? Maybe smiting or force-killing it should stop it from sending commands, can't access chat when dead.

If that doesn't work, maybe kicking it off the server would do the trick.

• I think we've gone more lenient on the matter over time, unless somebody comes with a good argument other than "it just makes harder for admins to scroll chat or read the logs" since that's what I've learned was the main reason. The bot's slow enough to not harm the server's performance.

Another reason many of us are less strict about that is because now the only enforceable part of the rules is the Community Guidelines, while the old rules are now just a reference for admins to decide what should be the more appropriate action depending on the nature of the offence. A system like this looks harder because enforcing strict rules like a robot's way easier, but people get used to it reasonably fast.

That being said, if the bot developer turns uncooperative, a course of action for failing to listen to admins is indeed appropriate. Just avoid unnecessary escalation, we've had enough bad admins in recent times, causing mistrust in the team by the community.

TotalFreedom's Executive Community & Marketing Manager

• LightUK I've contacted hhhzzzsss about his bot. He's said some player must have misused the repair function that was supposed to fix small mistakes. He'll likely restrict the command to himself.

If you spot players summoning the bot for repairing builds, tell them that griefs must be reported to staff.

TotalFreedom's Executive Community & Marketing Manager

• If one starts spamming logs, I might try and crash it like how I would do it to the Akefu Raider. I have not explored if this is a viable solution so it would possibly be worth exploring as a way to prevent spam.

Edit: Crashing only works with in-game players.

Honestly, if it's spamming logs, find and contact the creator, tell them to turn it off or stop it from rejoining, and if they refuse to cooperate, sanction them appropriately.

javaw_VqNRNZdU6Q.png
    image.png
    image.png